Dad had a mini-stroke

Integral

Hey guys,

On Wednesday my Dad had a transient eschemic attack (TIA), or mini-stroke. It lasted only about 10 seconds and he has suffered no lasting damage, but we are very much taking it as a warning stroke and are banding together to get my Dad all the help he needs to prevent anything like this from happening again.

We went to A&E on Wednesday and saw a Dr. who performed some tests, gave my Dad some Aspirin and made a referral to a consultant neurologist whom we will be seeing on Tuesday. He also sent my Dad off to get some blood tests, which my Dad did the next day. Apparently they took six bottles of blood so I assume it was quite an in-depth set of tests.

My Dad is 50, a full-time cab driver often working up to 80 hours per week, and suffers from high-blood pressure and possibly high cholesterol.

He's been on Ramipril (blood pressure tablet) for 10 years.

He is pretty much sedentary and sits in his cab all day.

Since the TIA we've been working on improving his lifestyle and nutritional choices to try and lower the risk of a stroke and try to bring some of his issues under control. We've started going on 30 minute daily walks. We're trying to get him to eat balanced meals every four hours. We're trying to get him to get more sleep, but it's difficult as he is a workaholic.

I want to do all I can to help him and bring his body into balance to really put in all the measures we can to prevent a stroke from occuring. Any imput anyone has will be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks,
Integral.

burtlancast

Firstly, i would ask myself how efficient is Ramipril to prevent strokes ?

Judging by this study of 9000 people over 4 years, the reduction in risk is 1.5%....

Now, workaholics seldom take the time to eat right: i would make sure his meals are home made and don't contain any known hidden additives like MSG, aspartame, etc

Then, there's 3 proven therapies able to help the cardio vascular system:

- Vit E, at 800UI per day, is known to make strokes and heart attacks almost impossible. Furthermore, it can lower elevated blood pressure after 1.5-2 months of use

- Chelation can safely unclog arteries of their fibrous deposits and prevent heart attacks and strokes while improving circulation

- The Linus Pauling protocol ( vit C + proline ) can likewise unclog arteries in some people

Then, the usual supplements able to help thyroid function: grated carrot, pregnenolone, aspirin, niacinamide, orange juice, coconut oil, coffee, (goat) milk

OP
Integral

Integral

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate them. It's been highly stressful for our family lately but my Dad has been feeling normal and I'm sure if we take the correct action he will be OK.

OP
Integral

Integral

My Dad's Neurology appointment was today. He saw a consultant. My Dad is doing great, and there were no real concerns from the tests done, but the whole experience was pretty pathetic and the standard of care was poor.

The appointment was at 10:20AM. It wasn't until 11:10AM that the consultant was able to see my Dad after being tied up on the ward. She saw him for about five minutes, sent us to go get a CT scan and an X-Ray, and wasn't really open to any of the questions I wanted to ask.

Got the CT scan done pretty fast, and then we went to the X-Ray department and they told us nothing had been sent through on the system so we had to go back to find the consultant and ask her to put it through correctly. The consultant was back on ward at that point, so we waited a further hour for her to come back and tell us she wanted us to go to get a doppler test at the nuclear medicine clinic which was in the X-Ray centre. We got the doppler test done pretty quickly, and then went back to find the consultant, for whom we waited a further 45 minutes.

When the consultant finally saw us, she explained the scans came back as fine, and that there was no clear reason behind the TIA. She prescribed my Dad a blood thinner and a statin, and that was it. I asked her for some advice on how my Dad can prevent a stroke and wanted some imput on lifestyle modifications, for which she just said 'Well just try eating more low-fat products and you'll be fine'. There was no follow up appointment scheduled, so we're pretty much on our own.

Overall the consultant was very detached from the situation and didn't seem to give a damn. I was clear I wanted to do all I can to help my Dad prevent a stroke but she was quite rude about it and made some snide comments. I was going to run through some suggestions made to me, such as supplementing with Vitamin E, trying the Linus Pauling protocol, and possibly considering chelation therapy, but my Dad and I were pretty much rushed out, given no support other than meds which from what I've read only lower risks of stroke by a paltry 1%....

I'm very dissapointed in how my Dad's TIA was handled by the NHS, but it was truly taught me the lesson that you need to be your own health advocate and take control of your health yourself.

My Dad has been walking much more and eating an improved diet. His blood pressure tested at 126/90 today in the hospital, and the tests we've done at home have been around 135, which is great considering he was coming as high as 180-190 years ago, but we're going to keep pushing to improve his health.

Thanks.

tara

Sorry about your Dad's TIA - 50 is young, glad he's better.

What blood thinner? Low dose aspirin is commonly used for this, and doesn't have some of the negative side effects of some of the others.

I don't think most doctors get much education about nutrition - helpful as it would be if they knew more, it's probably not a realistic expectation of most of them at this time.

burtlancast

Yes, blood thinners are proven dangerous drugs, and can be safely replaced by 800 UI Vit E.
As far as statins go.... :?
These are straight poisons.

P

Peatness

Firstly, i would ask myself how efficient is Ramipril to prevent strokes ?

Judging by this study of 9000 people over 4 years, the reduction in risk is 1.5%....

Now, workaholics seldom take the time to eat right: i would make sure his meals are home made and don't contain any known hidden additives like MSG, aspartame, etc

Then, there's 3 proven therapies able to help the cardio vascular system:

- Vit E, at 800UI per day, is known to make strokes and heart attacks almost impossible. Furthermore, it can lower elevated blood pressure after 1.5-2 months of use

- Chelation can safely unclog arteries of their fibrous deposits and prevent heart attacks and strokes while improving circulation

- The Linus Pauling protocol ( vit C + proline ) can likewise unclog arteries in some people

Then, the usual supplements able to help thyroid function: grated carrot, pregnenolone, aspirin, niacinamide, orange juice, coconut oil, coffee, (goat) milk
That study on Ramipril has disappeared.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals