Glycine is too damn inhibitory for me. Excitatory neurotransmitters are just as important

tommyg130

So I know many will agree that excitatory and inhibitory need to be in balance. However I’d say excitatory neurotransmitter action and excitotoxicity gets blamed too often.

In the sense that glycine supplements and gelatin and lowering glutamate etc lowering estrogen etc are often reccomended for many complaints. Will it help many. Yes sure.

So Ive done so many of these things and felt worse or no results. And then I really figured out my situation once i ramped up the glycine and gelatin. It’s just too damn inhibitory for me. I took magnesium glycinate often and gelatin, but kept blaming it on the magnesium. Until I switched forms.

Glycine constantly gives me a very slow heart beat/anxiety feeling. I often chalked it to up to oh it’s just relaxing me. But it just never feels right.

I stop glycine and gelatin and feel better right away. I’m confused. So I do some digging. I have very low norepinephrine(which ray speaks FAVORABLY of). Very low histamine, and very low estrogen. So it makes sense that I don’t need to tilt the balance towards inhibitory any more.

I realize the benefits of glycine though and it’s not like I have too much glycine, I just dont have enough excitatory action going on. So when I take gelatin I just add additional l-proline as that can convert to glutamate, or just straight glutamine itself/ and I’ve used l-histidine. All seem unpeaty but so be it. Works for me. WhAt I’m really trying to do long term is get my excitatory system working more. I think I’m lacking copper/copper toxic. Some sort of defiency Trying to boost the enzymes to support histamine/estrogen/glutamate. Might be the opposite of most ppls problems, but it is mine.

Can anyone relate ? I think this is why many feel a little wonky w glycine/gelatin. It’s just pushing them too far towards an inhibitory vibration and they’re already low energy and it’s slowing them down even more. Too calm. Where as for some ppl glycine can give energy. We’re all unique

youngsinatra

Too low stress is definitely not a desirable state in my opinion. You will feel unmotivated, have no thrill for life, have blank mind, lacking charisma and have a generally very fatigued body.

Too much stress is definitely not good either, but the middle ground is where it‘s best.

I had copper deficiency too and dealt with low norepinephrine. Copper deficiency is in fact known to cause low norepinephrine by being involved in enzymatic reactions that convert dopamine to norepinephrine.

Copper is also involved in iron homeostasis and iron is important for proper NMDA functioning / glutamate signaling.

I feel pretty off from things that increase acetylcholine and/or things that are NMDA antagonists. I think the low copper phenotype is stuck in parasympathetic dominance and acetylcholine can worsen that state even further.

OP
T

tommyg130

Yes I figured that out recently as well. I have HIGH dopamine low norepinephrine. I connected some dots when I realized the DBH enzyme is copper dependent like you said.

And after donating blood my iron hasn’t bounced back, and I’ve eaten a ton my whole life and still. No way I’m actually iron deficient. How did you fix your copper?

I feel like it’s sometimes not as simple as just adding copper. It’s getting the system to use it’s own copper effectively again?! What ya think?

youngsinatra

Yes I figured that out recently as well. I have HIGH dopamine low norepinephrine. I connected some dots when I realized the DBH enzyme is copper dependent like you said.

And after donating blood my iron hasn’t bounced back, and I’ve eaten a ton my whole life and still. No way I’m actually iron deficient. How did you fix your copper?

I feel like it’s sometimes not as simple as just adding copper. It’s getting the system to use it’s own copper effectively again?! What ya think?
I had diagnosed zinc-induced copper deficiency and because zinc reduces copper absorption so significantly, even after you withdraw zinc, I needed a source of exogenous copper.

I use copper bisglycinate powder and dissolve a small amount of it in hot liquid. Much better tolerated than the tablets with all sorts of additives. I use microspoons to measure out the amount of copper.

I use 4-8mg a day for 6 months now and copper is slowly getting up there luckily. :)

I used the very expensive MitoSynergy for 1.5 months, but I honestly got back on the copper glycinate 2 weeks ago with better results.

OP
T

tommyg130

I had diagnosed zinc-induced copper deficiency and because zinc reduces copper absorption so significantly, even after you withdraw zinc, I needed a source of exogenous copper.

I use copper bisglycinate powder and dissolve a small amount of it in hot liquid. Much better tolerated than the tablets with all sorts of additives. I use microspoons to measure out the amount of copper.

I use 4-8mg a day for 6 months now and copper is slowly getting up there luckily. :)

I used the very expensive MitoSynergy for 1.5 months, but I honestly got back on the copper glycinate 2 weeks ago with better results.
Got it thanks. That’s interesting w acetylcholine because it can act as both inhibitory and excitatory. But it drives parasympathetic like you said, and NDMA antagonist would lower glutamate so overall you’d get too much inhibitory/parasympathetic tone. I see

What raises acetylcholine and lowers NDMA that I should stay away from? I do eat about 5-6 eggs a day so maybe I should slow down. Lastly what can be an AGONIST, not antagonist to NDMA. You said iron is a cofactor. Anything else? Of course to copper to regulate the iron.

Thank you 🙏🏻

FrostedShores

I feel no difference from glycine at all. Even at high doses (60g glycine + additional gelatin/collagen), I don't notice anything - no tiredness, no grogginess, no reduction in anxiety, nothing... Recently, I started just taking gelatin/collagen and not bothering with glycine by itself. Again, no difference.

OP
T

tommyg130

I feel no difference from glycine at all. Even at high doses (60g glycine + additional gelatin/collagen), I don't notice anything - no tiredness, no grogginess, no reduction in anxiety, nothing... Recently, I started just taking gelatin/collagen and not bothering with glycine by itself. Again, no difference.
I guess you’re just neutral to it !

OP
T

tommyg130

Is that possible? lol

I have strong reactions to other amino acids, so glycine is kinda weird for me.
Anything is possible I suppose.
It’s strange bc usually ppl respond somewhat one way or the other because it’s an impactful amino acid.

Dave Clark

Mercury {Hg} has the same oxidation state, 1,2 as copper does. Make sure you are not Hg toxic or even if you are not toxic, that you have none in your system. Hg will displace Cu and Fe in the cells, causing deficiency in the cell, creating 'free' Fe and Cu which either catalyzes the hydroxyl radical via the Fenton reaction, or causes it to store in tissue {toxicity}. Listen to Dr. Haley talk about that:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wKvvhv7SA

OP
T

tommyg130

Mercury {Hg} has the same oxidation state, 1,2 as copper does. Make sure you are not Hg toxic or even if you are not toxic, that you have none in your system. Hg will displace Cu and Fe in the cells, causing deficiency in the cell, creating 'free' Fe and Cu which either catalyzes the hydroxyl radical via the Fenton reaction, or causes it to store in tissue {toxicity}. Listen to Dr. Haley talk about that:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wKvvhv7SA

Thank you! Watched that tons of times. I’m definitely toxic I had 16 fillings removed 6 months ago. I just don’t know what’s it done to other minerals and I’m trying to figure it out. Htma coming back tmrw. I think I’m copper deficient but also toxic. So really you think w mercury it’s like I have tons of mercury and iron in the body, but the mercury is causing issues w copper and iron being “stuck” or not useable. Once I clear mercury things should normalize ? I have OSR on hand but haven’t used it yet

Dave Clark

Thank you! Watched that tons of times. I’m definitely toxic I had 16 fillings removed 6 months ago. I just don’t know what’s it done to other minerals and I’m trying to figure it out. Htma coming back tmrw. I think I’m copper deficient but also toxic. So really you think w mercury it’s like I have tons of mercury and iron in the body, but the mercury is causing issues w copper and iron being “stuck” or not useable. Once I clear mercury things should normalize ? I have OSR on hand but haven’t used it yet
I would definitely start the OSR. You may have to go low and slow, as some people do, although others could start right off with like 100 mg and work up to 300 mg/day. You need to do that at least for a few months, until much of the Hg is cleared, and then I suggest at least doing a few days/week maintenance. Be careful with the hair tests results, they may tell you you don't have a Hg problem, but not 'all' the Hg is detected in the hair test, Hg can go into deep tissue, which won't be represented in a hair analysis. Yes, Hg causes copper and iron dysregulation by displacing them in the cell, where they are needed to make ATP and endogenous antioxidant enzymes, and by that, allowing them to become unbounded and available to react and make hydroxyl radicals, responsible for most oxidative damage. These unbound minerals can also deposit, causing the toxicity that people experience. Note in the video Boyd says that after his wife got her Hg out, her anemia vanished. Even if people don't have Hg amalgams, everyone has been vaccinated with vaccines containing thimerasol {Hg}, on top of the Hg found in foods, water, air, etc. Also, keep your elimination systems running properly, urine, stool, etc. to excrete the NBMI bound Hg as efficiently as possible.

OP
T

tommyg130

I would definitely start the OSR. You may have to go low and slow, as some people do, although others could start right off with like 100 mg and work up to 300 mg/day. You need to do that at least for a few months, until much of the Hg is cleared, and then I suggest at least doing a few days/week maintenance. Be careful with the hair tests results, they may tell you you don't have a Hg problem, but not 'all' the Hg is detected in the hair test, Hg can go into deep tissue, which won't be represented in a hair analysis. Yes, Hg causes copper and iron dysregulation by displacing them in the cell, where they are needed to make ATP and endogenous antioxidant enzymes, and by that, allowing them to become unbounded and available to react and make hydroxyl radicals, responsible for most oxidative damage. These unbound minerals can also deposit, causing the toxicity that people experience. Note in the video Boyd says that after his wife got her Hg out, her anemia vanished. Even if people don't have Hg amalgams, everyone has been vaccinated with vaccines containing thimerasol {Hg}, on top of the Hg found in foods, water, air, etc. Also, keep your elimination systems running properly, urine, stool, etc. to excrete the NBMI bound Hg as efficiently as possible.
Thanks for the info. And yes I agree. I’m working w someone who I believe is very knowledgeable and understands low hair mercury doesnt mean you can’t be toxic. He looks at overall ratios and trends that could indicate toxicity even if hair levels are low. The only reason I’m pausing the OSR is because I want to mineral replenish whatver is down so my system can do the most once osr is introduced. However I understand mercury is causing the depletion so it’s always like playing catch-up. Once I start adding in whatver minerals I need following htma I’ll add in OSR simultaneously.

TheSir

Be careful with the hair tests results, they may tell you you don't have a Hg problem, but not 'all' the Hg is detected in the hair test, Hg can go into deep tissue, which won't be represented in a hair analysis
Mercury toxicity can apparently be indirectly identified from hair when the levels are very low, which signifies difficulty with eliminating Hg. 0.03mg% and less would point towards poor elimination, with the body being more toxic the lower the number is. Mine is 0.009mg% though my toxicity symptoms aren't very obvious -- or perhaps I'm just used to it.

OP
T

tommyg130

Mercury toxicity can apparently be indirectly identified from hair when the levels are very low, which signifies difficulty with eliminating Hg. 0.03mg% and less would point towards poor elimination, with the body being more toxic the lower the number is. Mine is 0.009mg% though my toxicity symptoms aren't very obvious -- or perhaps I'm just used to it.
Yes exactly . High in the hair would actually be somewhat of a good problem. Shows your body is making strides detoxing it

artist

Vitamin C converts dopamine to norepinephrine. Not that one would desire this effect, but might be worth noting. And I agree, not every substance is for everyone. I have just recently been able to tolerate vitamin C and have long relied on glycine to dig me out of bad high adrenaline states. It’s a complex puzzle and there’s really no reason any supplement “should” be tolerated imo. It totally depends on if you need it.

OP
T

tommyg130

Vitamin C converts dopamine to norepinephrine. Not that one would desire this effect, but might be worth noting. And I agree, not every substance is for everyone. I have just recently been able to tolerate vitamin C and have long relied on glycine to dig me out of bad high adrenaline states. It’s a complex puzzle and there’s really no reason any supplement “should” be tolerated imo. It totally depends on if you need it.
Yes we’ll copper and vitamin C. And one would want it when they have high dopamine too high. It needs to convert to its end product! At least a little !

japanesedude

Low dose glycine is sedative but I have never felt good on it. on the other hand highdose glycine always makes me feel good.
I always make sure taking them after a bigmeal and drink cola.

FrostedShores

So I posted previously in this thread stating that glycine does nothing for me; however, I've recently upped my intake of collagen/gelatin, and I have to say, it's making quite the difference. My inflammation is way down, my brain fog is gone, and I've been more active. Someone mentioned in another thread (I can't remember which one) that, according to Chris Masterjohn, the glycine in collagen/gelatin is more easily absorbed than just taking straight glycine. I believe this was my issue. I've also increased my sodium intake - not sure if sodium interacts with glycine in any way, but it's possible.

In regards to this thread's original topic, I haven't experienced any anxiety from higher doses of collagen/gelatin. I have noticed a slower heart rate, though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals