My Observations On Glycine. Reaction May Indicate Level Of Fatigue

I have been supplementing with glycine off and on for several years, however I am new to Peating and in the years before 2018 I was underfed and had a slow metabolism. Recently it has occurred to me that as my metabolism has begun to improve so has my experience with glycine. I thought I would post about it here in case it is of interest to anyone, or if anyone would like to chime in on this concept I am presenting, please pardon me if this is already common knowledge around here - to me it is a new finding.

My thoughts are if one were to take 1 gram glycine in the morning with juice and they experience a big drop in energy - that is a fairly clear sign their metabolism is out of shape - and more so that their cortisol reserves are depleted. My hypothesis is that you can get a general idea for how depleted your cortisol is by testing the reaction to glycine.

In 2013-2016 I would take 1 to 2 grams glycine to help with sleep, I wanted to take more throughout the day but it always made me too sleepy and I would give up after several days of feeling zombified. In 2017 I supplemented little to no glycine. Towards the start of this year I was still struggling to rekindle my metabolism and experienced the same sluggishness if I took glycine in the day, not only that but it would drop my temperature by almost a full degree if I took even just 1 gram in the morning with juice, I decided again to start using it simply to help with sleep.

Within the past month my body temperature has been doing very well. All of the peating has started to pay off. Because I know the importance of getting more glycine, I decided to try taking it again, not expecting anything different, but I have some shoulder injury that is slowly healing and I know that extra glycine would help. Well I am pleased to report that for this week I have been reacting very positively to the glycine, it is like a switch was flipped, I now can tolerate 5 or 6 grams spread out through the day without any feeling of sluggishness, and without any drop in body temperature. I began taking 50mg pregnenolone daily a few months ago, and I have read that somewhere downstream it can convert into cortisol, I have a feeling I have that partly to thank.

I think there is something about the reaction to glycine and ones general state of health. It is very exciting to see all the pieces start to fit together! If you do not tolerate gelatin well (I don't) and also have felt knocked out from glycine, I hope this may give you some hope to remember to try again after a few months of more peating!

Last edited:

somuch4food

I also felt a drop in temperature from gelatin. My hands became cold.

Why are you saying that this is a sign that cortisol is depleted?

nigma

I was feeling very drowsy and spacey after trying 8g glycine per day a la Joel Brind. While your having 6 grams glycine how much total protein are you having in a day?

Any further updates on your experience with it?

baccheion

There are glycine receptors in the brain. In addition, glycine can serve as a coagonist (w/ glutamate) at NMDA receptor sites. It can be stimulating (NMDA agonist) or sedating (GABA-like effects) depending on the way in which the body is flowing.

In lowering high serotonin (associated with stimulation/insomnia), it can result in sleepiness. If serotonin was already lowish, I suppose it could cause depression.

CLASH

The rebound coming off glycine sucks for 2-3 days. Anxiety on another level. As mentioned its a neurotransmitter, I would opt for collagen peptides over pure glycine. Taurine is much better as a supplement for an individual amino.

Jib

I've been doing well on glycine. I've been taking it with taurine as well as creatine, and sometimes by itself.

2g glycine
2g taurine
2g creatine

In grape juice. 2-3x a day. I've just recently tried taking glycine by itself to get even more in, like 2 or 4g doses, totaling around 8g or 10g glycine per day.

I haven't noticed feeling too sluggish taking 2g here and there throughout the day. But a nighttime dose of 4g or more seems to make me very sleepy. Thankfully. I usually have pretty horrible insomnia so the sleepiness from higher doses of glycine is welcome.

sladerunner69

I've been doing well on glycine. I've been taking it with taurine as well as creatine, and sometimes by itself.

2g glycine
2g taurine
2g creatine

In grape juice. 2-3x a day. I've just recently tried taking glycine by itself to get even more in, like 2 or 4g doses, totaling around 8g or 10g glycine per day.

I haven't noticed feeling too sluggish taking 2g here and there throughout the day. But a nighttime dose of 4g or more seems to make me very sleepy. Thankfully. I usually have pretty horrible insomnia so the sleepiness from higher doses of glycine is welcome.

I've tried as high as 15g before bed with aspirin and magnesiumand it certainly does the trick to get me asleep. However some days I wake up feeling so tired that I think it is carrying over to the next day,

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals