Taurine And Glycine Combo-horrible Sleep

Kunder

(Gelatin) just takes a little more time to prepare. You can't just dissolve it in warm liquid like collagen. You still have to dissolve it in cool water to let it partially dissolve before introducing hot water for it to completely dissolve.

I think you have it wrong. Gelatin disolves in warm or hot water completely, the temperature (and stirring) only determines how long it takes.

yerrag

I think you have it wrong. Gelatin disolves in warm or hot water completely, the temperature (and stirring) only determines how long it takes.
Gelatin will clump when you put it directly in hot water.

whodathunkit

I agree that gelatin would be preferable over collagen. It just takes a little more time to prepare. You can't just dissolve it in warm liquid like collagen. You still have to dissolve it in cool water to let it partially dissolve before introducing hot water for it to completely dissolve.
That's a good tip! I've been sprinkling it into hot or boiling water. Maybe the pre-dissolve will help it work better. I still use it occasionally, it's just not my preferred way to get gelatin. However, my problem with powder isn't dissolution...I don't have problems with clumping. Careful sprinkling and stirring while sprinkling gets you around the clumping. It's the gut issues, that occur when I use a lot of it (4+ tablespoons per day), even when it's well cooked (boiled, not just dissolved in very hot water). And the taste. And the sticky. The sticky really bothers me. LOL

Broth is kind of a PITA, but like with all cooking, there's a learning curve. Obtaining good bones and oxtail being the main issue. Scalding the bones/tail sections before cooking to get rid of any bacteria that can mar the taste of the broth being the second biggest PITA. Straining when it's done is not so bad. I don't use veggies in my broth...just some good onion powder and garlic powder. Salt to taste with each individual serving after it's cooked.

Never considered the sugar issue before...glycine has never given me problems when I sleep. But maybe it's not a bad idea to add a little juice to the mix.

If you think about hydrolysate, because it doesn't gel, something big has been processed out of it to make it "easy to use". Perhaps the very thing that makes gelatin so valuable has been processed out...? IMO it's the gelling proteins or whatever (sorry, my chemistry/biology of connective tissue is weak) that make gelatin powder and broth the most valuable to us. Take the gelling proteins away from broth and you still have minerals, plus some protein from the marrow and the meat that was clinging to the bones. But if you take those gelling proteins away from the powder made from hooves and horns, what's left besides empty powder?

I don't know if that's right. That's just what I theorize after realizing that hydrolysate really doesn't work, at least not at doses that make it an economical option for me. It may work at very large doses like you're taking, since there is probably some residual or component of the gelling proteins left in collagen powder, but I don't want to go through 20 tablespoons or even 10 tablespoons per day of something that expensive.

Caveat to my comments is that I have poor digestion. So that may factor into my lack of results with hydrolysate. Maybe everything really is all there and I just can't break it down enough to be useful to me. I dunno.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sagitarrius90

Update...

Yesterday I took around total 4g glycine and 6g taurine ....this was first thing in the morning before everyone advice about going conservative and again bad sleep..
Woke up a few times and my fit bit recorded only light sleep and very little rem and deep sleep...so I will skip gym again so i dont dig a further hole... today my goal is 2g glycine and .5 taurine and will report back... adding 1mg melatonin as well! Oh and 3 4 doses of theanine thoughtout the day to help with increased cortisol from lack of sleep

raypeatclips

Update...

Yesterday I took around total 4g glycine and 6g taurine ....this was first thing in the morning before everyone advice about going conservative and again bad sleep..
Woke up a few times and my fit bit recorded only light sleep and very little rem and deep sleep...so I will skip gym again so i dont dig a further hole... today my goal is 2g glycine and .5 taurine and will report back... adding 1mg melatonin as well! Oh and 3 4 doses of theanine thoughtout the day to help with increased cortisol from lack of sleep

6g is a huge dose of taurine to start off with. Not worrying about lack of sleep I think is best. Just go about your day at a slower pace, avoid the gym yes. Just think to yourself "wow am I tired" but not in a negative way, just accept you're tired and had a bad nights sleep last night. On days where I have slept poorly I often think, I can't wait to have an amazing sleep tonight, and look forward to being able to go to bed that night. "Chasing off" a bad nights sleep never worked for me.

yerrag

It's much more effective to put gelatin in cold/cool water and let it grab all the water it needs over a couple minutes. Then you heat it up and won't have clump problems.

Trust me.
Thanks for saying it for me.

OP
S

Sagitarrius90

Yesterday had .5 taurine and 2g glycine 1g before bed...sleep was okay for the first night in 3 days... Maybe it was the fact I was taking too much taurine and glycine in the first two days or the fact that maybe I was not eating enough ....

OP
S

Sagitarrius90

Thought I would bump this thread but

Every since I started taking glycine taurine aspirin and theanine I've felt calmer and more tired during the day but cannot sleep at night and my guess and want other people's opinions but I'm thinking it's lowering my cortisol almost too low .... I have had some significant stress in my life and I'm only 26 but I tend to have all the signs like tired in the morning and day awake at night etc . I am thinking since this is so individual based that maybe it' the low cortisol that is making it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep

Thoughts anyone?? I don' want to stop taking these supplements as my mood has improved during the day but the lack of sleep is something I do not like ....

Trix

Thought I would bump this thread but

Every since I started taking glycine taurine aspirin and theanine I've felt calmer and more tired during the day but cannot sleep at night and my guess and want other people's opinions but I'm thinking it's lowering my cortisol almost too low .... I have had some significant stress in my life and I'm only 26 but I tend to have all the signs like tired in the morning and day awake at night etc . I am thinking since this is so individual based that maybe it' the low cortisol that is making it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep

Thoughts anyone?? I don' want to stop taking these supplements as my mood has improved during the day but the lack of sleep is something I do not like ....
Have you tried taking taurine/glycine with each meal during the day, then only taking glycine at bedtime? Taurine induces bile from the gallbladder/liver and helps carry it out. You do not want this happening at night as it will keep you awake. .5 taurine with each meal along with 1-2 grams of glycine...then working up to 1 gm taurine but only with meals.

Here great benefits from melatonin too. It boosts my deep sleep and notice the difference at waking up. I think 2mg is too much though, I use 300-500mcg which is more close to physiological levels.

johnsmith

I took 400mg of taurine every day for a week and had bad insomnia every night, even if I took it earlier in the day. It also seemed to give me more energy during the day. I always have difficulties supplementing taurine, but I keep trying it because I like the sound of its benefits. Next time I try it, it will be no more then 50mg in the morning.

AJA

I have found taurine less calming than glycine. I prefer not to take either at bedtime though. Passion flower is what I will reach for if I wake up in the middle of the night and cannot sleep. At bedtime....low-dose melatonin and calcium/magnesium seems to be the best for me most nights though.

Mauritio

I started a glycine supplement a few days ago . I feel pretty good especially socially more relaxed and so forth, but I look horrible several people told me and today I set at the hair dresser and saw in the morror that I looked pretty bad. Like I have not slept at all. Puffy eyes and face ,very dark circles (even darker then usual) .
Thats when I typed in "dark circles " into my notes and got these results from RP:

"Like the dark circles, a chronically plugged nostril is suggestive of an allergy, and it usually varies according to the intensity of the intestinal irritation of undigested food. Keeping notes on what you eat, you might notice increased stuffiness during the night after particular foods were eaten, though with some foods the congestion can take a couple of days to develop. Prolonged endurance exercise will usually slow the pulse because of adaptive inhibition of the thyroid. I have seen some people with the dark circles, fatigue, and other symptoms that stopped as soon as they stopped their daily running."

"I usually break the tablets up, and use fourths or halves, at intervals according to need. It's important to get some vitamin K1 or K2 when you use an antibiotic (liver or kale, or supplements). Have you checked your thyroid? Low thyroid function is usually behind the dark circles."

I find especially the first one pretty interesting . So it could be that I have an allergic reaction to Glycine, hence the dark circles. So I am going to try to implement gelatine instead, which gave me bad symtoms the last time probably because it fed the wrong bacteria so I am going to try it with some lauricidin and if that doesn't work with some antibiotic (which create dark circles of there own :( ) and if that does not work I ll just leave it ...

milk_lover

I started a glycine supplement a few days ago . I feel pretty good especially socially more relaxed and so forth, but I look horrible several people told me and today I set at the hair dresser and saw in the morror that I looked pretty bad. Like I have not slept at all. Puffy eyes and face ,very dark circles (even darker then usual) .
Thats when I typed in "dark circles " into my notes and got these results from RP:

"Like the dark circles, a chronically plugged nostril is suggestive of an allergy, and it usually varies according to the intensity of the intestinal irritation of undigested food. Keeping notes on what you eat, you might notice increased stuffiness during the night after particular foods were eaten, though with some foods the congestion can take a couple of days to develop. Prolonged endurance exercise will usually slow the pulse because of adaptive inhibition of the thyroid. I have seen some people with the dark circles, fatigue, and other symptoms that stopped as soon as they stopped their daily running."

"I usually break the tablets up, and use fourths or halves, at intervals according to need. It's important to get some vitamin K1 or K2 when you use an antibiotic (liver or kale, or supplements). Have you checked your thyroid? Low thyroid function is usually behind the dark circles."

I find especially the first one pretty interesting . So it could be that I have an allergic reaction to Glycine, hence the dark circles. So I am going to try to implement gelatine instead, which gave me bad symtoms the last time probably because it fed the wrong bacteria so I am going to try it with some lauricidin and if that doesn't work with some antibiotic (which create dark circles of there own :( ) and if that does not work I ll just leave it ...
I can definitely relate to this. Glycine and gelatin makes me bloated and I look horrible.

Mauritio

I can definitely relate to this. Glycine and gelatin makes me bloated and I look horrible.
I took gelatin a few hours ago . It actually makes me look better, but I get that weird kind of anxiety starting from your stomach. It feels glutamergic ,even boiled in water . I definitely reacted worse to it in the pat ...how good the reaction is seems to be proportional too my intestinal health. So I am thinking about combining it with antibiotics..
Do you feel it is related to quality /brand or are all brands the same?

milk_lover

I took gelatin a few hours ago . It actually makes me look better, but I get that weird kind of anxiety starting from your stomach. It feels glutamergic ,even boiled in water . I definitely reacted worse to it in the pat ...how good the reaction is seems to be proportional too my intestinal health. So I am thinking about combining it with antibiotics..
Do you feel it is related to quality /brand or are all brands the same?
No matter the brand, I get the same reaction. I feel 'heavy' after taking it. I asked Peat about this and he said natural sources of gelatin are much safer. He usually consumes bone broth and oxtail. I find gelatin from lamb shank and whole lamb cuts so much easier on the stomach and relaxing without the side effects.