Gelatin Vs Pure Glycine?

sm1693

So acidosis is the inability to excrete acid from the body.

For me, symptoms were quick lactic acid buildup in muscles and itchy inflamed skin that would result from eating highly acidic foods and anything with a high amount of chloride: salt, milk, and showering were the most noticeable ones, with showering being the absolute worst.

I'm unsure of whether the glycine actually caused this ailment or just intensified it, but I'm leaning towards that it probably did cause it, because I was on glycine for a month straight when this happened and I had symptoms for a while after I stopped. Then symptoms subsided and went away for a month, then I tried glycine again yesterday and almost immediately got skin symptoms. Mood was unaffected during all this, so it was somewhat hard to diagnose, as usually when something is bad for your body, it kills your mood as well.

There are one or 2 reports online about glycine being extremely high in chloride from the manufacturing process.

johns74

sm1693 said:
There are one or 2 reports online about glycine being extremely high in chloride from the manufacturing process.

Considering that one takes only a few grams (like 3 grams for insomnia), I think the chloride in the product shouldn't be very significant. I thought it caused high chloride through metabolic changes.

johns74

I guess maybe taurine is the only amino acid like substance that is safer to supplement?

sm1693

johns74 said:
sm1693 said:

Considering that one takes only a few grams (like 3 grams for insomnia), I think the chloride in the product shouldn't be very significant. I thought it caused high chloride through metabolic changes.

Yeah I don't know if the high chloride aspect is the answer, I was just mentioning it. Although, come to think of it, there are many reports of hospital patients presenting with hyperchoremic acidosis after IV's of sodium chloride.

sm1693

I hate the idea of giving people misleading info, so with this in mind, I did some experiments over the last few days with Glycine powder to test my previous thinking on it. I used the commonly available cheap bulk powder form of Glycine.

I spoke with my mom (a chemist), and after she was done haranguing me for poor judgment in overdosing on supplements, she gave me some awesome info: chloride is very useful in chemical reactions for its (......?) properties. Unfortunately, I was watching cat videos on youtube when she was explaining the actual necessity of the chloride over the phone, but I think the basic premise was that she wouldn't be surprised if chloride was a principle part of this finished glycine product since it's so cheap and useful. So hypothetically, chloride could be XX % of this product, just it isn't on the label for whatever shady reason (Thanks Obama).

I just glanced at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5354&p=63061&hilit=glycine+serotonin#p63061
and the gentleman states that he feels nauseous with Glycine powder, and if you then google symptoms of hyperchloremia, you will find that nausea is one of the first mentioned.

And if you search for Glycine Hydrochloride, it is available:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/pro ... &region=US

At my peak, I was taking 3 tsp Glycine spread over a day. Now, mood wise, I would say this period was one of the happiest of my whole life. This is the reason for my continued interest in this mystery. I was super happy, but I had this horrible itching skin. At the time I was also recovering from Poison Ivy, and what RP approved substance do you think I was trying to use to relieve those symptoms...?

If you guessed Benadryl Hydrochloride, you are correct. More chloride to fuel the fire.

Now the only substance that relieved the itching symptoms has been Vitamin D3. And I have not yet dug deeply at all, but there does appear to be a strong D3/chloride link.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659475

I'm doubtful that it's very healthy to routinely use relatively high doses of D3 to control chloride. So if we can find a non-chloride filled Glycine supplement, then I would be a very happy camper indeed. I am trying to boost up my intake of gelatin, but it's kind of difficult to take in the amounts that would contribute enough Glycine to really feel good for a person with low endogenous production (apparently). I'm going to try to boil off more water in my next batch, even though it already gets as solid as normal jello in the fridge. I don't like using commercial gelatin powder either, from experience and also the concept of biogenic amines talked about here:
viewtopic.php?t=1431

S_S mentions possible pure sources of Glycine here:
Such_Saturation said:
There are two producers of glycine in the United States: Chattem Chemicals, Inc., a subsidiary of Mumbai-based Sun Pharmaceutical, and GEO Specialty Chemicals, Inc., which purchased the glycine and naphthalene sulfonate production facilities of Hampshire Chemical Corp, a subsidiary of Dow Chemical.[8][10]

Chattem's manufacturing process ("MCA" process) occurs in batches and results in a finished product with some residual chloride but no sulfate, while GEO’s manufacturing process is considered a semi-batch process and results in a finished product with some residual sulfate but no chloride.[/b]

Can anyone share their experiences if they have used any of these High Purity forms of Glycine? And a source that will allow individual ordering? It would be much appreciated.

I'm betting Dan Wich can find out which sellers source from GEO :mrgreen:

freyasam said:
Such_Saturation said:
Buy it in powder, you can't be eating 100mg of B6 every day.

S_S do you have any info on safe upper limits of B6?

It depends, I think some people have needed several hundreds of milligrams pyridoxine a day for months to get nerve symptoms, but I personally had burning tingling feet after ten milligrams. That only happened the first time, however, so I don't know what that says.

BingDing

Adding glycine to milk or gelatin might reduce the chance of the body reacting like it was a hormone, or other bad reaction.

uuy8778yyi

I am wondering this too

yes, I plan to use gelatine/glycine for hot drinks with coffee/cream/milk

Gl;itch.e

uuy8778yyi said:
I am wondering this too

yes, I plan to use gelatine/glycine for hot drinks with coffee/cream/milk
Well either is fine in coffee. In fact I use both. Glycine is pretty sweet so you have to account for that in your mixture

G

gummybear

Gl;itch.e said:
Best is probably relative to what you want to accomplish. I think Gelatine is reasonably versatile for use in hot drinks/cooking/candies so can be used as a part of your overall protein intake. Glycine on its own might be useful for bringing inflammation in check if you can't get enough via gelatine and normal foods. Peat would advise caution when supplementing individual amino acids though. Mostly from the perspective of potential contaminants I believe.

Gelatine can also contain contaminants...

Xisca

I have found organic gelatin!
I guess less ccntaminants...

uuy8778yyi

ideally, both

however, glycine can cause sleepiness

proline, which is also sweet, doesn't as much, but is expensive as a powder

YuraCZ

Best is taking both. French scientists says, that you need at least 11g of glycine for proper collagen formation. So I take 2x 5-7g of glycine a day and 10g of hydrolyzed collagen 2-3 times a day.. These aminos are not essential. But that doesn't mean that your body is able to synthesize enough from essential aminos.. Most people are so ****88 up, that they can synthesize ***t... :|

acrylic

"Rapid infusion of amino acids (particularly histidine, alanine, and glycine) may cause hyperchloremic acidosis."

https://books.google.com/books?id=pD24m ... CB0Q6AEwAA

Unfortunately, I have experienced this with glycine powder. I am now leaning towards avoiding all solitary amino acids, as the man says...

There's a huge difference between injecting nutrients intravenously and taking them orally.

This is from Examine.com: "The lowest active dose of glycine supplementation in humans tends to be the 1-3g dosage range, although doses of up to 45g have been used without apparent side-effects."

Stop stressing so much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals