Health Benefits You Have Noticed So Far From Taken Any Form Of Glycine?

Quality

Hello,

Would like to share my information about my perceived health benefits that I have gotten from taken glycine (as magnesium biglycinate).
Now Foods, Magnesium Bisglycinate Powder, 8 oz (227 g)
I take 2-3 servings around an hour before bed depending on how I feel, this is the first time I have used glycine, and have been taken it for about 2months now.
On average my sleep has definatly improved, feel more rested the next day (definatly better than I used to)
but not the miracle sleep aid.
Im pretty sure taking glycine long term has additional health benefits as I feel my sleep is still improving.

As far as recovery from excersize, I can just say it does calm me down nicely.
Not sure how much it affected me as I take some other supplements that also definatly have a proven positive effect. For example, my endurance capacity has gone up huge amounts by the cocoa extract im taking.

Might be doing a trial in the future with taking glycine during daytime if I know im going to be in a stressfull situation, such as speaking to a huge crowd.
I do feel that I have been cogintive improving alot the last months, yet again this might not be just due to glycine, but i definatly feel like it has maken a contribution.

Not sure if the following has been posted before, so no flames in this direction please:

The Effects of Glycine on Subjective Daytime Performance in Partially Sleep-Restricted Healthy Volunteers
The Effects of Glycine on Subjective Daytime Performance in Partially Sleep-Restricted Healthy Volunteers

Quite huge increases in vasopressin, this must atleast be partially responsible for some of the mood effects and cognitive effects lots of people get from it including myself.

OP
Q

Quality

Seriously? After the amount of positive information available on glycine, alot of people on this forum must be using it, yet nobody willing to give feedback.

Constatine

I flake glycine in the form of gelatin and can say that since taking gelatin all inflamation has plummeted and generally I feel a lot better. My migraines have vanished, random itching rarely happens, allergies have been greatlying reduced to classic environmental factors and foods, I am less stressed, sleep better, and feel better cognitively.

OP
Q

Quality

Your perceived benefits could be due to gelatin itself though which contains many other amino acids aswell, im unaware how well glycine is absorbed when its bundeled with other amino acids.
Might have to try gelatin in the future aswell, im a bit wary of the glutamine content in it though which is fairly high, glutamine can convert to glutamate in the brain and I know I have glutamate hypersensitivity.
How do your gelatin Constatine, with meals? in between meals? dose? estimated glycine content you get daily?
And thanks for your contribution so far, glycine seems to slowly become a wonder amino acid.

OP
Q

Quality

Honestly the glycine powder gave me weird brain fog after a while
Brand/quality did you use? and dose?
And what about your psychological background?

Wagner83

Hello,

On average my sleep has definatly improved, feel more rested the next day (definatly better than I used to)
but not the miracle sleep aid.
Im pretty sure taking glycine long term has additional health benefits as I feel my sleep is still improving.

As far as recovery from excersize, I can just say it does calm me down nicely.

Magnesium will do that for you.

OP
Q

Quality

I have taken many forms of magnesium before pre-bed and i find its calming and good for sleep, yet it feels different (hard to describe).
No other forms of magnesium except magnesium glycinate gives me chemically induced yawning.
Anyways I am indeed planning on taking glycine powder by itself to compare the possible differences.

OP
Q

Quality

Same here, took Now Foods glycine twice, both time i got brain fog and depression like symptoms. Even my brother felt very bad on it.
Odd.., glycine is not known to have side effects in healthy individuals I think? dose and time of the day used?
Im currently getting anywhere from 3-5gram of glycine.
Taken 1hour pre-bed all at once.

Dante

Odd.., glycine is not known to have side effects in healthy individuals I think? dose and time of the day used?
Im currently getting anywhere from 3-5gram of glycine.
Taken 1hour pre-bed all at once.
1 gram powder, after meal

johnwester130

I have finally quit glycine after experimenting with it for 2 years. I think when I first took it I was fine, but now I have had enough.

OP
Q

Quality

Guessing you have gone OVER your optimal levels by letting it build up in your system and might be some adverse effects.

Queequeg

I've been taking 1 teaspoon 2x day to balance out excess methionine. part of my half **** life extension strategy:) I do notice I can jog without any knee pain though that could also be from the MSM I was taking before I heard RP advise against it.
I used Hard Rhino powder at first and then switched to Bulk Supplements. I noticed HR dissolved in water much better than Bulk Supplements.

chispas

I notice glycine tastes so sweet that it's almost disgusting. My girlfriend finds that it tastes delicious. I wonder if this is indicating a need for glycine by my girlfriend's metabolism?

She tends to crave it, and miss it when it runs out. I tend to not notice.

I think that it can create ammonia increase over time. You could try combining it with Ceylon cinnamon to minimise that effect. I actually find strangely, that I am craving Ceylon cinnamon these days, and the usual Dutch cinnamon doesn't nourish my craving.

Perhaps I have high ammonia and this is why glycine tastes yuck to me. Ergo, my girlfriend has low ammonia, and glycine tastes delicious? Not sure.

OP
Q

Quality

The magnesium bisglycinate that I take has a very very strange taste, after mixing it with water as supposed to and drinking it, first taste something sweet, then the tastes quickly turns into rotten fish, its a very foul sweet taste, its hard to describe it to other unless they have tried it.
As for cinnamon funny that you mention it, there are indeed 2 types of cinnamon.

Cassia is full of coumarins, which is not a good thing imo.
For those of you interested in wanting to see/know the difference between them visually wise:
http://smhttp.32478.nexcesscdn.net/...ntent/uploads/2015/03/cinnamon-comparison.jpg

Ceylon is somewhat more expensive than Cassia.
Tip: If you buy cinnamon as a powder and it doesnt state which type is on the bottle, chances are very very very high you are getting Ceylon, buying it as sticks you can actually see what your getting.

If you have symptoms of high ammonia, it might be worth looking into Ornithine.

OP
Q

Quality

Quick update on this:

Ran out of Magnesium Biglycinate powder (NOW foods) 2 days ago and my sleep has been back to poor again, new order arriving tomorrow.
Just wanted to let you lot know how good it actually is for sleep, I hadnt realised myself untill I ran out.

All the best

OP
Q

Quality

Right, gotten my Glycine powder(NOW) and Magnesium Biglycinate powder(NOW) in at friday, tried glycine today, it tastes so much different than magnesium biglycinate, glycine almost tastes like plain sugar!

Terma

I saw this thread months ago and finally found it again.

Here's another link about glycine increasing vasopressin (but not cortisol): Vasopressin and cortisol levels in response to glycine infusion. - PubMed - NCBI
The plasma vasopressin and serum cortisol concentrations were recorded in 7 healthy volunteers receiving an intravenous infusion of 1 l of isosmotic (2.2%) glycine solution during 20 min. The infusion elicited a significant increase in the plasma vasopressin level by a mean of 60% (SEM 13) above baseline level. The serum cortisol level increased only in the patient who developed signs of glycine toxicity. These results suggest that a glycine solution has water-retaining properties by stimulating the vasopressin secretion but usually not by increasing cortisol secretion.

I'm one of those who gets strong bloating from gelatin and glycine supp. I've used it for years for tons of reasons, but this effect always returns with a few grams glycine. Originally I thought it had something to do with chloride channels, but I don't understand them.

Maybe a sudden increase in vasopressin is all the explanation needed? Especially for the particularly sensitive