Chamomile Boosts Biosynthesis Of Glycine

Discussion in 'Amino Acids' started by Captain_Coconut, May 22, 2018.

1. Captain_Coconut

Captain_Coconut Member

A Metabonomic Strategy for the Detection of the Metabolic Effects of Chamomile (Matricaria recutita L.) Ingestion

http://www.wipm.cas.cn/jgsz/yjdw/ci...jiuchengguo/201204/W020120525419285123515.pdf

According to this study: two weeks of daily chamomile tea ingestion helps to boost the biosynthesis of glycine... and evidently this effect remains pronounced even two weeks after stopping chamomile. I cannot make a lot out of this study in terms of how pronounced this effect is. Posting here as I haven't seen it shared here before. If anyone knows how to read this study and derive some practical value from it, please do share. I would like to know what others think, can drinking a couple cups of chamomile tea daily make big changes in health on par with that of supplementing large amounts of gelatin or glycine?

Also, what are some other ways to boost the biosynthesis of glycine?

2. Ideonaut

Ideonaut Member

Seems like a no-brainer to me-- I'll go ahead and drink chamomile in the evening. Thanks!

3. Tenacity

Tenacity Member

4. paymanz

paymanz Member

Interesting,thanks!

5. griesburner

griesburner Member

Roman chamomille is another plant and different than the chamomille used in this study. But i think both could be estrogenic as most plants are in theory. And they also contain apigenin with inhibits aromatase, too :) i think there is not much harm in trying to ingest some chamomille tea and see how it effects someone. I personally like the taste.

6. raysputin

raysputin Member

i wonder if everything that stimulates the uterus is estrogenic. Also are prostaglandins mediated by estrogen only or estrogen and progesterone?

7. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Woaaah?!!! That is so awesome. Chamomile is one of my favourite triggers to fall asleep. Big fan of it. Even bigger fan after reading this study. Wow.

8. mayweatherking

mayweatherking Member

is the glycine increase why it makes you tired or why does it make you tired

9. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    I think the sedative inducing flavonoids such as apigenin and bisabilol may be at play, for it's sleep inducing effect.

10. ddjd

ddjd Member

Chamomile is actually strongly anti Estrogenic!

11. Soybean

Soybean Member

I drink it very regularly, as part of a night ritual. I feel like it improves my sleep, I definitely fall asleep faster and more peaceful.

Haven't noticed any tolerance to these effects as well.

12. Lokzo

Lokzo Member

Naturopath
    Seconded. I'm going to be scheduling an Instagram post on this herb. It deserves more attention.

13. Animalinstinct

Animalinstinct Member

Any idea whether fennel tea is anywhere similar? My kids drink it instead of water since they were babies...as fennel is the drink of choice for infants here. Obviously not the infants' choice.