Chamomile Boosts Biosynthesis Of Glycine

A Metabonomic Strategy for the Detection of the Metabolic Effects of Chamomile (Matricaria recutita L.) Ingestion

http://www.wipm.cas.cn/jgsz/yjdw/ci...jiuchengguo/201204/W020120525419285123515.pdf

According to this study: two weeks of daily chamomile tea ingestion helps to boost the biosynthesis of glycine... and evidently this effect remains pronounced even two weeks after stopping chamomile. I cannot make a lot out of this study in terms of how pronounced this effect is. Posting here as I haven't seen it shared here before. If anyone knows how to read this study and derive some practical value from it, please do share. I would like to know what others think, can drinking a couple cups of chamomile tea daily make big changes in health on par with that of supplementing large amounts of gelatin or glycine?

Also, what are some other ways to boost the biosynthesis of glycine?

Last edited:

Ideonaut

Seems like a no-brainer to me-- I'll go ahead and drink chamomile in the evening. Thanks!

griesburner

"Because chamomile has been known to cause uterine contractions that can invoke miscarriage, pregnant and nursing mothers are advised to not consume Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile).[13]"

Makes me wonder if it's also highly estrogenic

Roman chamomille is another plant and different than the chamomille used in this study. But i think both could be estrogenic as most plants are in theory. And they also contain apigenin with inhibits aromatase, too :) i think there is not much harm in trying to ingest some chamomille tea and see how it effects someone. I personally like the taste.

LUH 3417

Woaaah?!!! That is so awesome. Chamomile is one of my favourite triggers to fall asleep. Big fan of it. Even bigger fan after reading this study. Wow.

is the glycine increase why it makes you tired or why does it make you tired

ddjd

Roman chamomille is another plant and different than the chamomille used in this study. But i think both could be estrogenic as most plants are in theory. And they also contain apigenin with inhibits aromatase, too :) i think there is not much harm in trying to ingest some chamomille tea and see how it effects someone. I personally like the taste.
i wonder if everything that stimulates the uterus is estrogenic. Also are prostaglandins mediated by estrogen only or estrogen and progesterone?
Chamomile - Wikipedia

"Because chamomile has been known to cause uterine contractions that can invoke miscarriage, pregnant and nursing mothers are advised to not consume Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile).[13]"

Makes me wonder if it's also highly estrogenic.
Chamomile is actually strongly anti Estrogenic!

Soybean

I drink it very regularly, as part of a night ritual. I feel like it improves my sleep, I definitely fall asleep faster and more peaceful.

Haven't noticed any tolerance to these effects as well.

Any idea whether fennel tea is anywhere similar? My kids drink it instead of water since they were babies...as fennel is the drink of choice for infants here. Obviously not the infants' choice.

So mixing a scoop of collagen powder or gelatin powder in chamomile would be ideal? I like to sweeten mine with marmalade as Ray Peat says orange peels are a "super drug".

“Substances that inhibit inflammation are likely to also inhibit excessive collagen synthesis, serotonin secretion, and the formation of estrogen. Besides aspirin, some effective substances are apigenin and naringenin, found in oranges and guavas. These flavonoids also inhibit the formation of nitric oxide and prostaglandins, which are important for inflammation and carcinogenesis (Liang, et al., 1999).” – from his article ‘The Cancer Matrix‘

“When I get sour oranges I make marmalade from the peels, if they are organic. Shred, soak, cook slowly simmering in water for about an hour before adding sugar, and letting that simmer without boiling until it thickens a little. When it’s cool it thickens more. The peels are rich in antiinflammatory chemicals, more than the juice, and the marmalade is a good way to get sugar with the cottage cheese or parmesan.“ -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals