Are Humans (and all Vertebrates) running a chronic, lifetime Glycine Deficient?

Does anyone who suffers odd effects from glycine feel the same when consuming collagen or gelatin? They are somewhat glycine heavy but the other amino acids may be balancing them out.

As i've mentioned in other threads, I've suspected pure glycine of causing an odd feeling, but the feeling wasn't pronounced and i didn't experiment with it properly.

Possible experiment for those who feel odd effects from glycine, take some along with your chamomile tea, then wait to see how you feel afterwards. If that doesn't do the trick then you can also experiment by taking it alongside some collagen. I've been doing the latter and things are running smoothly.

And the whole Glyphosate thing is always looming in the background. It's something we all have to keep an eye on imho and make a genuine effort to limit it's intake.
I put the collagen in my coffees, chamomile and other teas, and fresh orange juice and only feel good from it. I have never taken straight glycine.

Attachments

• 20220121_174341.jpg
    20220121_174341.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211111_173150.jpg
    20211111_173150.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211025_123429.jpg
    20211025_123429.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210419_165635.jpg
    20210419_165635.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 30

J.R.K

Does anyone who suffers odd effects from glycine feel the same when consuming collagen or gelatin? They are somewhat glycine heavy but the other amino acids may be balancing them out.

As i've mentioned in other threads, I've suspected pure glycine of causing an odd feeling, but the feeling wasn't pronounced and i didn't experiment with it properly.

Possible experiment for those who feel odd effects from glycine, take some along with your chamomile tea, then wait to see how you feel afterwards. If that doesn't do the trick then you can also experiment by taking it alongside some collagen. I've been doing the latter and things are running smoothly.

And the whole Glyphosate thing is always looming in the background. It's something we all have to keep an eye on imho and make a genuine effort to limit it's intake.
A suggestion for playing a,”mad scientist experiment” if you will. Perhaps blending additional glycine with collagen or gelatin in order to increase the levels of glycine to other less favourable amino acids within the collagen profile such as tryptophan and methionine.
I prefer the use of grape juice to inhibit the methionine uptake, but I have to admit I have no issues with the use of Great Lakes collagen myself.

J.R.K

I put the collagen in my coffees, chamomile and other teas, and fresh orange juice and only feel good from it. I have never taken straight glycine.
These look fantastic @Rinse & rePeat !
Your suggestions mirror my own use of collagen, this is helpful thank you for the information.
Do you have concerns over the methionine and tryptophan in the Great Lakes collagen? If so how do you mitigate them?

Your suggestions mirror my own use of collagen, this is helpful thank you for the information.
Do you have concerns over the methionine and tryptophan in the Great Lakes collagen? If so how do you mitigate them?
Thanks J R.K! The Great Lakes collagen (green can) doesn't have any tryptophan. I am only learning about methionine from tanksnowagod is his two recent threads. From what I have learned, I am not concerned about the methionine in my diet because I have lowered it quite a bit trading out the meat and seafood for lowfat and skim milk. One serving of skim milk has 75% less methionine than a serving of red meat. I don't do anything extreme in my diet nowadays.

J.R.K

Do you have concerns over the methionine and tryptophan in the Great Lakes collagen? If so how do you mitigate them
Thanks J R.K! The Great Lakes collagen (green can) doesn't have any tryptophan. I am only learning about methionine from tanksnowagod is his two recent threads. From what I have learned, I am not concerned about the methionine in my diet because I have lowered it quite a bit trading out the meat and seafood for lowfat and skim milk. One serving of skim milk has 75% less methionine than a serving of red meat. I don't do anything extreme in my diet nowadays.
I like the Great Lakes collagen because of its high glycine 2321 mg to methionine 90mg ratio.
But I do use a fair amount of milk in my regime as well, but I try to mix in some eggshell calcium about a tablespoon a day to up the calcium levels and offset the tryptophan by cutting back on the milk periodically.
It can be challenging knowing this but to stress out on this topic would create its own problems.

Veritas IV

Same here, i add collagen to different things and only feel good from it, never an odd feeling. Try not to laugh too hard but some even manages to sneak it's way into my burgers, soups, rice, mashed potatoes etc, lol. I've read that it helps with the digestion of mixed food types. Have been drinking a bit more chamomile again as i've done in the past, aiming for at least a few times a week.

A suggestion for playing a,”mad scientist experiment” if you will. Perhaps blending additional glycine with collagen or gelatin in order to increase the levels of glycine to other less favourable amino acids within the collagen profile such as tryptophan and methionine.
I prefer the use of grape juice to inhibit the methionine uptake, but I have to admit I have no issues with the use of Great Lakes collagen myself.

Already have, about two months ago i started cracking open my leftover glycine capsules and adding it to my collagen. They are 500mg, i'll take 20 of them then mix it into 200 grams of collagen. It "feels" the same to me but i know i've upped the glycine ratio. The capsules are nearly finished now but i've decided to continue this practice, only this time i won't purchase capsules because i've sourced powder which will ultimately cost less.

Last edited:
Same here, i add collagen to different things and only feel good from it, never an odd feeling. Try not to laugh too hard but some even manages to sneak it's way into my burgers, soups, rice, mashed potatoes etc, lol. I've read that it helps with the digestion of mixed food types. Have been drinking a bit more chamomile again as i've done in the past, aiming for at least a few times a week.
I put gelatin in my meatloaf and meatballs! It helps keep all the juices inside the meat :)

Perry Staltic

Were you taking glycine? Does this happen also with taking gelatin?

I don't do gelatin. I started taking glycine to detoxify glyphosate. Then I liked it so much in herbal tea that I started using it every day in higher doses, almost always at night. People here say it's really safe, so I thought there wouldn't be any problems.

yerrag

I don't do gelatin. I started taking glycine to detoxify glyphosate. Then I liked it so much in herbal tea that I started using it every day in higher doses, almost always at night. People here say it's really safe, so I thought there wouldn't be any problems.
I don't take gelatin, so at that time, it was only glycine that gave me that effect.
Have you tried taking it with sugar? Ray has said that digesting meat uses up sugar. I take that to mean amino acids as well, and glycine is an amino acid. Since it is already an amino acid, unlike meat it doesn't need to be broken down by enzymes and by much of the digestive process. It quickly gets assimilated and the demand on sugar assimilating it isn't a gentle and slow and prolonged sip, but a big sudden gulp. So it could disturb the stability of blood sugar levels.

yerrag

But if you already have poor blood sugar regulation, taking sugar may make it worse. So taking it with some complex carbs such as sweet potatoes would be better.

Perry Staltic

Have you tried taking it with sugar? Ray has said that digesting meat uses up sugar. I take that to mean amino acids as well, and glycine is an amino acid. Since it is already an amino acid, unlike meat it doesn't need to be broken down by enzymes and by much of the digestive process. It quickly gets assimilated and the demand on sugar assimilating it isn't a gentle and slow and prolonged sip, but a big sudden gulp. So it could disturb the stability of blood sugar levels.

No I haven't. Once my sleep pattern gets stabilized I will reconsider restarting the glycine with sugar. I had been using non-sugars (eg stevia) as sweetener in the teas. I really don't eat a lot of sugars apart from fruits. I still have a kilo of glycine I need to get through so thanks for the tip.

yerrag

No I haven't. Once my sleep pattern gets stabilized I will reconsider restarting the glycine with sugar. I had been using non-sugars (eg stevia) as sweetener in the teas. I really don't eat a lot of sugars apart from fruits. I still have a kilo of glycine I need to get through so thanks for the tip.
I added a caveat to that suggestion. It's before the post I'm replying to, in case you missed it.

You're welcome.

Perry Staltic

I added a caveat to that suggestion. It's before the post I'm replying to, in case you missed it.

You're welcome.

I saw it, Thanks. I don't know of any blood sugar regulation issues. I eat complex carbs all the time.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I think you have it backwards. Meat is digested and the protein is converted into amino acids, which are building blocks for the cells. Amino acids don’t need to be digested. If there is no glucose in the system, then protein can be converted into glucose. But I am no expert in this.

yerrag

I think you have it backwards. Meat is digested and the protein is converted into amino acids, which are building blocks for the cells. Amino acids don’t need to be digested. If there is no glucose in the system, then protein can be converted into glucose. But I am no expert in this.
Not all amino acids can be converted into sugar.

But you are right. The glycine amino acid dies not have to be digested. Which is why glycine quickly gets assimilated into the blood stream. And after that the amino acid has to be processed by the body, and this processing may require blood sugar to be used. And since the glycine assimilation is rapid, the sudden requirement for sugar exerts could create a lowering of blood sugar to stress levels, for people whose blood sugar regulation is far from optimal, especially for those on the margins.

It's not backward though, as the conversion of amino acids into sugar is not immediate. Adrenaline has to be produced first when the body sense blood sugar being near low levels, and when there is no glycogen to be converted to blood sugar, then adrenal glands produce cortisol to trigger proteolysis to make amino acids available for conversion to blood sugar. While this is happening, stress hormones are made and this can make you feel stressed.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Not all amino acids can be converted into sugar.

But you are right. The glycine amino acid dies not have to be digested. Which is why glycine quickly gets assimilated into the blood stream. And after that the amino acid has to be processed by the body, and this processing may require blood sugar to be used. And since the glycine assimilation is rapid, the sudden requirement for sugar exerts could create a lowering of blood sugar to stress levels, for people whose blood sugar regulation is far from optimal, especially for those on the margins.

It's not backward though, as the conversion of amino acids into sugar is not immediate. Adrenaline has to be produced first when the body sense blood sugar being near low levels, and when there is no glycogen to be converted to blood sugar, then adrenal glands produce cortisol to trigger proteolysis to make amino acids available for conversion to blood sugar. While this is happening, stress hormones are made and this can make you feel stressed.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. The amounts that I took were really small, just 500 mg. And I did put this into my morning fruit coconut milkshake. I wonder how that could have such an effect.

yerrag

I saw it, Thanks. I don't know of any blood sugar regulation issues. I eat complex carbs all the time.

I used to believe white sugar is the devil incarnate. That's because eating it made me sneeze, hiccup, develop a cold, and I would have a fever or a flu the next day - when I took it in between meals, on an empty stomach. When I fixed by blood sugar regulation issues, white sugar made me energized. But before I got it fixed, I ate complex carbs or brown rice (instead of white rice) and it stabilized my blood sugar between meals. It didn't fix my blood sugar dysregulation, but it made it easier to live with my blood sugar dysregulation condition.

Then, when I ate white rice at noon as part of my meal, I would get sleepy shortly after the meal. But when I ate brown rice instead, I wouldn't get sleepy. Brown rice, because of the fiber in it, made it like a complex carb, which would take longer to digest, such that unlike white rice (which would quickly get digested and assimilated as glucose into the blood stream in a quick gush}, it would get assimilated into the blood stream in trickles over a much longer period of time. It is like glucose being metered into the blood, such that it would never cause my blood sugar to go too high, as high blood sugar would cause the blood sugar to get too low because it triggers the pancreas to release a lot of insulin, and insulin would cause blood sugar to be converted to fatty acids in the liver. Blood sugar reaching a low level, even momentarily, causes a break in the supply of glucose to the liver, and this causes the liver to fail to convert T4 to T3, and the blip that occurs where T3 is missing, causes a break in the chain of reactions that produce energy in the mitochondria. This break is enough to cause us to feel sleepy, and even stressed.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

I used to believe white sugar is the devil incarnate. That's because eating it made me sneeze, hiccup, develop a cold, and I would have a fever or a flu the next day - when I took it in between meals, on an empty stomach. When I fixed by blood sugar regulation issues, white sugar made me energized. But before I got it fixed, I ate complex carbs or brown rice (instead of white rice) and it stabilized my blood sugar between meals. It didn't fix my blood sugar dysregulation, but it made it easier to live with my blood sugar dysregulation condition.

Then, when I ate white rice at noon as part of my meal, I would get sleepy shortly after the meal. But when I ate brown rice instead, I wouldn't get sleepy. Brown rice, because of the fiber in it, made it like a complex carb, which would take longer to digest, such that unlike white rice (which would quickly get digested and assimilated as glucose into the blood stream in a quick gush}, it would get assimilated into the blood stream in trickles over a much longer period of time. It is like glucose being metered into the blood, such that it would never cause my blood sugar to go too high, as high blood sugar would cause the blood sugar to get too low because it triggers the pancreas to release a lot of insulin, and insulin would cause blood sugar to be converted to fatty acids in the liver. Blood sugar reaching a low level, even momentarily, causes a break in the supply of glucose to the liver, and this causes the liver to fail to convert T4 to T3, and the blip that occurs where T3 is missing, causes a break in the chain of reactions that produce energy in the mitochondria. This break is enough to cause us to feel sleepy, and even stressed.

I personally don't think white sugar is good in other than minor quantities, so I avoid it as much as possible. At a minimum I suspect it disrupts the gut microbiome, ie feeds the wrong bacteria. I still eat it in chocolate daily and in other stuff at times, but keep it as low as I can. I have eaten complex carbs, eg brown rice, whole wheat, etc, like forever, and eschew anything that doesn't include the whole grain. White flour is an abomination to me, but I eat white rice occasionally

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals