Glycine, Brands, Dosage

Inaut

AOR glycine powder is quite good and fairly inexpensive for a pound

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Thank you all for your response so far. Does Peat recommend free form amino acids at all?

Cirion

Thank you all for your response so far. Does Peat recommend free form amino acids at all?

RP:
Some types of cell damage are prevented almost as well by alanine and proline as by glycine, so the use of gelatin, rather than glycine, is preferable, especially when the gelatin is associated with its normal biochemicals. For example, skin is a rich source of steroid hormones, and cartilage contains “Mead acid,” which is itself anti-inflammatory.

This suggests that glycine alone is fine but whole food (gelatin) would be preferable in his eyes since you get alanine, proline etc as well.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Aha and is alanine also part of hydrolyzed collagen products. I make bone broth sometimes but its more convenient with supplements for everyday use.

Cirion

I found getting my gelatin in was easy once I started making home made jello. Fairly easy to make, and tastes pretty decent too.

Anecdote: Tried many different types of store bought gelatin powders (now, great lakes, knox, etc) and they all gave significantly increased bloating.
Later learned that it's most likely due to LPS aka bad bacteria in the powders.

Been trying supplemental glycine powder (bulk supplements, 15-20g per day) with great effects: better sleep, better mood, less ADHD symptoms, less stress, increased muscle mass despite not lifting, & other little things that isn't coming to mind at the moment.

Ideally oxtail/bone broth is preferable but time/resources is always a constraint/excuse.

There are huge differences on qualities and individual reactions depending on the brand. So what you are reporting is not strange at all. It's like that. It always happens.

For glycine I prefer the "Ajipure" version from Ajinomoto. It is considered one of the purest. But if you have good success with Now and not with Source Naturals, keep the Now and toss the SN one to the trashbin. That's life.

I've been taking Swanson's AjiPure® Pharmaceutical Grade Glycine with some significant positive effects. However, they've gone out of stock on multiple retailers including Swanson's own website.

Have you found other brands that white label the AjiPure® Glycine?

LA

My joints improved greatly. I only 'drink' Glycine via gelatin powder. Taking one tablespoon of the Orange can of "Unflavored Gelatin Collagen Joint Care" from Great Lakes once every other day helped me. I mix it into an inch of cool water in a glass mug, put it onto the top shelf of the refrigerator and wait about 30 minutes till it jells or whenever I remember it is there, remove from fridge, heat some water, stir in some hot water and drink it. - One time for about a week I did it 2x to 3x daily and it 'seemed' like it gave me the gout.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals