Are Humans (and all Vertebrates) running a chronic, lifetime Glycine Deficient?

yerrag

I personally don't think white sugar is good in other than minor quantities, so I avoid it as much as possible. At a minimum I suspect it disrupts the gut microbiome, ie feeds the wrong bacteria. I still eat it in chocolate daily and in other stuff at times, but keep it as low as I can. I have eaten complex carbs, eg brown rice, whole wheat, etc, like forever, and eschew anything that doesn't include the whole grain. White flour is an abomination to me, but I eat white rice occasionally
I was happy living that way for 15 years. It helped me manage my hypoglycemic state - eating brown rice and compleX carbs. I would continue that way except that I learned later on for to avoid PUFAs. I had done other things that helped me, such mercury detox.But PUFA elimination made the most difference as far as improving my blood regulation and curing me of hypoglycemia. I was never diabetic, but I was hypoglycemic and doctors never diagnose for hypoglycemia. For them, hypoglycemia is not real and it's all in the mind duh. My doctors simply said I am normal as far as blood regulation goes.

yerrag

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The amounts that I took were really small, just 500 mg. And I did put this into my morning fruit coconut milkshake. I wonder how that could have such an effect.
What were the ingredients in that milkshake?

yerrag

One half a banana, frozen fruit from Costco (mango, raspberry), protein powder, spirulina, and coconut milk. Then the glycine scoop added.
Thanks. You were fine with the milkshake until you added the 500mg glycine?

yerrag

Yes. Once I stopped glycine, the symptoms vanished. I read about it, maybe on this forum, to make this connection.
I wonder if you used gelatin instead there would a different response. But I can't explain it since you're taking it with what's basically a meal in shake form.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Last edited:

freyasam

I was experimenting with taking pure glycine at different amounts, up to 25 grams a day. Pure Bulk brand. It dramatically helped my issues with depression and disabling chronic fatigue syndrome. But just like what happens with almost every supplement, I had to stop it because it gave me bad throat and vocal cord pain.

For the past two years, I have consumed gelatin powder in orange juice. Between 5 and 7 tbsp of powder a day. I just buy the regular store-brand gelatin from Walmart. I don't seem to notice any difference between it and the Great Lakes gelatin. Gelatin seems to help a little with the chronic fatigue syndrome. But I also suspect it messes with my digestion and aggravates my depression.

Glycine and gelatin powder help me significantly but cause other problems. If I had more energy I would make bone broth every week.

Robert5493

I came across this interesting interesting factoid, and thought I'd post it here for contemplation on methionine requirements in humans.

Human breast milk is ~60 times lower than in cow goat and rabbit milk.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 9.57.39 PM.png

Arginine is quite substantially higher as well.
doi:10.1088/1755-1315/640/3/032051

baccheion

Glycine isn't as much of a problem if there's less protein and (russet) potatoes are the main source of carbs. Rib eye and rib eye fat (or maybe milk) for remaining protein and fat keeps things moving nicely, even if having to take digestive enzyme and stomach acid pills. Greens for nutrients. That is, the body can make enough to balance lower amounts of imbalanced proteins.

FitnessMike

I need to say something about the broth.

let me say that I'm not anxious and I'm not prone to negative mental state or anything like that, but for a while, I felt a bit irritated.

Yesterday I took 10g of bone broth concentrate with my hot chocolate in the evening, and I instantly felt much "happier", like the small level of negativity, or anxiety for lack of better words, was cleared.

was avoiding it before due to histamine reactions, it looks like I was deficient in glycine.

I need to say something about the broth.

let me say that I'm not anxious and I'm not prone to negative mental state or anything like that, but for a while, I felt a bit irritated.

Yesterday I took 10g of bone broth concentrate with my hot chocolate in the evening, and I instantly felt much "happier", like the small level of negativity, or anxiety for lack of better words, was cleared.

was avoiding it before due to histamine reactions, it looks like I was deficient in glycine.
Do you always have hot chocolate in the evening Mike?

FitnessMike

Do you always have hot chocolate in the evening Mike?
only recently started adding some cacao powder to my milk, before was a bit scared of stimulants in in.

only recently started adding some cacao powder to my milk, before was a bit scared of stimulants in in.
I have had chocolate at night a couple of times recently and it did not make my sleep worse, and to the contrary, probably because of the magnesium.

FitnessMike

I have had chocolate at night a couple of times recently and it did not make my sleep worse, and to the contrary, probably because of the magnesium.
yes, as long as one doesn't put too much should be fine feels like, but a bit of bone broth and my god, the grey cloud gone pufff

could be glycine deficiency caused by aspirin, who knows?

yes, as long as one doesn't put too much should be fine feels like, but a bit of bone broth and my god, the grey cloud gone pufff

could be glycine deficiency caused by aspirin, who knows?
Oh I didn’t know aspirin causes any deficiencies. I really don’t take it, but on a rare occasion.

Ben.

Oh I didn’t know aspirin causes any deficiencies. I really don’t take it, but on a rare occasion.

Yes people seem to report significantly less sideeffects from aspirin when taking with glycine and the fatsoluble vitamin (it was E or K i think).

Haidut made some posts/threads about it in 2014:

Yes people seem to report significantly less sideeffects from aspirin when taking with glycine and the fatsoluble vitamin (it was E or K i think).

Haidut made some posts/threads about it in 2014:

Good to know! I will have to read through these posts soon, thank you!

FitnessMike

Has anyone got mood improvement form broth/gelatine/glycine?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals