Gelatin Vs Pure Glycine?

sunmountain

After two weeks of going off Green can and doing only glycine, plus a couple of days ago going off the b. Infantis or Align probiotic that the GI prescribed, I THINK my stomach was doing better. Still inflated but the back pain went away. (Back pain had lessened with sleeping on floor but not gone away.)

I know the b. Infantis was definitely making things worse, but I did 2 weeks cuz the GI said to expect that for the first week, and I wanted to give it a decent try.

Last night after the 2 week break, I mixed some Green can into OJ, and my stomach swelled up beyond the normal swelling, and my back started hurting. So I've put the Green Can away again.

I'm ordering more glycine. I wish I could have all the other proteins that are in Green Can. Does anyone know another product that has all the proteins like green can does but not the endotoxin? Or I can add some protein mix to the glycine?

Thank you

lindsay

What brand of glycine are you using???? I've been wanting to try it. And how do you use it? just mix it into beverages????

If you eat protein sources that include the whole animal, you should get the proline and other beneficial amino acids found in gelatin. Looking at a bunch of protein sources and comparing caloric and protein content, scallops look to be a good balanced source of amino acids (but they are pricey).

octaviankid

I used NOW foods glycine when I was vegan. It definitely improved my sleep...what brand of glycine are you using?

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

PureBulk off of Dan's website. I find his website really helpful.

Yeah, I just mix it into tea, OJ, AJ. A tablespoon at a time.

The only animals I'm eating are shrimp at the moment. Crab sometimes. I can't seem to cook scallops properly, but keep trying. I had started ground beef but am off it now.

lindsay

Oysters are also very good - another very nutrient dense seafood. Scallops are best pan seared, I think. Get the pan real hot, add some Coconut Oil or butter (butter has a lower smoke point, so just be aware) and cook the scallops on each side for a couple minutes per side; sprinkle with some salt while cooking. Usually as easy as that!

4peatssake

Best recipe for scallops I've ever found. YUM!

Attachments

• scallops.JPG
    scallops.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 823
OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks, Lindsay and 4peatsake! I converted to scallops when a friend made them for me with carmelized maple syrup/balsamic. I never tasted anything so good...seriously. But I've never been able to duplicate it, and my results are less than tasty. Perhaps I will try again.

On a different note, I ran out of glycine and waited about a week or more to get my bigger tub in. It arrived yesterday, and I've been digging in. Today I noticed I'm peeing a lot (hallelujah!). I hope I keep peeing and that it's related to the glycine.

Also today I took 5mg DHEA in the morning, for the first time. A couple of years ago, a naturopath had recommended it, and I bought it but never took it. I thought I'd try it and see if it makes a difference, since I seem to have high cortisol. If it works, then I'd order better quality off toxinless.

The DHEA I'm taking right now is by Douglas Labs. I'm a bit wary of it going down the wrong path, and that's another reason for my other post listing various bad hormone symptoms. But perhaps the progest-e will counter any negative effect, as it might be doing for preg as well, while allowing it to have good effects. One can hope.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Something -- either the glycine or the DHEA -- is making me very hungry tonight. Like I eat till full, but still hungry. Or maybe it's the red light, but I've been under the light every evening, and tonight it's different. I'm taking several tablespoons of glycine a day -- basically a T in every cup of liquid. Can it make me hungry, or is it the DHEA? Almost feels like low blood sugar, so I keep eating/drinking more...

tara

'Extreme hunger' kicking in as part of recovery?

NotSoAlpha

[ moderator edit: threads merged ]

So I understand Glycine is quite important and gelatin has lots of glycine in it.

Now, I have this tin of Great Lakes Green Gelatin. I don't really like it though, it taste bad, and it's kinda expensive ($54 for a single 1lb tin). I'm also hearing all this talk about endotoxins in it which doesn't sound good either.

I'm wondering about just buying glycine pills. I was looking at these ones: http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/1982-glycine.html

They have B6 in them as well which is a cool bonus.

If I go the pill route, what's the minimum I need to get the benefit?

It says 2-3 pills 2-3 times a day. so like, 3 pills twice a day, that 100 pills would be gone in 16 days. That's $80 a month for this supplement. That's too bloody expensive and works out even more expensive than the GELATIN!

I just want to know what the minimum glycine you need to get benefit from it is?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it in powder, you can't be eating 100mg of B6 every day.

loess

Stryker

Nutrabio glycine check it out

500 gram tub of powder 22 dollars

Gelatin is around 20% glycine and some people recommend 20-30g of gelatin a day so 4-6 grams pure glycine should suffice

tara

NotSoAlpha said:
Now, I have this tin of Great Lakes Green Gelatin. I don't really like it though, it taste bad, and it's kinda expensive ($54 for a single 1lb tin). I'm also hearing all this talk about endotoxins in it which doesn't sound good either.
What about the stuff in your local supermarkets? Should be a lot cheaper than importing. You could give it a try and see if it agrees with you. Gelatine only tastes good if you mix it with something good. Make jelly, blancmange, etc - check out recipes.

treelady

Gelatin vs Glycine - My :2cents - I switched to glycine and my body thanks me.
I had been taking a glycine capsule before bed to make it easy to fall asleep but now I'm trying the powder too. I'm putting it in smoothies, coffees, ice creams... Strangely it made me sleepy when I took it at night but I seem to be getting all this energy from it now during the day... So far I'm lovin' it.

I got mine here http://www.vitacost.com/natures-life-glycine-powder-unflavored

G

gummybear

[ moderator edit: threads merged ]

Which is the best of these two? I heard that gelatin may contain some endotoxins. But gelatin also have protein and some other benefical amino acids besides glycine.

Last edited by a moderator:

fyo

Actual collagenous tissue. Balanced, pure, flavorful. Collagen contains gelation/glycine and makes up a large portion of the animal.

G

gummybear

fyo said:
Actual collagenous tissue. Balanced, pure, flavorful. Collagen contains gelation/glycine and makes up a large portion of the animal.

You mean bone broth?

Gl;itch.e

Best is probably relative to what you want to accomplish. I think Gelatine is reasonably versatile for use in hot drinks/cooking/candies so can be used as a part of your overall protein intake. Glycine on its own might be useful for bringing inflammation in check if you can't get enough via gelatine and normal foods. Peat would advise caution when supplementing individual amino acids though. Mostly from the perspective of potential contaminants I believe.