Low-dose Glycine As A Treatment For Menopause, Osteoporosis, Obesity

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study is a great find IMO but unfortunately it uses the elevations in blood levels of estrogen as a reason to label glycine as estrogenic, which is wrong. Just like progesterone, glycine can trigger release of estrogen from tissues/cells and this elevates the blood levels while lowering it in tissues. I also posted a study recently showing glycine upregulates 5-AR activity and as such it is pro-androgenic, so I really doubt it has any systemic estrogenic effects.
The good news is that even a very low dose glycine seems to have these beneficial effects. The human equivalent dose was 0.7mg/kg daily , which translates to a daily dose of less than 75mg daily for most people. Duration was 8 weeks. Not only did glycine reverse the effects of menopause on tissue and bone atrophy, but it also essentially prevented the obesity that developed as a result of menopause. Knowing the role of estrogen in obesity, this is another clue that glycine was probably not estrogenic systemically but rather quite the opposite.
Combined with the recent thread on aspirin being a "novel" drug for osteoporosis even at doses of <500mg daily, and the protective effects of glycine on bleeding issues caused by aspirin, the combination of the two seems more and more like a blockbuster idea. No wonder it has been sold as a drug in that formulation for the last 50 years in Eastern Europe and Asia.

Estrogen-like osteoprotective effects of glycine in in vitro and in vivo models of menopause. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Glycine significantly increased the MG-63 cell proliferation in a dose-dependent manner. Activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and phosphorylation of extracellular-signal-regulated kinase were increased by glycine in MG-63 cells. Glycine also increased the BrdU-incorporation and Ki-67 mRNA expression in MCF-7 cells. Glycine induced the up-regulation of estrogen receptor-β mRNA expression and estrogen-response element-luciferase activity in MG-63 and MCF-7 cells. In OVX mice, glycine was administered orally at a daily dose of 10 mg/kg per day for 8 weeks. Glycine resulted in the greatest decrease in weight gain caused by ovariectomy. Meanwhile, vaginal weight reduced by ovariectomy was increased by glycine. Glycine significantly increased the ALP activity in OVX mice. MicroCT-analysis showed that glycine significantly enhanced bone mineral density, trabecular number, and connectivity density in OVX mice. Moreover, glycine significantly increased the serum 17β-estradiol levels reduced by ovariectomy. Glycine has an estrogen-like osteoprotective effect in menopause models. Therefore, we suggest that glycine may be useful for the treatment of menopause."

SQu

"Therefore, we suggest that glycine may be useful for the treatment of menopause."
Last week I searched the forum for heavy prolonged menstrual bleeding, a new addition to my menopausal fun. I found the advice of 58g gelatin divided into 3 doses a day. This stopped the problem overnight and has worked for the past 3 days when I'm on a stressful trip, no access to suitable bathrooms or laundry. Or decent regular meals. So it has doubled as most of my daily protein, in hot water with much sugar. I would have been in a lot of trouble without it. I plan to keep this up if nausea doesn't get me. None so far. Thanks for the info, I'm grateful.

"Therefore, we suggest that glycine may be useful for the treatment of menopause."
Last week I searched the forum for heavy prolonged menstrual bleeding, a new addition to my menopausal fun. I found the advice of 58g gelatin divided into 3 doses a day. This stopped the problem overnight and has worked for the past 3 days when I'm on a stressful trip, no access to suitable bathrooms or laundry. Or decent regular meals. So it has doubled as most of my daily protein, in hot water with much sugar. I would have been in a lot of trouble without it. I plan to keep this up if nausea doesn't get me. None so far. Thanks for the info, I'm grateful.

Wow. Keep us posted. How amazing!

moss

Thanks haidut interesting article.

Agree with ecstatichamster (cute username).
SQu it would be great to hear any updates about this and wonderful that you were able to stem the bleed, particularly not being in the comfort of your own home. I know that is not any easy place to be...
I am now going to up my dose of gelatin and see what happens. I am not experiencing menorrhagia anymore, however, the hot flushes have started with a bang (it has been a very busy and stressful period the past 3 months) and I am hoping to knock them on the head quickly. Will post an update if anything newsworthy.

Parsifal

"Glycine has an estrogen-like osteoprotective effect in menopause models."

XD

kitback

I started taking glycine two months ago. I'm 63, obese, diabetic, post menopausal. I quickly gained about 4 pounds of edema, practically overnight. Since then, I have gained about five more pounds. Since I am obese, this is not a good thing. I had been losing weight slowly but now not only can I not lose, but I am just trying not to gain anymore.

I have found the glycine improves my sleep. I have terrible issues with sleep where I can usually sleep only two or three hours at a time. The glycine enables me to sleep at least four or five hours at a stretch so I am reluctant to give it up but I do not enjoy the issues with edema and weight gain.

Anyone else have issues with weight gain and edema from glycine?

@kitback it is probably estrogen leaving your cells. You may want to try large doses of progesterone for a few days. That seems to work really well for a lot of people to flush the estrogen out.

kitback

@kitback it is probably estrogen leaving your cells. You may want to try large doses of progesterone for a few days. That seems to work really well for a lot of people to flush the estrogen out.
Thanks for the input. I felt like it was estrogen related but since it seems to be highly recommended, I was confused.

Actually, I did increase my progesterone a few weeks ago and that seemed to make things even worse! I had breast tenderness and spotting, something I haven't had since menopause over 10 years ago. So I went off the progesterone and got rid of the spotting and sore breasts and a little of the edema.

Maybe the worsening of symptoms was due to more estrogen being flushed out by the Progest-E.

Last edited:
progesterone in small amounts can cause that as you say because of estrogen flushing. You may need a teaspoon or something like that, once or twice.

Just like progesterone, glycine can trigger release of estrogen from tissues/cells and this elevates the blood levels while lowering it in tissue.

@haidut, the idea that progesterone or glycine can lead to the tissues releasing their estrogen into plasma and exacerbating symptoms in the short term is interesting. Could you point me to the relevant references?

My own experience is that taking a teaspoon of glycine + 1 gm aspirin induces water retention within minutes that the same amount of aspirin alone does not, either because Glycine increases aspirin absorption, or the mechanism above.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut, the idea that progesterone or glycine can lead to the tissues releasing their estrogen into plasma and exacerbating symptoms in the short term is interesting. Could you point me to the relevant references?

My own experience is that taking a teaspoon of glycine + 1 gm aspirin induces water retention within minutes that the same amount of aspirin alone does not, either because Glycine increases aspirin absorption, or the mechanism above.

Life Supporting Substances - It's Rain Making Time, 2011-07-04
"...But since progesterone is decreasing, progesterone happens to be what inhibits the formation of estrogen inside the cells, all through the body. If you don't have very much progesterone, the estrogen goes on being synthesized, but it can't escape from the cell into the bloodstream, where it could be excreted from the body. So, while the body is actually loading up inside the cells with estrogen (when there is a progesterone deficiency), the blood shows very low level of estrogen, because it can't leave the cell. It needs things such as progesterone to loosen it from the binding proteins called "receptors" in the cells."

There are quite a few studies showing tissue steroid levels do not correlate with plasma. There is a thread on women testing progesterone and estrogen and based on the their cycle phase they can get some correlation/ratio of plasma/tissue. I would read this entire thread:
Progesterone To Estradiol Ratio (P:E2)

kitback

@haidut

This has been my experience also. I gained 4 pounds of fluid overnight after taking the first dose of glycine. I do take it with aspirin, among other things .

lindsay

How much gelatin eating does this translate into? I know gelatin is something like 35% glycine, so 1 tbsp. of gelatin per day should be more than enough, no? I would plug it into cronometer, but cronometer doesn't show glycine content of proteins :( And is more glycine better? Or is the low dose likely a better option?

800mRepeats

How much gelatin eating does this translate into? I know gelatin is something like 35% glycine, so 1 tbsp. of gelatin per day should be more than enough, no? I would plug it into cronometer, but cronometer doesn't show glycine content of proteins :( And is more glycine better? Or is the low dose likely a better option?

According to Cronometer, 2 tbsp. of gelatin has 12.0 gm protein, of which 2.7 gm is glycine (22.5%)

lindsay

According to Cronometer, 2 tbsp. of gelatin has 12.0 gm protein, of which 2.7 gm is glycine (22.5%)

So 1 tbsp. is plenty then. Although, it likely varies. For instance, one tbsp. (according to the Great Lakes can label) is 12 grams of gelatin, which would be the 2.7 grams of glycine. The question still, is more glycine better? Or is the low dose more effective. I don't love eating tons of gelatin (unless we are talking Haribo gummy alphabet letters). So if less is better, that's good news to me.

P.S. once upon a time I was good at math and could have done the equation, except I think that it just seemed like only a tsp. equivalent of gelatin was too good to be true ;)

whodathunkit

@haidut, thanks for an informative post! I always wondered why progesterone and gelatin seemed to make my uterine fibroids swell when conventional wisdom said that progesterone especially would have a good effect on them. The fact that both progesterone and glycine can force estrogen from cells and into circulation (where it can presumably act on cells in other places) explains it all. Although I don't recall getting the same effect from glycine powder (amino acid, not gelatin) when I took it in the past.

My question: if we get edema and bloating from glycine powder (as is currently happening to me, started taking glycine for another problem about a week ago), will it eventually force all the unneeded estrogen from our cells, eliminating the bad sides over time? Would you care to speculate on that?

Thank for any input. :)

dd99

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if you go to settings in Cronometer, you can adjust which aminos appear, and glycine is one of then.

@haidut, thanks for an informative post! I always wondered why progesterone and gelatin seemed to make my uterine fibroids swell when conventional wisdom said that progesterone especially would have a good effect on them. The fact that both progesterone and glycine can force estrogen from cells and into circulation (where it can presumably act on cells in other places) explains it all. Although I don't recall getting the same effect from glycine powder (amino acid, not gelatin) when I took it in the past.

My question: if we get edema and bloating from glycine powder (as is currently happening to me, started taking glycine for another problem about a week ago), will it eventually force all the unneeded estrogen from our cells, eliminating the bad sides over time? Would you care to speculate on that?

Thank for any input. :)
I'm wondering if forcing unneeded estrogen from cells into the circulation where it can stimulate things like fibroid growth might also influence the growth of cells in the breast. My question would be if that short term release of cellular hormone could be harmful? I suppose the carrot salad might help in the elimination of some estrogen. I have been using gelatin for the past 2 weeks and have also noticed edema.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals