GABA And Glycine Have The Same Effects In The CNS

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this simply as a pointer for those that suspect they have GABA signalling deficiency. Accodring to this study, instead of supplementing with GABA (which is hard to find in good quality) supplementing with glycine may have the same effects/benefits. Peat spoke about the similarity of GABA, alanine, taurine and glycine before, but this study says glycine and GABA are not just similar but can substitute for each other (at least in the CNS). The study also suggests glycine could be a treatment with exaggerated startle response, which a good number of people on this forum reported. So, it seems that being easily startled is linked to GABA deficiency in the brain.

GABA and glycine sometimes are interchangeable, by Jaime de Juan Sanz
"...These results are particularly relevant to our molecular understanding of startle disease and how the medical community is treating this dysfunction. It is known that the startle response is finely tuned by inhibitory inputs from the VNLL, classically considered glycinergic. However, results from Moore and Trussell clearly demonstrate that a GABAergic component contributes to VNLL inhibition in the ICC, and their detailed studies of glycine and GABA responses in this pathway suggest that the two neurotransmitters may be functionally interchangeable. This suggests symptoms of the exaggerated startle response in hyperekplexia might be reduced by compensating for the lack of glycinergic neurotransmission with increased GABAergic neurotransmission. In fact, currently the most effective treatment for startle disease is the administration of GABA receptor agonists, such as Clonazepam, which significantly reduces startle activity in hyperekplexia patients (Zhou et al., 2002). Moore and Trussell’s results offer new details that should help to understand the molecular basis of this pharmacological compensation, helping the medical community to better exploit this pathway for future benefit. In addition, this work reveals a new role for glycine/GABA corelease in the CNS, where the action of both neurotransmitters appears interchangeable. Independent receptor modulation coupled with the highly similar features of coreleased GABA and glycine observed in the study by Moore and Trussell may further permit the neurotransmitters to compensate for one another under conditions where one system is compromised, maintaining homeostasis of inhibitory networks integrated in the ICC."

bdawg

I am posting this simply as a pointer for those that suspect they have GABA signalling deficiency. Accodring to this study, instead of supplementing with GABA (which is hard to find in good quality) supplementing with glycine may have the same effects/benefits. Peat spoke about the similarity of GABA, alanine, taurine and glycine before, but this study says glycine and GABA are not just similar but can substitute for each other (at least in the CNS). The study also suggests glycine could be a treatment with exaggerated startle response, which a good number of people on this forum reported. So, it seems that being easily startled is linked to GABA deficiency in the brain.

"...These results are particularly relevant to our molecular understanding of startle disease and how the medical community is treating this dysfunction. It is known that the startle response is finely tuned by inhibitory inputs from the VNLL, classically considered glycinergic. However, results from Moore and Trussell clearly demonstrate that a GABAergic component contributes to VNLL inhibition in the ICC, and their detailed studies of glycine and GABA responses in this pathway suggest that the two neurotransmitters may be functionally interchangeable. This suggests symptoms of the exaggerated startle response in hyperekplexia might be reduced by compensating for the lack of glycinergic neurotransmission with increased GABAergic neurotransmission. In fact, currently the most effective treatment for startle disease is the administration of GABA receptor agonists, such as Clonazepam, which significantly reduces startle activity in hyperekplexia patients (Zhou et al., 2002). Moore and Trussell’s results offer new details that should help to understand the molecular basis of this pharmacological compensation, helping the medical community to better exploit this pathway for future benefit. In addition, this work reveals a new role for glycine/GABA corelease in the CNS, where the action of both neurotransmitters appears interchangeable. Independent receptor modulation coupled with the highly similar features of coreleased GABA and glycine observed in the study by Moore and Trussell may further permit the neurotransmitters to compensate for one another under conditions where one system is compromised, maintaining homeostasis of inhibitory networks integrated in the ICC."

I've been getting insanely good quality sleep on 5g glycine before bed after Chris Masterjohns recommendation, not sure if its related to GABA neurotransmission

griesburner

I find the information about glycine a bit confusing. In forums all over the web you often read that it helps with anxiety, is sedating etc. (what sounds good), but as I was searching for intervention studys whith supplemental glycine, i only found some rat studys who showed an anxiogenic effect:

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbcpp.2007.18.2/jbcpp.2007.18.2.141/jbcpp.2007.18.2.141.xml

Another thing i read about glycine is, that its an NMDA-agonist, as it binds to it like glutamate. Wouldnt that be a bad thing?

I was planning to supplement with it, but as I'm suffering from anxiety, I'm a bit sceptical now. Hope someone could clarify this things.

Soren

Forum Supporter
This is also an example as to why Gelatin has beneficial effects with regards to diabetes. There have been studies to show that GABA supplementation reverses type 1 diabetes in animal experiments and Ray has written about the beneficial effects of Gelatin on diabetes.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've been getting insanely good quality sleep on 5g glycine before bed after Chris Masterjohns recommendation, not sure if its related to GABA neurotransmission

Not surprised. Human studies with even 3g before bed showed great effects.
Glycine and Sleep

Makrosky

I find the information about glycine a bit confusing. In forums all over the web you often read that it helps with anxiety, is sedating etc. (what sounds good), but as I was searching for intervention studys whith supplemental glycine, i only found some rat studys who showed an anxiogenic effect:

Dose-related anxiogenic effect of glycine in the elevated plus maze and in electrodermal activity : Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology

Another thing i read about glycine is, that its an NMDA-agonist, as it binds to it like glutamate. Wouldnt that be a bad thing?

I was planning to supplement with it, but as I'm suffering from anxiety, I'm a bit sceptical now. Hope someone could clarify this things.
Three things come to my mind :

1.- Taking it without "fuel". We know consuming proteins without carbs can trigger a stress reaction. Albeit glycine seems an aminoacid which is more difficult to cause a stress reaction if not taken with carbs (it's discussed in another thread in the forum).

2.- I don't remember exactly but when I tried glycine I think I used to get increased anxiety the next day, like a downregulation of GABA receptors. It wouldn't surprise me that can happen. I even started a thread about that.

3.- Individual differences, of course.

bdawg

Dose-related anxiogenic effect of glycine in the elevated plus maze and in electrodermal activity : Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology

ive seen this and other studies about anxiety and anxiolytic action by glycine antagonists - no idea why but seems to be specific to the dorsal periaqueductal gray matter and it was injected

Increased GABA neurotransmission should lead to reduced anxiety if anything

griesburner

It's not too expensive to try it yourself.

i was not sceptical cause of the price. but i was afraid that it coul made my anxiety worse cause of an negative reaction to it. But i have tried again sometimes small doses and it have a slight panic feeling after ingestion dont know why exactly.

GAF

but i was afraid that it coul made my anxiety worse cause of an negative reaction to it.

Having anxiety about having anxiety is against the law on this forum.

Your punishment for failing to experiment is daily serotonin injections.

InChristAlone

i was not sceptical cause of the price. but i was afraid that it coul made my anxiety worse cause of an negative reaction to it. But i have tried again sometimes small doses and it have a slight panic feeling after ingestion dont know why exactly.
I get some panic with glycine as well. Not gelatin though. Sometimes pure amino acids have paradoxical effects in some people. Doesn't mean glycine isn't good for you just that the pure supplement may have caused an imbalance. All about balance :handok:

griesburner

I get some panic with glycine as well. Not gelatin though. Sometimes pure amino acids have paradoxical effects in some people. Doesn't mean glycine isn't good for you just that the pure supplement may have caused an imbalance. All about balance

yes i think you are right. i tryed nearly all amino acids and all caused negative effects. Strange how such small amounts in isolation could work entirely different than bigger amounts but natural mixed in food. But its bad cause the studys on glycine are so good. And gelatin in powdered form is maybe not so optimal cause ive read here often mentioned endotoxin could be in it. The only alternative would be homemade soups of oxtail etc but i dont wanna cook that all day. want some practial time efficient way to get good protein in a shaker to get through the day ;)

InChristAlone

yes i think you are right. i tryed nearly all amino acids and all caused negative effects. Strange how such small amounts in isolation could work entirely different than bigger amounts but natural mixed in food. But its bad cause the studys on glycine are so good. And gelatin in powdered form is maybe not so optimal cause ive read here often mentioned endotoxin could be in it. The only alternative would be homemade soups of oxtail etc but i dont wanna cook that all day. want some practial time efficient way to get good protein in a shaker to get through the day ;)
Yeah I hear ya. I don't typically use gelatin. But I have been making rump roast once a week. I found out it's full of collagen! Get a nice gel out of the drippings. Use it for gravy with the meal.

SOMO

How long before bed should I take Glycine or GABA? How long does it take to feel an effect?

I usually work/study right up until bedtime and don't want to reduce productivity or feel sleepy until I'm ready to sleep.

AJA

I take glycine 3 grams with every meal. Helps me with acid balance, digestion, blood sugar balance, better skin, has improved lowering residual urine (prostate) and levels out caffeine. Immunity is stronger. Anti-aging???
I do not take at bedtime though - prefer a small dose of melatonin and calcium/magnesium. If I awaken I will take a gram or so of Passion Flower.
P.S. - GABA was a hit or miss when taken with or without food. I no longer buy it.

Last edited:

magnesiumania

Ive experiemented with gelatin, collagen and glycine. They all have both positive and negative effects on me. Increased learning usually follow the same day but next day i often feel more out of breath. Glycine works best with food or hydrolysed collagen i think. Alone/in isolation i feel a little alien

MikeyFitz

Wow! This confirms what I have been experiencing personally with Glycine supplementation.

I typically do my weight training in the early evenings, 3-4 days per week.

My intra-workout and post-workout drink is orange juice with BCAA's, 3g Glycine, and 3g HMB with a tiny bit of baking soda.

Right after my 30-40 min workout I am still feeling high energy.

But about 1 hour after getting home from the gym (usually 7:00) I start to feel drowsy.

My last meal of the day is very high carb - fruit covered with sugar, very well cooked Sushi rice, and either ground beef with liver or chicken with liver and some gelatin powder sprinkled on it. BTW the best sauce I've ever had on this meal is a homemade orange sauce which is just a little bit of orange marmalaide and coconut oil heated lightly in a small pan.

An hour after this meal I am ready to fall asleep.

So whereas I used to be very wired after a workout, I think supplementing with Glycine has really taken the edge off in the evenings.

I never have sleep issues and I'm 59 yrs old.

P.S. - 24 drops EstroBan and 5 drops of CortiNon+ (8:1) are my nighttime supplements right before bed.

- MikeyFitz