Glutamate and Mental Problems - Any Hacks to overcome??

Andy316

I did an amino acid test recently and was found to be high in Glutamate. This explains why I used to get excitotoxic symptoms (Panic, OCD, Anger, Migraine, sometimes suicidal thoughts) after eating specific foods like Shitake and Button Mushrooms, any cheese, Potatoes, Bone Broth, All seafood, Foods cooked with Asian Sauces, Chargrilled/roasted meat of any kind, Bread etc. Certain high glutamate foods like Shitake, Fish sauce even bring hemorrhoids both from my belly button and anus. I even cant do supplements in gelatin capsules.

A few hacks that help as temporary measures:

1) Cooking boneless meats quickly to avoid releasing excess glutamate
2) Avoiding going to restaurants.
3) A bit of Coke or Pepsi seems to help subside "mental" issues for a little while (Having other caffeinated foods or sugar or fruits doesn't have this effect)
4) Avoiding Masturbation as this seems to give me the same mental issues like Glutamate foods for the next 2-3 days.

I have tried mindful meditation but it did not help one bit.

Would really appreciate if anyone else can chime in with any hacks(Lifestyle changes, supplements, foods) that has helped them.

Frankdee20

I did an amino acid test recently and was found to be high in Glutamate. This explains why I used to get excitotoxic symptoms (Panic, OCD, Anger, Migraine, sometimes suicidal thoughts) after eating specific foods like Shitake and Button Mushrooms, any cheese, Potatoes, Bone Broth, All seafood, Foods cooked with Asian Sauces, Chargrilled/roasted meat of any kind, Bread etc. Certain high glutamate foods like Shitake, Fish sauce even bring hemorrhoids both from my belly button and anus. I even cant do supplements in gelatin capsules.

A few hacks that help as temporary measures:

1) Cooking boneless meats quickly to avoid releasing excess glutamate
2) Avoiding going to restaurants.
3) A bit of Coke or Pepsi seems to help subside "mental" issues for a little while (Having other caffeinated foods or sugar or fruits doesn't have this effect)
4) Avoiding Masturbation as this seems to give me the same mental issues like Glutamate foods for the next 2-3 days.

I have tried mindful meditation but it did not help one bit.

Would really appreciate if anyone else can chime in with any hacks(Lifestyle changes, supplements, foods) that has helped them.
There are so many common N Methyl D Aspartate blockers in basic nutrients. That can lower glutamate, but glutamate and it’s opposite GABA are produced by the same amino acid Glutamic Acid.

marcod

A high fat, low carb diet (aka Keto diet) has been used clinically to treat seizures and epilepsy since the 1920s (1), which is a condition influenced by high level of glutamate (2) , an excitatory neurotransmitter. The reason why a keto diet works for seizures is thought to be due to ketone bodies (Beta-Hydroxybutyrate) which elevate during a high fat, low carb diet and increases GABA (3) the main anxiolytic and inhibitory neurotransmitter.
Ketosis has multiple proposed therapeutic properties (4).

(1) "More fat and fewer seizures: dietary therapies for epilepsy" Redirecting
(2) "Glutamatergic Mechanisms Associated with Seizures and Epilepsy" Glutamatergic Mechanisms Associated with Seizures and Epilepsy
(3) "Beta-hydroxybutyrate alters GABA-transaminase activity in cultured astrocytes" Redirecting
(4) "The therapeutic implications of ketone bodies: the effects of ketone bodies in pathological conditions: ketosis, ketogenic diet, redox states, insulin resistance, and mitochondrial metabolism" Redirecting

reality

I’m not sure how accurate those amino acids tests are. But what you’re describing also sounds a lot like histamine problems. TMG (trimethylglycine) might help in that case

OP
A

Andy316

@marcod @Frankdee20 I have tried all kinds of diet including Keto, it made my symptoms worse. Does some of the High Glutamate get converted to GABA? I never did well with supplements (Magnesium, Glycine) or practices (Hot showers, long sleep duration, Massages) that improve GABA, made me more anxious and gives stiff neck (A sign I always find to indicate that my body was too relaxed).

OP
A

Andy316

I’m not sure how accurate those amino acids tests are. But what you’re describing also sounds a lot like histamine problems. TMG (trimethylglycine) might help in that case
What other tests do you recommend? I do have histamine issues, but experimenting and narrowing down to a specific set of foods and cooking methods has resolved that around 95% for me.

Frankdee20

@marcod @Frankdee20 I have tried all kinds of diet including Keto, it made my symptoms worse. Does some of the High Glutamate get converted to GABA? I never did well with supplements (Magnesium, Glycine) or practices (Hot showers, long sleep duration, Massages) that improve GABA, made me more anxious and gives stiff neck (A sign I always find to indicate that my body was too relaxed).
GABA production is regulated by the enzyme Glutamic Acid DECARBOXYLASE which converts Glutamate into GABA. There’s also the enzyme GABA transaminase that breaks down gaba, but you want something to inhibit this enzyme.

You can try Magnolia bark, kava and valerian root.

cjm

Take GABA itself. When I overdo nicotine and pot, the symptoms are glutaminergic, i.e. panic and OCD, and GABA helps to slow them down so that I can process the emotions that inevitably crop up. Mindfulness should be a trusty tool but it's no match for an overdose. I took 7.5 grams of GABA yesterday and needed more to relax my hips and shoulders where I have the deepest muscle tension. Careful using a 1/2 teaspoon or more (1g+) per dose as it can cause acute breathlessness, which is legit scary when it happens but can be overcome in the moment, and it eventually subsides on its own.

Last edited:

Regina

Have you tried pregnenolone?
Vitamin D, pregnenolone, magnesium and glycine as well as calcium-rich diet and good quality orange juice.

I'd also go with high sugar and fruit and high salt.

YourUniverse

Take GABA itself. When I overdo nicotine and pot, the symptoms are glutaminergic, i.e. panic and OCD, and GABA helps to slow them down so that I can process the emotions that inevitably crop up. Mindfulness should be a trusty tool but it's no match for an overdose. I took 7.5 grams of GABA yesterday and needed more to relax my hips and shoulders where I have the deepest muscle tension. Careful using a 1/2 teaspoon or more (1g+) per dose as it can cause acute breathlessness, which is legit scary when it happens but can be overcome in the moment, and it eventually subsides on its own.
Is GABA all youve found to remedy your tight hips and shoulders?

cjm

Is GABA all youve found to remedy your tight hips and shoulders?

Yeah, basically. Niacin was working okay but stopped after the flush went away. Vitamin K works really well but it's too expensive.

Hidden49

Use Nerve Calm RNA from Amy Yaskos webstore Holistic Health, was the best thing by a mile for lowering high glutamate levels for me, the supplements known for lowering glutamate didn’t help or work anything like this product. Grape seed extract (not grapefruit seed) which affects calcium channels and lowers glutamate I also found helpful too.

But there are reasons why you are sensitive to glutamates in the first place , heavy metal toxicity, pathogens, mineral deficiencies/excess (for example if your calcium is too high compared to magnesium this will cause excitotoxicty (high glutamate) and lastly glyphosate exposure in foods.

cjm

Avoiding Masturbation as this seems to give me the same mental issues like Glutamate foods for the next 2-3 days.

Of all the things I've tracked and observed over the years, masturbation is not one of them. Is it the orgasm at work here?

"I never did well with supplements (Magnesium, Glycine) or practices (Hot showers, long sleep duration, Massages) that improve GABA, made me more anxious and gives stiff neck (A sign I always find to indicate that my body was too relaxed)."

I don't buy " too relaxed" -- I think those things you mentioned increased your metabolism faster than your body could supply fuel. That, or the release of nitric oxide created a pathological relaxation.

Bluebell

It might be that your body is not converting the glutamate to GABA, so the more glutamine etc you take the higher your glutamate levels get. This guy throws around few theories on possible root causes, could give some clues for your research:
As far as first aid goes, you could try small amounts of niacinamide, or B2, or other Bs and see if they work for your situation (personally I'd avoid B12 and folate).
Let us know if you ever find out what the root cause is for you.

Mr Joe

Niacinamide, taurine, theanine, progesterone, pregnenolone etc... will help. Supp with magnesium and glycine as well. You should check what blocks GABA production (check thyroid, vitamin D, prolactin, acth cortisol). You stated that masturbation has an impact so I would check thyroid and prolactin in priority. GABA is linked to high energy production and create the sense of relaxation. Excess glutamate will cause decrease in GABA and thus depression, anxiety and feeling of lack of relaxation.

OP
A

Andy316

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Had an office lunch yesterday and got the same glutamate reaction (spaced out, panicky), again small amount of regular pepsi helped.

BeBetter

Maybe l-theanine would help.

L-Theanine reduces psychological and physiological stress responses​

"L-Theanine is an amino acid contained in green tea leaves which is known to block the binding of L-glutamic acid to glutamate receptors in the brain."

I would try the supplement, not the green tea.

PS: I didn't know potatoes were high in glutamates! :oops:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom