Why Does Lysine Give Me A Headache?

Elle

When I begin to take lysine or increase my dosage, I get a headache. At first it's a mild headache all over and then it settles into one side of my sinuses, and not always the same side. Is this just the nature of beginning lysine? Or is something out of balance? Judging on past but brief experience, I think/hope I will adjust and the headaches will stop, but I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or need to be taking something else to help mitigate it.

tresleches

I have the same problem Elle. If I take just one 1000 mg tablet, my head hurts for an entire day. I find it interesting that they are using Lysine to cure migrains when it sems that it gives me one. Anyway, not sure if you've found anymore info, but I'd like to know as well.

milk_lover

What brand are you using and what are the ingredients? Do you take sugar with it as headaches could be a sign of low blood sugar?

tresleches

I've tried Nature Made and the Target brand. Supposedly, there are no added sugars, preservatives, ect. I've tried with and without food. It always ends up the same...with a headache.

OP
E

Elle

I have yet to determine what causes the heacaches. I have always taken it with a meal, so I'm not sure about blood sugar. Perhaps it's serotonin related, idk. I would suggest starting with a low dosage and slowly increasing. One 500mg pill initially gave me a headache and I found that starting with half a pill and increasing by 250mg over a few day works best to avoid a headache. I also take 1000mg, but I divide it into 2 doses.

milk_lover

I have yet to determine what causes the heacaches. I have always taken it with a meal, so I'm not sure about blood sugar. Perhaps it's serotonin related, idk. I would suggest starting with a low dosage and slowly increasing. One 500mg pill initially gave me a headache and I found that starting with half a pill and increasing by 250mg over a few day works best to avoid a headache. I also take 1000mg, but I divide it into 2 doses.
Also could the headache be an ammonia issue? Laysine may inhibit an enzyme that degrade ammonia. High protein meal could increase ammonia and if lysine is taken with it, that might keep ammonia elevated. I did a quick search and found headache is a symptom of elevated ammonia if it crosses the brain barrier. I am just speculating here, I wrote a post about this (search the words lysine and ammonia and tick the title box). Maybe try to take lysine away from protein rich meal like OJ and see how you react? I am using Food Now with no headache problem.