I Have Been Medically Cleared Out Of Severe Insomnia Yesterday; Started "peating" In May 2017

ilpmusic

I have been medically cleared from severe insomnia which I've suffered since 2004. In May 6, 2017 I started using beef gelatin. Then I discovered the Ray Peat guide lines. I discovered that gelatin at night is better than collagen for people who have sleep issues. I do use collagen throughout the day mixing it with orange juice. However when I use collagen at night before I go to bed my sleep is not that deep. I also added to my diet orange juice, sugar, salt, fruit vegetables, whitefish, low-fat dairy, natural ice cream (which only has eggs, cream, milk, sugar, natural flavoring ). Prior to this change in eating, I was using for 10 years Rozerem 8 mg which I noticed was causing bloating, abdominal pain, and tons of weight gain. The weight is slowly coming off however I am looking to lose 10 pounds to fit in my clothes. One of the interesting side effects is I also have gained in the bustline 2 1/2 cup size and remain the same in my band size. I am not sure if it's because of the gelatin with 1% milk. Before eating this way I was eating lots of nuts, broccoli, avocados,vegetable oil, almond milk, seeds, salmon. Cutting these items out including also I believe these changes help cure my insomnia. Now I have to deal with the weight gain that the medication caused. It's not that easy to lose even after I stopped the medication. I rejoice in the fact that my 13 years battling insomnia is pretty much over. I still have to be careful not to use my computer too late at night and try to get to bed earlier.Another thing that helped was also using Epson salt baths which I do about once a week. When I told my doctor that I was using beef gelatin which health my sleep, he said beef gelatin is the most natural thing I can take. And if it is working to help me sleep to continue to take it. I was very concerned about the beef gelatin intake because I have not eaten beef for over 20 years and was afraid of any type of side effects. But his reassurance is what I needed to continue with this route. If anybody have any ideas for weight loss it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

burtlancast

Congratulations for overcoming your insomnias.

I've read your post and would like to suggest:

- blue blocking glasses to block blue light after 20.00 o'clock; it works very well in a lot of people with intractable insomnia
- coconut oil for fat loss
- magnesium chloride for metabolism activation, muscle relaxation, as well as heavy metal elimination
- avoidance of home wifi, home cordless phones and fluorescent bulbs; all of those can trigger migraines and disturb the nervous system
- avoidance of glutamate, aspartame and fluoride, all proven neurotoxins

aguilaroja

I have been medically cleared from severe insomnia which I've suffered since 2004. In May 6, 2017 I started using beef gelatin. Then I discovered the Ray Peat guide lines. I discovered that gelatin at night is better than collagen for people who have sleep issues...
I was using for 10 years Rozerem 8 mg which I noticed was causing bloating, abdominal pain, and tons of weight gain.
...I told my doctor that I was using beef gelatin which health my sleep, he said beef gelatin is the most natural thing I can take. And if it is working to help me sleep to continue to take it.

First, thanks for the great report.

@burtlancast mentioned blue blocking glasses and other useful ideas.

Since Ramelteon/Rozerem binds to melatonin receptors, I wonder if use of red light regionally to different areas might help with the weight and tissue recovery. This is raised as speculation. I am not familiar with restoration after Ramelteon use of this duration. There are many threads on the forum about red light, and also suggestions from moderator @Dan Wich on his resource site:
The inexpensive red light devices I use - Toxinless

It is a simple, inexpensive (usually) and safe exploration to do. The forum has many interesting reports.

yerrag

Congratulations!

I always thought that collagen hydrolysate is simply gelatin made to be more easily mixed with our drinks. Interesting that you find gelatin to be better for sleep than collagen. I should do some testing myself.

OP
I

ilpmusic

Congratulations!

I always thought that collagen hydrolysate is simply gelatin made to be more easily mixed with our drinks. Interesting that you find gelatin to be better for sleep than collagen. I should do some testing myself.
I experimented with both collagen and gelatin. The nights that I would use collagen I did not sleep as deep or sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night. But when I would take gelatin, I would sleep throughout the whole night.

yerrag

I experimented with both collagen and gelatin. The nights that I would use collagen I did not sleep as deep or sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night. But when I would take gelatin, I would sleep throughout the whole night.
I should try gelatin then! Are you first making it into jello form before using it?

OP
I

ilpmusic

- blue blocking glasses to block blue light after 20.00 o'clock; it works very well in a lot of people with intractable insomnia
- magnesium chloride for metabolism activation, muscle relaxation, as well as heavy metal elimination
- avoidance of home wifi, home cordless phones and fluorescent bulbs; all of those can trigger migraines and disturb the nervous system
What brand of blue blocking glasses do you recommend or what features should I look for? I see various types on eBay

alywest

I have been medically cleared from severe insomnia which I've suffered since 2004. In May 6, 2017 I started using beef gelatin. Then I discovered the Ray Peat guide lines. I discovered that gelatin at night is better than collagen for people who have sleep issues. I do use collagen throughout the day mixing it with orange juice. However when I use collagen at night before I go to bed my sleep is not that deep. I also added to my diet orange juice, sugar, salt, fruit vegetables, whitefish, low-fat dairy, natural ice cream (which only has eggs, cream, milk, sugar, natural flavoring ). Prior to this change in eating, I was using for 10 years Rozerem 8 mg which I noticed was causing bloating, abdominal pain, and tons of weight gain. The weight is slowly coming off however I am looking to lose 10 pounds to fit in my clothes. One of the interesting side effects is I also have gained in the bustline 2 1/2 cup size and remain the same in my band size. I am not sure if it's because of the gelatin with 1% milk. Before eating this way I was eating lots of nuts, broccoli, avocados,vegetable oil, almond milk, seeds, salmon. Cutting these items out including also I believe these changes help cure my insomnia. Now I have to deal with the weight gain that the medication caused. It's not that easy to lose even after I stopped the medication. I rejoice in the fact that my 13 years battling insomnia is pretty much over. I still have to be careful not to use my computer too late at night and try to get to bed earlier.Another thing that helped was also using Epson salt baths which I do about once a week. When I told my doctor that I was using beef gelatin which health my sleep, he said beef gelatin is the most natural thing I can take. And if it is working to help me sleep to continue to take it. I was very concerned about the beef gelatin intake because I have not eaten beef for over 20 years and was afraid of any type of side effects. But his reassurance is what I needed to continue with this route. If anybody have any ideas for weight loss it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is great! Congrats! Have you done any temperature/pulse testing to determine if you have a thyroid issue? The reason I ask is because being hypothyroid usually results in excess body fat/slower metabolism. I'm sure you will read many accounts of the fact that usually only TSH is tested by docs (unless you request more tests). Other important tests a doctor will usually agree to if you ask for it are total t3 and total thyroxine. And then if the doctor does agree that you have a thyroid issue she will probably prescribe levothyroxine, which is synthetic t4. Assuming your liver is not the best, that t4 will not convert to t3 (which is the usable version of thyroid). Idealabs makes a t3 only supplement, as well as a t4 and t3 combo. You can test this in your lab if you determine that your temps are low in the AM, still low throughout the day, and go down right after meals (showing that higher temps right before meals are actually the result of raised adrenaline.) There is a lot more information on this. See this link: The Barnes Basal Body Temperature Test:

OP
I

ilpmusic

This is great! Congrats! Have you done any temperature/pulse testing to determine if you have a thyroid issue? The reason I ask is because being hypothyroid usually results in excess body fat/slower metabolism. I'm sure you will read many accounts of the fact that usually only TSH is tested by docs (unless you request more tests). Other important tests a doctor will usually agree to if you ask for it are total t3 and total thyroxine. And then if the doctor does agree that you have a thyroid issue she will probably prescribe levothyroxine, which is synthetic t4. Assuming your liver is not the best, that t4 will not convert to t3 (which is the usable version of thyroid). Idealabs makes a t3 only supplement, as well as a t4 and t3 combo. You can test this in your lab if you determine that your temps are low in the AM, still low throughout the day, and go down right after meals (showing that higher temps right before meals are actually the result of raised adrenaline.) There is a lot more information on this. See this link: The Barnes Basal Body Temperature Test:
I guess because my blood work at my physicals were always excellent and stellar levels. I never thought I could possibly have a thyroid issue. But I will try to do your recommendation with the link. Also Rozerem played a huge factor in the weight gain and can take a few more month to get out of my system. I was on it for over 8 years! Would levothroxine be safe since it is synthetic?

OP
I

ilpmusic

I should try gelatin then! Are you first making it into jello form before using it?
no I do not make it into jello. I put it in hot chamomile or sleepy time tea or warm milk, nutmeg and honey.
I also put gelatin in soups, tomato sauce, deserts .

OP
I

ilpmusic

I am afraid to add coconut oil because it is a fat and i am trying to loss fat. I have read Ray's story about when pigs were fed coconut oil, they became lean. How do I add it to my diet without using too much to gain weight?

alywest

I guess because my blood work at my physicals were always excellent and stellar levels. I never thought I could possibly have a thyroid issue. But I will try to do your recommendation with the link. Also Rozerem played a huge factor in the weight gain and can take a few more month to get out of my system. I was on it for over 8 years! Would levothroxine be safe since it is synthetic?

Knowing what I do now, I would never take t4 alone. If you feel better about synthetic over natural thyroid, you could ask your doc to write a script for cytomel (t3), and on the script she'd actually have to write "do not sub for generic" or something along those lines. I had a naturopath who did that, but I had to stop going to him because he wanted me to keep paying out of pocket for continuous visits to keep it going even though I was doing well. It's fun being a thyroid patient. Anyway, if I had known about this whole Barnes/Peat thing all along I would have skipped a lot of the madness. But it's still tricky. Peat thinks you should always take t4 along with t3 in at least a 2:1 ratio I believe. I don't really understand why it's important to take t4 at all if t3 is what your body uses. I'm also a woman in my late 30's and most certainly have a challenged liver. If your temps fit in the guidelines on the website I gave you, you probably don't have thyroid issues. However, your success with gelatin and all the foods you have embraced reveal a metabolic issue that was resolved. Using an incandescent heat bulb pointed at your thyroid and your thymus might be enough for you to recuperate any thyroid damage since you seem to be doing so much better from diet alone. For goodness sakes, do not start any strenuous exercise regimes:
Can Endurance Sports Really Cause Harm? (May 2015) Townsend Letter, Alternative Medicine Magazine

OP
I

ilpmusic

Knowing what I do now, I would never take t4 alone. If you feel better about synthetic over natural thyroid, you could ask your doc to write a script for cytomel (t3), and on the script she'd actually have to write "do not sub for generic" or something along those lines. I had a naturopath who did that, but I had to stop going to him because he wanted me to keep paying out of pocket for continuous visits to keep it going even though I was doing well. It's fun being a thyroid patient. Anyway, if I had known about this whole Barnes/Peat thing all along I would have skipped a lot of the madness. But it's still tricky. Peat thinks you should always take t4 along with t3 in at least a 2:1 ratio I believe. I don't really understand why it's important to take t4 at all if t3 is what your body uses. I'm also a woman in my late 30's and most certainly have a challenged liver. If your temps fit in the guidelines on the website I gave you, you probably don't have thyroid issues. However, your success with gelatin and all the foods you have embraced reveal a metabolic issue that was resolved. Using an incandescent heat bulb pointed at your thyroid and your thymus might be enough for you to recuperate any thyroid damage since you seem to be doing so much better from diet alone. For goodness sakes, do not start any strenuous exercise regimes:
Can Endurance Sports Really Cause Harm? (May 2015) Townsend Letter, Alternative Medicine Magazine
thank you for your help. Yes naturopath unfortunately have that tendency; my friend's health is getting worse yet keeps going. I do plan to see my dr for female wellness exam and will ask for some tests. I plan to ask her for natural progestrone birth control but still not sure if that is healthy.

alywest

thank you for your help. Yes naturopath unfortunately have that tendency; my friend's health is getting worse yet keeps going. I do plan to see my dr for female wellness exam and will ask for some tests. I plan to ask her for natural progestrone birth control but still not sure if that is healthy.

Ohhhh.....ok. Yeah. Get natural progesterone, but not whatever birth control they are selling in the doctor's office. Progest-e, idealabs progestene but I recommend anything dissolved in Vitamin E as per Peat's research. For birth control try to stick with non-hormonal methods (ie. diaphragm. Or have your husband get a vasectomy. That would be better than you taking synthetic progestins.) At least as far as I know, "natural progesterones" in the medical world mean "synthetic progestins that are just like natural progesterone, aka bioidentical" which is a straight up lie but sounds all natural with the "bio" prefix. Actual natural progesterone can be purchased without a prescription and the only way a progesterone makes it into a pharmaceutical lab is when it is altered in some way. there are ways to use the actual natural progesterone that is purchased OTC (of course it's never sold in a drugstore, though) as birth control but I've never done it. I know Peat talks about it. If you have a link to the type of birth control you were considering i'd be happy to look at it.
Also, @lisaferraro @tara or any other woman on this website want to chime in on this? I'm certainly not an expert.

alywest

Here is really excellent post from @aguilaroja:

First, the topic is delicate, so the expression here is cautious. To be clear, NO form of contraception is 100% effective. The possibility of conception exists with intercourse, and participants should keep that in mind even if probabilities "seem" small. There are lots of views about birth control, intercourse, and conception. Only anecdotal methodology is discussed here.

For background, though progesterone is named to be "pro" "gestational", progesterone would seem to have a role in preventing further conceiving after one implantation. That is, women who have intimate relations during pregnancy do not have overlapping pregnancies.

I do not have experience with huge oral/transdermal uses of progesterone for contraception. IMNHE, huge amounts of progesterone are not frequently needed a main metabolic support. As Lanthir mentioned, using huge doses of progesterone for birth control beyond supportive amounts might bring impairing sedation/sleepiness/anesthesia among other concerns.

The idea, as Blossom mentioned and Dr. Peat described, is applying Progest-E gently through the vagina to the cervix region. It has been a while since this maneuver-my recollection is the volume of drops is 3 to 6 drops. As mentioned in some posts, some batches of Progest-E have a thicker consistency than others. When necessary, a small bit of coconut oil was used to help Progest-E spread across the target area.

The application was done shortly before intercourse (less than a few hours, not necessarily just before). In serious comedy, I recall that one application was used per evening session, but the number of performances was in the single digits...

Though, as with any topical application, there is the possibility of systemic effects, no side effects like sedation, accelerated metabolism, or other things were noticed. Occasional use of Progest-E in this way did not seem to alter the pattern of individual menstrual cycles.

The general approach was discussed with Dr. Peat, though I do not recall asking about barrier methods in combination. All couples, sharing the concern of additive effectiveness, used Progest-E plus a barrier method (condom or diaphragm). Keep in mind that the sample size here is quite small: less than two dozen couples besides myself and partner. With some humor, I'll say that I have no data about the total number of sessions each couples used the application.

There were no unwanted pregnancies with this combined Progest-E/barrier method. Of the several couples who later wished to conceive, all successfully had healthy babies (and uneventful pregnancy and delivery) after discontinuing contraception.

Again, the sample size was small so not necessarily representative, and all those involved understood the responsibilities if conception took place. Even beyond the usual forum disclaimer, this is NOT medical advice and is for discussion purposes only.

OP
I

ilpmusic

Ohhhh.....ok. Yeah. Get natural progesterone, but not whatever birth control they are selling in the doctor's office. Progest-e, idealabs progestene but I recommend anything dissolved in Vitamin E as per Peat's research. For birth control try to stick with non-hormonal methods (ie. diaphragm. Or have your husband get a vasectomy. That would be better than you taking synthetic progestins.) At least as far as I know, "natural progesterones" in the medical world mean "synthetic progestins that are just like natural progesterone, aka bioidentical" which is a straight up lie but sounds all natural with the "bio" prefix. Actual natural progesterone can be purchased without a prescription and the only way a progesterone makes it into a pharmaceutical lab is when it is altered in some way. there are ways to use the actual natural progesterone that is purchased OTC (of course it's never sold in a drugstore, though) as birth control but I've never done it. I know Peat talks about it. If you have a link to the type of birth control you were considering i'd be happy to look at it.
Also, @lisaferraro @tara or any other woman on this website want to chime in on this? I'm certainly not an expert.
thanks all the input the better. I will see my dr soon to discuss birth control; (I am getting married)

burtlancast

What brand of blue blocking glasses do you recommend or what features should I look for? I see various types on eBay

I've ordered these ones:
Uvex Skyper Blue Light Blocking Computer Glasses from Amazon and they do the job perfectly for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals