Help Digesting Gelatin

JamesGatz

Hello All and Happy 4th of July!

I have been peating for about 3 years now and these have been the 3 happiest and healthiest years in my life thus far, however, one thing I seem to be at odds with is gelatin.

I eat gelatin every day in the form of 1 bag of Haribo Goldbears (sour) (16g gelatin). I start to crave it going one day without it and feel that it fills a large piece of a missing puzzle for me - my mood is x100 better and it seems to have completely gotten rid of any greying hair for me and reversed the grey hair on my dog's snout as well.

What concerns me is some of the ingredients listed in the bag (Citric acid, Dextrose, Yellow 5, maybe MSG hidden in the "Artificial and Natural Flavors" listed) and this would not bother as much if I consumed it rarely, but the fact that I can't go a day without it makes me more conscious about getting a cleaner supply of gelatin.

I have tried a few other forms of gelatin such as:
1- Great Lakes Gelatin (mixed with milk or mexican coke or coffee or fresh OJ) - GL feels great for a few minutes, but then gives me massive headaches even if I take small doses and insomnia - this also gives me a gut serotonin mess that I believe may be related to feeding endotoxin. Even if I consume carrot salad after to ease this digestive upset, it seems to be really hard for me to tolerate

2- Glycine (supplement) - Glycine alone makes me feel a little better, but nowhere near as great as gelatin - I feel like something's missing if I consume glycine alone it does not feel right to me

3- Gummy bears (alternative brands) - I have tried many other brands of gummy bears with seemingly cleaner ingredients (Black Forest for example), but I once again don't seem to tolerate it anywhere near as well as Haribo. My digestion does not seem to tolerate other brands that well which is odd to me given that the ingredient list looks a lot better, but I listen to my body.

I am hoping someone a lot wiser that has gone down this road before can help:

Is the devil in the dosage or is there alternative methods of preparation/forms of gelatin that seem to have helped anyone overcome this issue?

I find it hard to believe that it's the dosage given that I can go through a bag of haribo bears (16g gelatin) with no problem and can't tolerate even one tablespoon of GL powder (6g). I have seen a few threads of people specifying to dissolve the powder correctly or that some forms of gelatin powder tend to be more unfavorably balanced in amino acids that give me these symptoms in large doses, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting my finger on it. If anyone has any success stories in specific brands or cuts of meat or methods of preparation, I would be very much interested in what you have to say

Given that it's a huge part of my way of eating I want to perform a lot of experimentation with success stories of people on this forum.

Thank you!

Happy 4th to you! To your gummies point, Ditch crappy Haribo, I even dumped the Black Forest not realizing there was so much starch in them. The powdered gelatin is high in histamines and hard to digest for a lot of people. I find it best to hide in food like meatloaf, soups, even in milk with sugar and salt, or I eat a spoonful of honey to go in first and coat the way and then drink the milk with a tablespoon of gelatin in it. Otherwise store bought bone broths, or homemade might be a better option. I make a big batch of gelatinous oxtail broth and eat it cold with a little salt, SO good!

mostlylurking

Hello All and Happy 4th of July!

I have been peating for about 3 years now and these have been the 3 happiest and healthiest years in my life thus far, however, one thing I seem to be at odds with is gelatin.

I eat gelatin every day in the form of 1 bag of Haribo Goldbears (sour) (16g gelatin). I start to crave it going one day without it and feel that it fills a large piece of a missing puzzle for me - my mood is x100 better and it seems to have completely gotten rid of any greying hair for me and reversed the grey hair on my dog's snout as well.

What concerns me is some of the ingredients listed in the bag (Citric acid, Dextrose, Yellow 5, maybe MSG hidden in the "Artificial and Natural Flavors" listed) and this would not bother as much if I consumed it rarely, but the fact that I can't go a day without it makes me more conscious about getting a cleaner supply of gelatin.

I have tried a few other forms of gelatin such as:
1- Great Lakes Gelatin (mixed with milk or mexican coke or coffee or fresh OJ) - GL feels great for a few minutes, but then gives me massive headaches even if I take small doses and insomnia - this also gives me a gut serotonin mess that I believe may be related to feeding endotoxin. Even if I consume carrot salad after to ease this digestive upset, it seems to be really hard for me to tolerate

2- Glycine (supplement) - Glycine alone makes me feel a little better, but nowhere near as great as gelatin - I feel like something's missing if I consume glycine alone it does not feel right to me

3- Gummy bears (alternative brands) - I have tried many other brands of gummy bears with seemingly cleaner ingredients (Black Forest for example), but I once again don't seem to tolerate it anywhere near as well as Haribo. My digestion does not seem to tolerate other brands that well which is odd to me given that the ingredient list looks a lot better, but I listen to my body.

I am hoping someone a lot wiser that has gone down this road before can help:

Is the devil in the dosage or is there alternative methods of preparation/forms of gelatin that seem to have helped anyone overcome this issue?

I find it hard to believe that it's the dosage given that I can go through a bag of haribo bears (16g gelatin) with no problem and can't tolerate even one tablespoon of GL powder (6g). I have seen a few threads of people specifying to dissolve the powder correctly or that some forms of gelatin powder tend to be more unfavorably balanced in amino acids that give me these symptoms in large doses, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting my finger on it. If anyone has any success stories in specific brands or cuts of meat or methods of preparation, I would be very much interested in what you have to say

Given that it's a huge part of my way of eating I want to perform a lot of experimentation with success stories of people on this forum.

Thank you!
I think Great Lakes is a good product and have never had issues with it. Are you using the red can or the green can? If the red can, it needs to be cooked a little bit and will cause problems if you try to consume it without cooking it. The green can (hydrolized gelatin) can just be put into anything, no cooking required. I'm eating about four servings (rounded 1/8th cup) of the green can gelatin daily with no issues. I put it in milk with some maple syrup. 1/8th cup of the green can equals to 11 grams of protein.

I agree, the commercial gummies are pretty nasty with all their additives and questionable starch. "Gummie" does not necessarily equal "gelatin".

IvorMetTim

I think Great Lakes is a good product and have never had issues with it. Are you using the red can or the green can? If the red can, it needs to be cooked a little bit and will cause problems if you try to consume it without cooking it. The green can (hydrolized gelatin) can just be put into anything, no cooking required. I'm eating about four servings (rounded 1/8th cup) of the green can gelatin daily with no issues. I put it in milk with some maple syrup. 1/8th cup of the green can equals to 11 grams of protein.

I agree, the commercial gummies are pretty nasty with all their additives and questionable starch. "Gummie" does not necessarily equal "gelatin".
I have to maintain zero starch. I use the red Great Lakes. I would prefer the ease of the Green can but I don't know if 'hydrolized' stuff is ok?

mostlylurking

I have to maintain zero starch. I use the red Great Lakes. I would prefer the ease of the Green can but I don't know if 'hydrolized' stuff is ok?
"Hydrolyzed" means the amino acids are partially broken down which makes it easier to digest. There's no starch in it.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Intrigued by this post, I looked at the ‘single star’ comments on all hydrolized gelatin products on Amazon.

It seemed that there was a shift in ownership and/or quality in most products, which is really strange. Did the COVID lockdown cause that somehow? None of these products seemed to be without issues.

Then another interesting thing was that there were reports of increased anxiety with the hydrolyzed gelatin products and some reports of skin rashes and digestive problems (bloating).

Intrigued by this post, I looked at the ‘single star’ comments on all hydrolized gelatin products on Amazon.

It seemed that there was a shift in ownership and/or quality in most products, which is really strange. Did the COVID lockdown cause that somehow? None of these products seemed to be without issues.

Then another interesting thing was that there were reports of increased anxiety with the hydrolyzed gelatin products and some reports of skin rashes and digestive problems (bloating).
Interesting you would say that Stephan cause that just reminded me that last year their packaging changed too? ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210705-131622_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210705-131622_Samsung Internet.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210705-131641_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210705-131641_Samsung Internet.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 23

Surfari

In the past I've tried Great Lakes (red and green can) and Knox. All of them made me nauseous.

But currently I'm using NOW brand beef gelatin, it says that you can use it cold, but I always let it 'bloom' in cold liquid (for me I like coffee or milk), add a lot of sugar, then heat it up on a low temperature just to dissolve the gelatin and sugar, and let it set up in the refrigerator. I've been doing this for 4 or 5 months and haven't had any problems.

I started small with 1 tbl of gelatin, 1 and 1/2 cups liquid and 1/2 cup sugar. Now I'm up to 2 to 3 tbls gelatin. This is more of a jello or pudding consistency.
Good Luck!

IvorMetTim

"Hydrolyzed" means the amino acids are partially broken down which makes it easier to digest. There's no starch in it.
Yes, sorry I didn't make my point clearly.
I meant I dont eat Haribo etc (many things contain starch).
On a seperate point, I have no clue if 'hydrolized' is ok for the body. Seems like you have no worries about it?

mostlylurking

Yes, sorry I didn't make my point clearly.
I meant I dont eat Haribo etc (many things contain starch).
On a seperate point, I have no clue if 'hydrolized' is ok for the body. Seems like you have no worries about it?
Ray Peat talked about it in an interview. I tried to find it but failed. I remember he said hydrolyzed gelatin was very easy to digest and he thought most everyone should be able to tolerate it with no problem. But now I can't find the interview. I think it was on the Herb Doctors show.

I did find this one:

View: https://youtu.be/pZ0VhOU9wQ8?t=5305

The hydrolyzed gelatin has been a major source for protein in my diet for over six years. I haven't had any issues from it. I have a long history of multiple food sensitivities, SIBO, many food allergies, and leaky gut. I think the hydrolyzed gelatin is good stuff; I don't have the gut problems that I used to have.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Happy 4th to you! To your gummies point, Ditch crappy Haribo, I even dumped the Black Forest not realizing there was so much starch in them. The powdered gelatin is high in histamines and hard to digest for a lot of people. I find it best to hide in food like meatloaf, soups, even in milk with sugar and salt, or I eat a spoonful of honey to go in first and coat the way and then drink the milk with a tablespoon of gelatin in it. Otherwise store bought bone broths, or homemade might be a better option. I make a big batch of gelatinous oxtail broth and eat it cold with a little salt, SO good!
Thank you! I have been avoiding the path of making my own broth at home due to the time commitment, but probably will resort to making larger quantities per batch if it works well

I have been using the green can. I had heard there were issues with the red can which is why I had been using the green, but it's just a mess on my body to tolerate - no idea why I react to that powder that bad

This is interesting. Wouldn't be surprised as formulas tend to always change as a brand continues to grow - seems to be an inevitable path it takes

In the past I've tried Great Lakes (red and green can) and Knox. All of them made me nauseous.

But currently I'm using NOW brand beef gelatin, it says that you can use it cold, but I always let it 'bloom' in cold liquid (for me I like coffee or milk), add a lot of sugar, then heat it up on a low temperature just to dissolve the gelatin and sugar, and let it set up in the refrigerator. I've been doing this for 4 or 5 months and haven't had any problems.

I started small with 1 tbl of gelatin, 1 and 1/2 cups liquid and 1/2 cup sugar. Now I'm up to 2 to 3 tbls gelatin. This is more of a jello or pudding consistency.
Good Luck!
This helps a lot thank you! Just ordered it and will try it using that method as a slow introduction

mostlylurking

I have been using the green can. I had heard there were issues with the red can which is why I had been using the green, but it's just a mess on my body to tolerate - no idea why I react to that powder that bad
Sorry you're having problems with it. I have been faithful in buying Great Lakes products for years because they were sourcing all of their raw materials from Argentina. I envisioned miles of glyphosate free Fukushima fallout free pristine grassland. Since you mentioned your difficulty I checked on their website and they've changed their sourcing to say:

"Great Lakes Gelatin’s collagen and beef gelatin products are sourced from cattle raised in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, and the United States. The cattle were born and pasture-raised on rural properties, where they were grass-fed and continually subject to veterinary supervision."

Sob. I've read recently that glyphosate can be a contamination issue for gelatin. Hosing pastures down with Round-up seems to be very popular in the U.S. It results in beautiful weed free pastures.

I just emailed the company and asked if they test for glyphosate contamination. I'll post their reply if I get one.

uglehpug

How well can you tolerate cabbage or its juice? I know they have glycine naturally so I think that worths a try.

Missenger

Amazon has been 'borrowing' people's products and had resellers 're-selling' them with the same name but a different product for several years, it could possibly have something to do with that.

For gelatin, what works for me is to put about 3 oz of water in a small bowl, and then I'll slowly sprinkle a tablespoon or two of gelatin into the water. It'll slowly make the water thicker and 'bloom'. After that, I'll pour that gelatin-water mixture in my mug that already has some instant coffee and sugar inside, and pour the hot water in for the rest of my drink. I find the coffee masks the taste of the gelatin. as well Turmeric tea or some kind of chicken bouillon. With this, I don't notice the taste and am able to digest it fine.

meatbag

Amazon has been 'borrowing' people's products and had resellers 're-selling' them with the same name but a different product for several years, it could possibly have something to do with that.
I've been hearing this more and more, also other bigger companies

IvorMetTim

Ray Peat talked about it in an interview. I tried to find it but failed. I remember he said hydrolyzed gelatin was very easy to digest and he thought most everyone should be able to tolerate it with no problem. But now I can't find the interview. I think it was on the Herb Doctors show.

I did find this one:

View: https://youtu.be/pZ0VhOU9wQ8?t=5305

The hydrolyzed gelatin has been a major source for protein in my diet for over six years. I haven't had any issues from it. I have a long history of multiple food sensitivities, SIBO, many food allergies, and leaky gut. I think the hydrolyzed gelatin is good stuff; I don't have the gut problems that I used to have.

I am now healing from a long history of multiple food sensitivities, SIBO, many food allergies, and leaky gut. Thanks so much for the info.

L

Lord Cola

With Great Lakes gelatin, it works best for me when I soak it in cool water for a few minutes, then heat it until it is completely dissolved. You will be able to tell when it is soaked enough because it will plump up and turn transparent. The porcine gelatin was hard to digest, and bovine gelatin was easier to digest. I have not tried regularly eating Great Lakes products recently though and there might have been changes in quality as the others mention.

The safest way to eat gelatin regularly would be to process it yourself from oxtail, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals