*Why* Does Gelatin And Collagen Give Me A Headache And Insomnia?

I took 10g of hydrolyzed collagen dissolved in a cup of home made yogurt...long story short it gives me a very bad reaction, muscles spasm, anxiety, insomnia and headache.
Anyone with advisea on how to stops the endotoxin reaction in time? I need to sleep and I'm feeling under amphetamine right now -.-

Thats a lot.

You may get some relief from lysine, taurine, magnesium.

I backed away from gelatin and switched to glycine after I had my first shingles breakout at the age of 30 ( and last one too, knock on wood). I was eating gelatin with every meal, likely overdid it, but nonetheless that is when I realized I should be careful getting extra arginine.

MoonDay

Kind of off topic but after reading benefits bone broths i was very excited to making it but i'm kind of skeptical of these bones they claim that grass fed, organic etc.. I read that all organic farms feed the cows with grains right before killing them in order to fatten them up faster. So all bones are questionable in North America. Maybe somewhere very remote in Asia would have real grass fed bones with all the benefits.

sladerunner69

Thats a lot.

You may get some relief from lysine, taurine, magnesium.

I backed away from gelatin and switched to glycine after I had my first shingles breakout at the age of 30 ( and last one too, knock on wood). I was eating gelatin with every meal, likely overdid it, but nonetheless that is when I realized I should be careful getting extra arginine.

So you believe gelatin consumption gave you shingles?

So you believe gelatin consumption gave you shingles?

The months leading to it I was feeling at the top of my health, not feeling sick or stressed, then suddenly I came down with shingles. I was consuming two tablespoons of gelatin a day - which I had been doing for close to a year, so yea that would be my guess.

sladerunner69

The months leading to it I was feeling at the top of my health, not feeling sick or stressed, then suddenly I came down with shingles. I was consuming two tablespoons of gelatin a day - which I had been doing for close to a year, so yea that would be my guess.

At just two tablespoons per day? That isn't very much, and you were doing it for a full year prior? I don't know that doesn't seem like strong evidence for a cause effect relationship to me, without an explanation as to why gelatin could cause such problems. Does it have some sort of effect on the nervous system?

@sladerunner69 My guess is that the extra 2 grams of arginine daily added up, not to mention I was usually consuming it with coffee in between meals.. so there was definitely a lack of lysine floating around to counter it.

sladerunner69

@sladerunner69 My guess is that the extra 2 grams of arginine daily added up, not to mention I was usually consuming it with coffee in between meals.. so there was definitely a lack of lysine floating around to counter it.

So you are saying that the culprit was nitric oxide as a result of arginine in gelatin? And what does coffee have to do with anything? Coffee is supposed to decrease N O by the way

So you are saying that the culprit was nitric oxide as a result of arginine in gelatin? And what does coffee have to do with anything? Coffee is supposed to decrease N O by the way
I don't think it was NO related. Arginine feeds viruses. I was consuming gelatin, without any other protein source. Arginine without equal lysine tends to give people herpes outbreaks.

When I was several days in to painful shingles I stopped all gelatin and started taking lysine and I am certain that it was helpful.

sladerunner69

I don't think it was NO related. Arginine feeds viruses. I was consuming gelatin, without any other protein source. Arginine without equal lysine tends to give people herpes outbreaks.

When I was several days in to painful shingles I stopped all gelatin and started taking lysine and I am certain that it was helpful.

I see, thanks for the clarity. I hadn't realized that shingles was viral or related to chickenpox. I thought it was something more similar to neuropathy.

Repas du soir

I've started to just pour the gelatin in my mouth and wash it down with water. I don't like how it changes the texture of my coffee if I use too much.

Repas du soir

Someone should make a list on what amino acids are sensitive to heat, if they can find any information on that. I only know that taurine is heat sensitive, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of other aminos also are heat sensitive.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals