Help Digesting Gelatin

Missenger

I've been hearing this more and more, also other bigger companies
I've bought a couple of different products (not the gelatin) with different material from the main websites and have heard the same complaint from several 'anons', I just don't get why people don't speak up more about this sort of thing if it isn't a legitimate concern. I just don't see enough discussion from 'businessmen'.

Sefton10

Then another interesting thing was that there were reports of increased anxiety with the hydrolyzed gelatin products and some reports of skin rashes and digestive problems (bloating).
Some people need to be careful with the very high Arginine content relative to Lysine in gelatin if they have any history of shingles too.

The safest way to eat gelatin regularly would be to process it yourself from oxtail, etc.
As with most supplements now, I think this is ultimately the best idea.

mostlylurking

I am now healing from a long history of multiple food sensitivities, SIBO, many food allergies, and leaky gut. Thanks so much for the info.
The things that has helped me the most are thiamine and magnesium. I'm taking high dose thiamine hcl. It healed my gut.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Another source is Swanson Vitamins, they have their customers rate their products. They carry a variety of brands.

The also have: “Zint- Organic Gelatinized Maca Powder”.

Does anybody know what ‘gelatinized’ means, does it contain gelatin but from a plant source?

IvorMetTim

The things that has helped me the most are thiamine and magnesium. I'm taking high dose thiamine hcl. It healed my gut.
I have been using high dose thiamine on and off over the last 2 years but with months going by in between use. I recently read somewhere of it's benefit and ordered some more (should arrive in about a week) I aim to take it every day this time. I will also try magnesium.

Hgreen56

iu

you can drink it straight out of the package.

fr@

What's the dose you're taking for Thiamine HCL as well as Magnesium (and what form)?
'Cause I've been nosing on B1 lately and wondering its actual benefits and also its long term use.

In regards to the Original Post (@JamesGatz) , I'm actually a bit scared of trying Gelatin then saw I this thread.
'Cause I bought a tub of Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin, and its powder just became solid after trying out different ways of preparing it for consumption.
The most safest looking outcome I saw was the Beef Gelatin looking like a Translucent Gummy Bear, but still my 'knee-jerk' reaction was not to consume any of it.
'Cause I've also seen some reviews on Gelatin powders and had been seeing the same complaints like: indigestion, bloating, and similar issues.
So probably that makes sense.

So I haven't consumed any Beef Gelatin as of yet and would probably try Beef Collagen (hydrolyzed).
But it's way more expensive, so why not take Glycine instead?
And up until now, I'm still undecided on whether Glycine by itself would be problematic.
'Cause I've tried Glycine sometime ago, but it only gives me this 'whoozy' feeling (like a bit dizzy and some occasional headaches).
Maybe taking it with food cancels out any unwanted effects?

As with doing Bone Broths, would the consumption of Heavy Metals (if there are) going to be an issue?

mostlylurking

I have been using high dose thiamine on and off over the last 2 years but with months going by in between use. I recently read somewhere of it's benefit and ordered some more (should arrive in about a week) I aim to take it every day this time. I will also try magnesium.
Good plan.

fr@

Can you confirm this or is it not that easy?
you have probably more experience than I am.
Just a response to your message, I've only tried it a couple of times.
'Cause I find it tedious, basically I prepare it an advance for the entire week.
And make sure that I have prepped clean containers to put the bone broth in.

From my experience (years ago), cooking it in an 'Insta Pot' for at least 24hrs gives you this gelatinous looking soup.
While cooking it for only a few hours would only give you this usual soup like consistency, to which I don't know if it has significant benefits yet.
Maybe it also depends on the cookware/method being used, which I don't have an idea as of the moment.

But overall I don't find it convenient, since I have to prepare it in advance.
Especially the part where I get to make sure that the butcher I'm visiting has these beef bones for sale.
Back then when I was doing it, mostly it's just chicken bones since it can fit easily in my Insta Pot.

Now I'm back with just taking Glycine recently and taking it 'with' the meals.
And so far I'm not getting any unwanted issues.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Wanted to place this here as a resolution for anyone having trouble taking in gelatin from powder:

NOW Foods Beef Gelatin Powder by recommendation from Surfari by far works the best for me combined with pineapple juice - Pineapple juice turns it into this thick goo-substance that is REALLY easy for me to digest - with any other liquid (coffee, lemonade, OJ) and it feels more slushy or turns rock-hard depending on amount of liquid. I'm not sure if this is due to the bromelain in the pineapple, but the combination wiith powder and pineapple juice seems to break it down really well and I'm not suffering from slight histamine reactions like before - Would definitely recommend it.

Wanted to place this here as a resolution for anyone having trouble taking in gelatin from powder:

NOW Foods Beef Gelatin Powder by recommendation from Surfari by far works the best for me combined with pineapple juice - Pineapple juice turns it into this thick goo-substance that is REALLY easy for me to digest - with any other liquid (coffee, lemonade, OJ) and it feels more slushy or turns rock-hard depending on amount of liquid. I'm not sure if this is due to the bromelain in the pineapple, but the combination wiith powder and pineapple juice seems to break it down really well and I'm not suffering from slight histamine reactions like before - Would definitely recommend it.

Wow that is really good to know James! I am gonna have to try that today! Are you using the gelatin that you make jello with or the hydrolysate?

mmartian

@JamesGatz Does it give you the same feeling of wellbeing that the Haribo gummy bears give you?

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Wow that is really good to know James! I am gonna have to try that today! Are you using the gelatin that you make jello with or the hydrolysate?
I am using the beef gelatin (jello). the hydroslate (green can) from Great Lakes sends my digestive system into a nightmare that nothing can tame - the orange can (jello) from GL seems a lot more bearable for me than the green can, but I still prefer NOW foods version. I emailed NOW for a lab analysis and they gave me a very length explanation run-aruond excuse for why they have no lab certs for any of their products - this is a little concerning to me.

@JamesGatz Does it give you the same feeling of wellbeing that the Haribo gummy bears give you?
What I like about haribo bears is that I get no histamine/endotoxin reactions. I can safely eat a whole bag and maybe get slight discomfort but nothing compared to gelatin powders.

NOW gelatin gives me the same well-being feeling that haribo does, however, as with any gelatin powder I have tried - I cannot tolerate any of the higher doses without running into histamine/endotoxin issues.

I had initially thought it was a sourcing issue - that haribo bears are mainly very well tolerated because their gelatin sources are a lot cleaner, BUT after a lot more experimentation with gelatin powder, the same powder in different scenarios seems to be very well tolerated if I make it less clumpy. For NOW gelatin powder - if I down it while it's slushy-like or rock-hard, I will still run into little bit of a digestive obstacle, but if I can get it into more of a binded form (pineapple juice turns it into this binded goo with a consistency similar to liquid honey - I don't seem to get the same endotoxic or histamine reaction.

I am starting to think that sourcing matters for gelatin powders, but how you dissolve the powder matters just as much in my experience.

I am using the beef gelatin (jello). the hydroslate (green can) from Great Lakes sends my digestive system into a nightmare that nothing can tame - the orange can (jello) from GL seems a lot more bearable for me than the green can, but I still prefer NOW foods version. I emailed NOW for a lab analysis and they gave me a very length explanation run-aruond excuse for why they have no lab certs for any of their products - this is a little concerning to me.

What I like about haribo bears is that I get no histamine/endotoxin reactions. I can safely eat a whole bag and maybe get slight discomfort but nothing compared to gelatin powders.

NOW gelatin gives me the same well-being feeling that haribo does, however, as with any gelatin powder I have tried - I cannot tolerate any of the higher doses without running into histamine/endotoxin issues.

I had initially thought it was a sourcing issue - that haribo bears are mainly very well tolerated because their gelatin sources are a lot cleaner, BUT after a lot more experimentation with gelatin powder, the same powder in different scenarios seems to be very well tolerated if I make it less clumpy. For NOW gelatin powder - if I down it while it's slushy-like or rock-hard, I will still run into little bit of a digestive obstacle, but if I can get it into more of a binded form (pineapple juice turns it into this binded goo with a consistency similar to liquid honey - I don't seem to get the same endotoxic or histamine reaction.

I am starting to think that sourcing matters for gelatin powders, but how you dissolve the powder matters just as much in my experience.
Thanks! I have Great Lakes, but I am curious to know what is up with the Now brand?

Interesting that it dissolved so quickly! I mixed 2 tablespoons of gelatin with a half cup of pineapple juice and a half cup of water and it dissolved instantly. It now makes me remember jello recipes always state not to use pineapple and now I can see why. Also pineapple is a good digestive so I can see where this combo would digest easier. Great idea James!

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Interesting that it dissolved so quickly! I mixed 2 tablespoons of gelatin with a half cup of pineapple juice and a half cup of water and it dissolved instantly. It now makes me remember jello recipes always state not to use pineapple and now I can see why. Also pineapple is a good digestive so I can see where this combo would digest easier. Great idea James!
Yep, I leave it in the fridge for a few hours after and it then turns into the consistency I'm describing - definitely going to continue to experiment with this

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals