Why are there so many people who are not able to raise their copper levels ?

Motif

What’s wrong with them?

People are eating liver , potatoes , take 9 mg of supplements over months and nothing raises copper.
I was reading this many times now.

Many get IV copper and it does nothing, so it is not even a digestion issue for many or some.

Me for example. I tried copper supplements for 6 weeks , 9 mg daily , no zinc and nothing happened. Still low levels.

Then eating liver 250 g twice a week for some time. Nothing. I was also taking vitamin A in that time.

Someone said manganese is needed.
Someone said vitamin c.
Another one said minerals are only absorbed in conjunction with sulphate.
B2?

Maybe somebody has an idea

IROM

aniciete

In my opinion, too many supplements. People can continue to recommend different supplement ratios which are “optimal”, but nothing will compare to getting everything from food.

K

Kayaker

I'm one of those people. My copper is low and iron is high despite lots of liver, shellfish, and chocolate, so I believe iron is causing my body to not absorb copper.

Nebula

Mineralization seems to mostly be an energy and not primarily a mineral intake issue. Many are calorie and so also t3 and NAD+ deficient. Why should the body put energy into retaining and depositing minerals when it doesn’t have enough energy to run the liver and other organs optimally?

Perry Staltic

I'm one of those people. My copper is low and iron is high despite lots of liver, shellfish, and chocolate, so I believe iron is causing my body to not absorb copper.

You're getting a lot of iron from liver and chocolate.

K

Kayaker

Mineralization seems to mostly be an energy and not primarily a mineral intake issue. Many are calorie and so also t3 and NAD+ deficient.
What about when iron is high and copper is low?
You're getting a lot of iron from liver and chocolate.
My erythrocytes have been gradually increasing since adolescence, even during times that I donated blood multiple times per year, and during some of those times I didn't eat any meat at all.

Liver indeed provides a lot of iron. I've been eating liver every few weeks and meat daily.

Chocolate is a different story. It has the non-heme form of iron, which is poorly absorbed from what I could understand.

I respond better to chocolate than any other food or supplement, so I assume the copper which I'm low in is much more beneficial than the poorly absorbed iron.

Apple

What’s wrong with them?

People are eating liver , potatoes , take 9 mg of supplements over months and nothing raises copper.

Many get IV copper and it does nothing, so it is not even a digestion issue for many or some.

Me for example. I tried copper supplements for 6 weeks , 9 mg daily , no zinc and nothing happened. Still low levels.

Then eating liver 250 g twice a week for some time. Nothing. I was also taking vitamin A in that time.

Someone said vitamin c.
B2?

I think it requires a hollistic approach... all minerals should be brought into balance
You sure you follow RP's recommendation on fructose ?

RP :
Fructose affects the body's ability to retain other nutrients, including magnesium, copper, calcium, and other minerals.
Comparing diets with 20% of the calories from fructose or from cornstarch, Holbrook, et al. (1989) concluded "The results indicate that dietary fructose enhances mineral balance."
Ordinarily, things (such as thyroid and vitamin D) improve the retention of magnesium and other nutrients.

Ditch supplements ... all you need is fructose

OP
M

Motif

I think it requires a hollistic approach... all minerals should be brought into balance
You sure you follow RP's recommendation on fructose ?

RP :
Fructose affects the body's ability to retain other nutrients, including magnesium, copper, calcium, and other minerals.
Comparing diets with 20% of the calories from fructose or from cornstarch, Holbrook, et al. (1989) concluded "The results indicate that dietary fructose enhances mineral balance."
Ordinarily, things (such as thyroid and vitamin D) improve the retention of magnesium and other nutrients.

Ditch supplements ... all you need is fructose

Fructose prefered in what Form and how much daily?

rayban

I take 200 UI with k2 mk7 75 μg in an EVOO base, is this supplement good? I don't want to take these absurdly high doses.

L_C

What’s wrong with them?

Someone said vitamin c.
B2?

These vitamins/minerals antagonize copper: A, B3, B5, B6, C, Fe, K, Zn. Too much of one depletes another one.

rayban

These vitamins/minerals antagonize copper: A, B3, B5, B6, C, Fe, K, Zn. Too much of one depletes another one.
Are vitamin bloodworks useful or its a waste of time?

can I order a test like this and get accurate results? and wasn't vitamin k not possible to be measured or something'

Also, why people don't test for the vitamin D active metabolite 1,25? the oh 25 alone is only showing the inactive one. It would be like testing only t4 but not t3.

OP
M

Motif

What tests are reliable ?

Serum or whole blood for zinc and copper ?

BigShoes

I don't have all of this figured out but:

I think a big part of it is actually due to the Zinc-to-Copper ratio - this is something that Ray Peat doesn't seem to discuss much.

As a general rule: zinc can block copper absorption (and vice versa). All of the foods that Ray Peat recommends for copper (oysters, beef liver, to a lesser extent dairy) are usually much higher in zinc than copper - so the ratios are still not ideal if the goal is to increase your copper.

Also, land animal meat (ruminants) is generally much higher in zinc and much lower in copper. Whereas, fish is usually higher in copper and lower in zinc.

Lots of meat consumption, without white fish consumption to balance it out (or mushrooms and some plant foods), can lead to high zinc and low copper.

Morley Robbins discusses this frequently, for what it's worth (I know he isn't too popular here). Frank Tufano also has a quite interesting introductory video on YT called "Understanding Zinc to Copper Ratio" (again, he's probably not too popular around here - but it could give you some further ideas to check out) - apologies, I cannot link the video due to being a new member to the forum.

K

Kayaker

I don't have all of this figured out but:

I think a big part of it is actually due to the Zinc-to-Copper ratio - this is something that Ray Peat doesn't seem to discuss much.

As a general rule: zinc can block copper absorption (and vice versa). All of the foods that Ray Peat recommends for copper (oysters, beef liver, to a lesser extent dairy) are usually much higher in zinc than copper - so the ratios are still not ideal if the goal is to increase your copper.

Also, land animal meat (ruminants) is generally much higher in zinc and much lower in copper. Whereas, fish is usually higher in copper and lower in zinc.

Lots of meat consumption, without white fish consumption to balance it out (or mushrooms and some plant foods), can lead to high zinc and low copper.

Morley Robbins discusses this frequently, for what it's worth (I know he isn't too popular here). Frank Tufano also has a quite interesting introductory video on YT called "Understanding Zinc to Copper Ratio" (again, he's probably not too popular around here - but it could give you some further ideas to check out) - apologies, I cannot link the video due to being a new member to the forum.
This is true in my experience. Both my serum and hair zinc-copper ratio is high. My ratio is 1.0 for serum.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals