Ascorbate And The Copper Hand-Off

InChristAlone

according to labdoor BulkSupplements has the best Vitamin C. It's probably GMO derived but as said before at the molecular level that probably doesnt matter anymore.

Still not sure why Ray is so anti C. these contaminants are pretty low

here are the contaminants as tested by labdoor
Bulk Supplements Vitamin C Review
less than 0.01 mcg of total arsenic per serving
less than 0.01 mcg of cadmium per serving.
less than 0.005 mcg of lead per serving.
less than 0.01 mcg of mercury per serving.
serving size used is 1 gram so numbers are equivalent to ppm
Thats weird according to the vitamin C group on facebook the bulk supplements isn't the best out there. But all the COA's just list a less than amount not the real amounts. I'd really like to see amounts for each batch.

Queequeg

Thats weird according to the vitamin C group on facebook the bulk supplements isn't the best out there. But all the COA's just list a less than amount not the real amounts. I'd really like to see amounts for each batch.
Labdoor supposedly runs there own test and that is what they are reporting.
I think Bulksupplements has a bad rap because their COA has higher reporting thresholds.

The labdoor results seem like they are more legit but agree it would be nice to get a real COA.

Last edited:

yerrag

according to labdoor BulkSupplements has the best Vitamin C. It's probably GMO derived but as said before at the molecular level that probably doesnt matter anymore.

Still not sure why Ray is so anti C. these contaminants are pretty low

here are the contaminants as tested by labdoor
Bulk Supplements Vitamin C Review
less than 0.01 mcg of total arsenic per serving
less than 0.01 mcg of cadmium per serving.
less than 0.005 mcg of lead per serving.
less than 0.01 mcg of mercury per serving.
serving size used is 1 gram so numbers are equivalent to ppm
Those are indeed very low. They've been hiding under plain sight all along!

yerrag

Great, keep us posted!

I spoke with the people at sales and marketing of DSM, the maker of Quali-C, of the regional base in Singapore about a week ago. It was a short exchange, in which no information that we need was given. They seem to want to qualify from me if there is a market for low-lead vitamin C, but that is a guess. Otherwise, why would they want to talk with me? They could not give me any specification for lead levels for their Quali-C product, only saying that that information is only provided to regulatory agencies such as FDA. Their reticence could only lead me to believe that Quali-C is just relying on using their non-China and GMO-free labeling to their advantage, addressing market concerns for China-sourced and GMO-associated vitamin C. Since the general market is not aware of lead concerns in vitamin C, I am inclined to believe Quali-C isn't bending backwards to provide very low lead levels in their product.

Unless they contact me again with an update and with positive information, I don't expect Quali-C to be worth paying extra for. You could get COA information from China-sourced vitamin C, but you can't get any lead contamination specs from Quali-C. It is odd. They're not being transparent with this, and I would be distrustful of their product.

Last edited:

yerrag

Sorry if I may have missed seeing this, but has anyone contacted Owen Fonorow at the Vit C Foundation? They use a non-China C. From what I recall, having done some digging before, theirs might be from the same source as DB/Quali-C.

Owen R. Fonorow Bio
The Vitamin C Foundation
I suppose I could ask him if they have specs for Quali-C pertaining to lead ppm. The Vitamin C Foundation would have more pull or influence.

Dave Clark

Has anybody checked with the Life Extension Foundation's vitamin c products, regarding purity? I haven't recently, but they used to promote their vitamin c as being pharmaceutical grade. They often tout their products as being pure, third party tested, etc.

InChristAlone

I spoke with the people at sales and marketing of DSM, the maker of Quali-C, of the regional base in Singapore about a week ago. It was a short exchange, in which no information that we need was given. They seem to want to qualify from me if there is a market for low-lead vitamin C, but that is a guess. Otherwise, why would they want to talk with me? They could not give me any specification for lead levels for their Quali-C product, only saying that that information is only provided to regulatory agencies such as FDA. Their reticence could only lead me to believe that Quali-C is just relying on using their non-China and GMO-free labeling to their advantage, addressing market concerns for China-sourced and GMO-associated vitamin C. Since the general market is not aware of lead concerns in vitamin C, I am inclined to believe Quali-C isn't bending backwards to provide very low lead levels in their product.

Unless they contact me again with an update and with positive information, I don't expect Quali-C to be worth paying extra for. You could get COA information from China-sourced vitamin C, but you can't get any lead contamination specs from Quali-C. It is odd. They're not being transparent with this, and I would be distrustful of their product.
That is very disappointing. I thought that being non-china they would want to report it being less contaminated, but not being transparent about that is not good.

Queequeg

labdoor tested Dr Bests which is basically Quali-C afaik.
they came in second in overall quality
"This product recorded less than 0.012 mcg of total arsenic per serving. Using the assumption that inorganic arsenic comprises 80% of total arsenic, 1g of this product would fall below Labdoor's standards for inorganic arsenic content.

This product recorded less than 0.012 mcg of cadmium per serving.

This product recorded less than 0.006 mcg of lead per serving.

This product recorded less than 0.012 mcg of mercury per serving."
Doctor's Best Vitamin C Review

again these numbers are ppm equivalent
so for lead .006 ppm or 6 ppb is extremely low. BulkSupplements was 5 ppb.

I think an independent test is far more reliable than any COA from the manufacturer.

InChristAlone

labdoor tested Dr Bests which is basically Quali-C afaik.
they came in second in overall quality
"This product recorded less than 0.012 mcg of total arsenic per serving. Using the assumption that inorganic arsenic comprises 80% of total arsenic, 1g of this product would fall below Labdoor's standards for inorganic arsenic content.

This product recorded less than 0.012 mcg of cadmium per serving.

This product recorded less than 0.006 mcg of lead per serving.

This product recorded less than 0.012 mcg of mercury per serving."
Doctor's Best Vitamin C Review

again these numbers are ppm equivalent
so for lead .006 ppm or 6 ppb is extremely low. BulkSupplements was 5 ppb.

I think an independent test is far more reliable than any COA from the manufacturer.
If that is true that Drs best is Quali-C why wouldn't they want to be transparent about such low contamination?

Queequeg

If that is true that Drs best is Quali-C why wouldn't they want to be transparent about such low contamination?
Dont know. Probably they dont want to risk scaring off customers who would probably ask why isnt it 100% lead free and not 6ppb.

InChristAlone

Dont know. Probably they dont want to risk scaring off customers who would probably ask why isnt it 100% lead free and not 6ppb.
Yeah consumers can be pretty needy. Their jaw would drop if they saw how contaminated the food supply is though! Thankfully food manufacturers don't have to list that stuff haha.

Queequeg

Yeah consumers can be pretty needy. Their jaw would drop if they saw how contaminated the food supply is though! Thankfully food manufacturers don't have to list that stuff haha.
yes ignorance is bliss.. until all of the xenoestrogens in our food supply turns our boys into girls and girls into boys.

Last edited:

yerrag

I think it's an unwritten law of competition in certain industries. I know it applies with gasoline. Don't tell on the competition, lest you get swept away with it.

If Quali-C says it's got very low lead, it's drawing attention to the issue, and it becomes bad for the industry. Now everyone will be looking for low-lead not only in vitamin C, but in everything else. Mum is the word. Only the folks in this forum know this as an issue. Even the Vitamin C Foundation pays no heed to this matter.

Notice that with gasoline, you never see competing brands compare one to another like they do with laundry detergents. Verboten.

Logan-

I got the CoA for a few batches from the manufacturer. I don't have permission to post the whole thing but this is very reassuring. This is the brand made in the UK.

https://gmofreevitamins.com

View attachment 11978

Kray

Thank you for your work in getting this! I assume you're referring to the Quali-C product? Perhaps no news was good news in this case-- yes, very reassuring!