What Do You Guys Think Of My Diet? What Can I Improve ?

OP
Razvan

Razvan

I'm gonna be the one guy that says your protein intake is perfect don't increase it, if anything increase carbs, especially if you lift weights. Protein is something I've recently learned to respect and handle carefully. What I mean by that, too low is bad. But too high is equally as bad, so I wouldn't over-do it, the amount you are intaking is perfect imo. Contrary to popular belief protein isn't needed in massive quantities even to gain muscle, and you look pretty ripped so you're doing fine I'd say.

Around these forums I'm known as the crazy man who eats 700-1000 gram carb a day while sedentary, lol. But there are good examples of ripped men here eating 700+ also, like @olive . So carbs you can go pretty crazy with, doubly so if you exercise.
Thanks man , I have the same opinion as yours because I feel good eating more carbs ,better than protein , workouts seem better and better pumps. Do you think I am eating too much white sugar? I feel good from it . What should be the sugar to starch ratio? Going to the gym it’s impossible to not eat starch.

redsun

Thanks man , I have the same opinion as yours because I feel good eating more carbs ,better than protein , workouts seem better and better pumps. Do you think I am eating too much white sugar? I feel good from it . What should be the sugar to starch ratio? Going to the gym it’s impossible to not eat starch.

Its always a good idea to limit empty sugars. If you feel fine with the amount you have I wouldnt worry about it, though keep in mind the more you add sugar without nutrients(aka cane sugar) the more your body has to take from its own nutrients to use it and the more likely you are going to get nutrient depletion that can later cause problems with glucose tolerance and eventually cause insulin resistance and weight gain and health problems in general. Of course like I said if you are good with what you have now, stick with it, but be careful with adding more empty calories and avoid if possible.

Cirion

White sugar isn't bad as long as you are getting enough b vitamins and whatnot to support it. I personally avoid it, except for a couple of colas a day, because I am currently healing some health concerns, but that's a personal choice.

Starch is definitely a big point of contention around here. You will get a million different opinions on it. I have my own opinion. I'll attempt to be more neutral and say this

If you can digest starch, you feel good on it, it doesn't bloat you, then, knock yourself out.

If you can't digest starch, it bloats you, it makes you feel bad, don't eat it.

I personally have to avoid starch. But healthier people can probably handle more of it than I can.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

White sugar isn't bad as long as you are getting enough b vitamins and whatnot to support it. I personally avoid it, except for a couple of colas a day, because I am currently healing some health concerns, but that's a personal choice.

Starch is definitely a big point of contention around here. You will get a million different opinions on it. I have my own opinion. I'll attempt to be more neutral and say this

If you can digest starch, you feel good on it, it doesn't bloat you, then, knock yourself out.

If you can't digest starch, it bloats you, it makes you feel bad, don't eat it.

I personally have to avoid starch. But healthier people can probably handle more of it than I can.
Man I don’t know if starch does those things to me. I feel pretty fine eating it. Especially white rice and potatoes. How would I get so much carbs without starch anyways ? It’s impossible.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

Its always a good idea to limit empty sugars. If you feel fine with the amount you have I wouldnt worry about it, though keep in mind the more you add sugar without nutrients(aka cane sugar) the more your body has to take from its own nutrients to use it and the more likely you are going to get nutrient depletion that can later cause problems with glucose tolerance and eventually cause insulin resistance and weight gain and health problems in general. Of course like I said if you are good with what you have now, stick with it, but be careful with adding more empty calories and avoid if possible.
So you are a pro starch I guess. So I guess its okay to eat carbs only from starch and little sugar.
And I have another question, do you guys think trying no fat diet would be healthy? Like 10-20 grams of sat. Fat a day ? Would that cause hormone problems? Or I would feel even better?

redsun

So you are a pro starch I guess. So I guess its okay to eat carbs only from starch and little sugar.
And I have another question, do you guys think trying no fat diet would be healthy? Like 10-20 grams of sat. Fat a day ? Would that cause hormone problems? Or I would feel even better?

Starch is in general a good food for nutrients and carbs if you dont have digestive issues. Well too low fat may cause problems it depends. If you are very lean it will lean you out even more, so if thats what you want it could work but you'll have even more trouble with eating more calories on it. I don't think its sustainable nor preferable for the average person unless you want to lean out and specifically plan out the diet so you can get all micronutrients covered included fat solubles which is harder to do on low fat.

Cirion

Man I don’t know if starch does those things to me. I feel pretty fine eating it. Especially white rice and potatoes. How would I get so much carbs without starch anyways ? It’s impossible.

Ah, my young padawan, you just need to learn to think big ;)

For example I bring to work the last few days a massive 48 oz cooler and in it I have 2 cups of skim milk, 2 cups of OJ, 1 cup of maple syrup, and 1 cup of concentrated coffee. This, alongside some jello, gets me through most of the work day. The drink alone is like 1600 calories lol.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

Starch is in general a good food for nutrients and carbs if you dont have digestive issues. Well too low fat may cause problems it depends. If you are very lean it will lean you out even more, so if thats what you want it could work but you'll have even more trouble with eating more calories on it. I don't think its sustainable nor preferable for the average person unless you want to lean out and specifically plan out the diet so you can get all micronutrients covered included fat solubles which is harder to do on low fat.
So you say if I want to get the most shredded a really low fat diet would help me . Thanks but now I’m bulking even more. I am really tall dude with long arms and legs and I need to become really big to look big . If you know what I mean.

Ah, my young padawan, you just need to learn to think big ;)

For example I bring to work the last few days a massive 48 oz cooler and in it I have 2 cups of skim milk, 2 cups of OJ, 1 cup of maple syrup, and 1 cup of concentrated coffee. This, alongside some jello, gets me through most of the work day. The drink alone is like 1600 calories lol.
Holy ***t bro you are a genious

Cirion

I think low fat is likely not the most optimal if you are very lean.

Saturated fats likely have strong androgenic effects on the body if you are lean with low tissue PUFA and low FFA's.

I have to eat very low fat but that's because I'm overweight. Being overweight floods your body with FFA's. In this situation, saturated fats are not that helpful, and actually can increase FFA's further. But for you, SFA's could very well boost the metabolic rate. I definitely plan to experiment with higher fat again once I lean out.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

I think low fat is likely not the most optimal if you are very lean.

Saturated fats likely have strong androgenic effects on the body if you are lean with low tissue PUFA and low FFA's.

I have to eat very low fat but that's because I'm overweight. Being overweight floods your body with FFA's. In this situation, saturated fats are not that helpful, and actually can increase FFA's further. But for you, SFA's could very well boost the metabolic rate. I definitely plan to experiment with higher fat again once I lean out.
Yeah since peating my metabolism got really fast and I’m just trying to figure out how to eat to bulk up in this way. I think like 4000 calories of food with 80grams of sat fat . Around 140 grams of protein and the rest all carbs , a combination of sugar and starch. What do you and @redsun think?

morgan#1

“Ray Peat Recommends 1g Protein Per Lb For Muscle” (I don’t know how to link a thread, but that’s what it’s title is). I don’t necessarily agree totally with that. But I had over 130 grams protein for three days and my muscles got huge. All to the muscle. I usually eat below that, but it was startling. My delts were very defined. Like I said I eat below that, and I utilize probably 30 G protein from gelatin. But my proof was my experiment.

I get what your talking about Cirion, but if you want to build muscle it seems protein is key. I don’t think the OP was talking about building...and I did feel a little off in the morning after eating 20 g of protein more. I don’t think a lot of protein is necessary, but it seems like building muscle is protein affiliated. Just saying. You can please prove me wrong. Just adding to the discussion

Tip: You're Missing This Protein | T Nation

OP
Razvan

Razvan

Yeah since peating my metabolism got really fast and I’m just trying to figure out how to eat to bulk up in this way. I think like 4000 calories of food with 80grams of sat fat . Around 140 grams of protein and the rest all carbs , a combination of sugar and starch. What do you and @redsun think?

Also do you have some reccomanded supplements I really need to try to help in the process?

Cirion

The myth of 1 g/lb: Optimal protein intake for bodybuilders is the article I like to link people to read.

Peak benefits occur at the 0.82 gram / lb of bodyweight level, even for top-end bodybuilders and even that is a conservative value, with some studies showing 0.75 gram / lb is peak benefit.

But I train harder!
If you still think you need more than 0.82g/lb because you think you train harder than these test subjects, think again. Lemon et al. (1992) studied bodybuilders training 1.5 hours per day, 6 days per week and still concluded 0.75g/lb is the highest intake at which body composition benefits could occur.

redsun

So you say if I want to get the most shredded a really low fat diet would help me . Thanks but now I’m bulking even more. I am really tall dude with long arms and legs and I need to become really big to look big . If you know what I mean.

Holy ***t bro you are a genious

I know what you mean, you want a bulkier muscles then Im assuming you plan on cutting the body fat down again. Then in that case, your protein needs to go up, that's the biggest factor here. You need protein for the anabolic hormones IGF-1, mTOR, insulin, that kind of stuff. That's going to be the necessary key for adding on more lean mass.

Carbs alongside it will also help raise insulin to grow the muscles. Starch will have a higher insulin response, but fruits are good to have to for more carbs. I think close to 150g protein will help a lot. If you cant eat that much more protein, consider casein powder for some added protein but it should be doable without it. Its not that easy to get tons of protein without also overdoing fat calories, which will just make you gain body fat and not help as much in gaining lean mass.

For recommended supplements casein powder is a good one. If you add more red meat you will get a bit more zinc which you need if you want bigger muscles as well. Supplement with casein powder is going to do a lot of the work, I wouldnt try to mess with other minerals or vitamins too much that can disrupt your internal balance.

morgan#1

recommended supplements casein powder is a good one. If you add more red meat you will get a bit more zinc which you need if you want bigger muscles as well. Supplement with casein powder is going to do a lot of the work, I wouldnt try to mess with other minerals or vitamins too much that can disrupt your internal balance.
Super good advice

OP
Razvan

Razvan

Thank you man! I sometimes take some aspirin, what do you think of that ?

Cirion

“Ray Peat Recommends 1g Protein Per Lb For Muscle” (I don’t know how to link a thread, but that’s what it’s title is). I don’t necessarily agree totally with that. But I had over 130 grams protein for three days and my muscles got huge. All to the muscle. I usually eat below that, but it was startling. My delts were very defined. Like I said I eat below that, and I utilize probably 30 G protein from gelatin. But my proof was my experiment.

I get what your talking about Cirion, but if you want to build muscle it seems protein is key. I don’t think the OP was talking about building...and I did feel a little off in the morning after eating 20 g of protein more. I don’t think a lot of protein is necessary, but it seems like building muscle is protein affiliated. Just saying. You can please prove me wrong. Just adding to the discussion

Tip: You're Missing This Protein | T Nation

How many carbs do you eat a day? It is possible you were under-consuming carbohydrates and that some of the extra protein underwent gluconeogenesis to provide your muscles the carbs they wanted. I don't disagree, protein is a necessary macro, just not that a ton of it is needed. I will say, that a complete newbie to the gym might need a little more protein because muscle synthesis is higher at the start aka "newbie gains" (possibly as high as the 1 g / lb of lean weight maybe) but if you have more than a year of weightlifting under your belt, then I doubt eating that much is necessary or helpful.

redsun

Thank you man! I sometimes take some aspirin, what do you think of that ?

Good to have another romanian/eastern european here. I'm not a fan of aspirin but if you aren't experiencing issues with it you can stick with it that's up to you.

OP
Razvan

Razvan

Good to have another romanian/eastern european here. I'm not a fan of aspirin but if you aren't experiencing issues with it you can stick with it that's up to you.
How do you know where I’m from? Yeah but I study in Italy . Thank you for you piece of advice. You are the man !

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals