Water Supply

Luann

Fluoride is added to some the water of a lot of cities, and it slows the thyroid and tends to build up in people's brains. Besides this, almost every household has other compounds in their tap water, be it copper or iron or even minerals that by themselves are not bad but work to make the water into less of a pure solvent. I'm not sure what else is in tap water, some people say drug traces and birth control and other unsafe items that make it into the supply.

Even distilled or reverse osmosis water, unless you distill it yourself into a glass bowl, is bought and stored in plastic until you use it. How much is the lack of pure water hurting us as a culture and as people? Why aren't houses built with steel pipes that don't react with the water supply and add metals to it? How do we know that things beside fluoride (which, they say, is derived from a waste product) are not added to water? You know, for our "health"?

I've been able to make my hair far less greasy and more soft by using only reverse osmosis water to wash it, and I want to distill water in the future, with a steel pan and a glass bowl, to use on my teeth. One area of my gums keeps getting inflamed near a wisdom tooth and I'd like to try pure water to rinse it a few times a day and see if that helps it.

Bad water forces people to use more soap in their laundry and on the body, and still they won't see clean results, since the "rinse" part of washing is now corrupt. And it's awful to think about what drinking toxic water does to the body's system and how it doesn't clean the inner parts like it should. I'll post results about the swollen gums and whether distilled water has any effect. Hoping that it will not take long to see some results.

HLP

I have secured a supply of fresh spring water for myself near my house on an abandoned property. Takes me about 20 minutes to walk over, get it and come back. So beside enjoying crystal clear unadulterated drinking water I get some walking with a purpose. I could drive my quad over but choose to get some exercise. I carry about 9-10 liters each time I go. It makes the best coffee I've ever enjoyed. This water keeps about a week in the fridge.

Queequeg

I have used a table top distiller for about three years and I love it. Now getting the fluoride out of the shower without a whole house R.O. system or using short-lived and expensive alumina filters is a real trick.

CoolTweetPete

I meant to call into KMUD and ask Dr Peat about this last week but I ended up being occupied during the call time.

I am curious if fluoride is able to cross our skin during bathing and whether the temperature of the water (warmth opening pores) would be relevant.

This also led me to realize how much fluoride I was drinking. Anytime you order something from a restaurant like a soup, coffee, or even ice the water is likely from the tap.

tara

I distilled water for a while after reading about RBTI. I stuck a large glass jar under the output spout to collect the clean water. I think my regular supply is OK, no fluouride, so I eventually stopped doing it. But if there is fluouride and likely other problem chemicals, I think it could be worth doing.

One area of my gums keeps getting inflamed near a wisdom tooth and I'd like to try pure water to rinse it a few times a day and see if that helps it.
Have you had a go at something like oil pulling, in addition to thorough brushing and flossing? There is probably an infection that needs to be cleaned up in the gums (or if you are unlucky, in the tooth). Maybe something stronger antibacterial. I doubt just rinsing with clean water will be enough to get at this problem.

Bad water forces people to use more soap in their laundry and on the body, and still they won't see clean results, since the "rinse" part of washing is now corrupt.
I think this issue might just be about 'hard' water, which is water that has calcium dissolved in it. This may not be causing any health difficulties at all, and may even make it less likely that other harmful chemicals leach into the water.

Queequeg

I meant to call into KMUD and ask Dr Peat about this last week but I ended up being occupied during the call time.

I am curious if fluoride is able to cross our skin during bathing and whether the temperature of the water (warmth opening pores) would be relevant.

This also led me to realize how much fluoride I was drinking. Anytime you order something from a restaurant like a soup, coffee, or even ice the water is likely from the tap.
Yes it goes through the skin and I am sure the hotter the water, the more gets in. Chlorine does too but is easier to filter out.

Last edited:

CoolTweetPete

Yes it goes through the skin and I am sure the hotter the water, the more gets in. Chlorine does too but is easier to filter out.

This is very alarming. I will certainly be switching to short, cold showers. Thanks for the reply.

tyler

Berkey makes some rad looking filter systems. They have fluoride-filter add ons to. I've wanted one for awhile. In the meantime I'm using bottled distilled or spring water for any cooking and coffee. Not too happy about the plastics but our water is super fluorinated and I'd rather avoid that.

CoolTweetPete

Berkey makes some rad looking filter systems. They have fluoride-filter add ons to. I've wanted one for awhile. In the meantime I'm using bottled distilled or spring water for any cooking and coffee. Not too happy about the plastics but our water is super fluorinated and I'd rather avoid that.

I have the Berkey fluoride / arsenic filters. The only drawback is how slowly the water passes through. I was getting tired of using bottles upon bottles of spring water. And yes as you mentioned the plastic coming in contact with heat or light always made me uncomfortable.

My friends all think I'm nuts. Maybe I am. :???:

OP
Luann

Luann

A table top distiller sounds awesome! Jealous.

@tara, I want to just leave it alone for a half a day and see what happens. Pretty sure that it got infected because I didn't brush my teeth for two days as an experiment and then put the toothbrush in my mouth and brushed, and some bacteria must have gone inside. If it doesn't get better - the swelling and pain have mostly gone down, actually - then I'll oil pull or use stronger techniques. Thanks

Queequeg

@Liubo I just saw that you have some gum issues. You may want to try baking soda and salt for brushing. I have been using it for a few months after hearing a podcast with the late Dr. Huggins (first Dentist to publicly say mercury fillings are dangerous) and my gums have never been stronger. I use 30/70 salt to baking soda but you can go up to 50/50. I think of him as the Ray Peat of dentistry.

OP
Luann

Luann

@Queequeg thank you. may try it.

my swollen gum went back to normal a few days after making this thread. i still don't drink tap water - at all. not in soft drinks, not as Pepsi, no drinks at all if it isn't "filtered" or straight from my RO. this is gonna be hard to keep up in the long run but hey as long as my gums dont' hurt.

Also taking copper (4 mg day) seems to help, at least, copper is supposed to fight the bad bugs in the mouth. I break up the pill in my mouth and swish it around before washing it down.

zztr

Fluoridation of the water supply is a political problem. It's not a "go buy a filter problem." You should refuse to buy a filter on principle. Your taxes pay for clean drinking water. This is an injustice that needs to be fixed.

That said I'm skeptical fluoridation is quite as harmful as some people pretend. It's clearly some sort of mentally retarded racket, though.

OP
Luann

Luann

I have secured a supply of fresh spring water for myself near my house on an abandoned property. Takes me about 20 minutes to walk over, get it and come back. So beside enjoying crystal clear unadulterated drinking water I get some walking with a purpose. I could drive my quad over but choose to get some exercise. I carry about 9-10 liters each time I go. It makes the best coffee I've ever enjoyed. This water keeps about a week in the fridge.

This sounds awesome, how do you know how clean the water is?

zztr

Collecting rain water for drinking purposes is trivial. The point is you are paying for drinking water. If they are not delivering drinking water the answer is to refuse to pay or to demand actual drinking water.

OP
Luann

Luann

Fluoridation of the water supply is a political problem. It's not a "go buy a filter problem." You should refuse to buy a filter on principle. Your taxes pay for clean drinking water. This is an injustice that needs to be fixed.

That said I'm skeptical fluoridation is quite as harmful as some people pretend. It's clearly some sort of mentally retarded racket, though.

If there's exaggeration about fluoride's effects, it's only a little. People invest to have fluoride added to our water, and it's not because it makes our teeth better. For me it's a migraine trigger. Also once it's in you it doesn't comes out but builds in the brain and bones, there are studies, NOT anecdotes, that show this.

Fact: (Some) hospitals call their patients "clients".

We should not have to pay for filters after paying for clean water. Really an outrage. As long as people are taking, peeing, and dumping noxious pills though, the filters for the tap might not be enough, not to mention leached metals.

lvysaur

Drink milk every day

problem''s was solve

Milena

@Liubo I just saw that you have some gum issues. You may want to try baking soda and salt for brushing. I have been using it for a few months after hearing a podcast with the late Dr. Huggins (first Dentist to publicly say mercury fillings are dangerous) and my gums have never been stronger. I use 30/70 salt to baking soda but you can go up to 50/50. I think of him as the Ray Peat of dentistry.
:+1 and a little colloidal silver and/or sage or thyme or oregaano oil too.

HLP

We mostly use our spring water for making coffee. Makes the best damn coffee.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals