Water, filters, distilled, remineralisation

leeteeh

Curious what people use to filter their water. I’m looking to get a reverse osmosis or Aquatru in future. I’ve had a water distilled for a while to make water for humidifier and nebuliser.
I went to start using it for drinking as I thought it would be a better option than tap (UK) but on both times I distilled some water it tastes so bad. I can’t pinpoint the taste but it’s so odd, if you’ve ever opened a distilled to see the residue left behind that smell is what it tastes like almost.
It doesn’t matter how many minerals I add to it it still has that lingering horrible taste, the minerals areiwuid drops of magnesium, chloride, sodium, sulphate, boron, lithium. And a powder mix of potassium, magnesium, sodium and chloride.
is this the standard horrible taste for distilled water? Would adding calcium chloride make the taste any better as most water is higher calcium or is it going to make no difference if this is how distilled tastes.

frannybananny

Curious what people use to filter their water. I’m looking to get a reverse osmosis or Aquatru in future. I’ve had a water distilled for a while to make water for humidifier and nebuliser.
I went to start using it for drinking as I thought it would be a better option than tap (UK) but on both times I distilled some water it tastes so bad. I can’t pinpoint the taste but it’s so odd, if you’ve ever opened a distilled to see the residue left behind that smell is what it tastes like almost.
It doesn’t matter how many minerals I add to it it still has that lingering horrible taste, the minerals areiwuid drops of magnesium, chloride, sodium, sulphate, boron, lithium. And a powder mix of potassium, magnesium, sodium and chloride.
is this the standard horrible taste for distilled water? Would adding calcium chloride make the taste any better as most water is higher calcium or is it going to make no difference if this is how distilled tastes.
After looking at all the gravity filters I decided to get a battery rechargeable one that I can have upstairs since I drink so much water up here. It just sits on the table top and water is immediately available instead of having to wait for a gravity feed. It is made by Waterdrop and the only con is that you have to replace the removable battery filter every few months $$. Removes flouride, chlorine and even residual pharmaceuticals that are found in tap water. Tastes good. Countertop Water Dispenser|1s Instant Filtration|Waterdrop

RealNeat

There is no better purification method than distillation when all factors are considered. Never drink distilled water out of plastic jugs, make it yourself with a countertop SS water distiller straight into glass, ideally vent the distiller outdoors. Here is a thread with lots of this info, Pristine Hydro Water Filter

Fortunately I am allergic to fluoride, and that made me take action to get it out of my water. ..

“However, a statistically significant difference was observed in the urinary fluoride levels (P 0.000). Reduction in intelligence was observed with an increased water fluoride level (P 0.000). The urinary fluoride level was a significant predictor for intelligence (P 0.000).

Conclusion:​

Children in endemic areas of fluorosis are at risk for impaired development of intelligence.”

RealNeat

Fortunately I am allergic to fluoride, and that made me take action to get it out of my water. ..

“However, a statistically significant difference was observed in the urinary fluoride levels (P 0.000). Reduction in intelligence was observed with an increased water fluoride level (P 0.000). The urinary fluoride level was a significant predictor for intelligence (P 0.000).

Conclusion:​

Children in endemic areas of fluorosis are at risk for impaired development of intelligence.”

Tamarind can help displace fluoride

RealNeat

I use a gravity filter, Propur, because it removes fluoride from my tap water, and I am allergic to fluoride…

It likely introduce aluminum into the water instead, its part of the fluoride removal media in most gravity systems. Id be careful, aluminum can cause blood clots.

Dutchie

It likely introduce aluminum into the water instead, its part of the fluoride removal media in most gravity systems. Id be careful, aluminum can cause blood clots.
I've seen reviews about how gravity filters don't remove Pfas. That's why I opted out of them, though it surely would be easier to have a waterfilter system which doesn't require electrical power.

OP
L

leeteeh

There is no better purification method than distillation when all factors are considered. Never drink distilled water out of plastic jugs, make it yourself with a countertop SS water distiller straight into glass, ideally vent the distiller outdoors. Here is a thread with lots of this info, Pristine Hydro Water Filterth
I cannot find a good water distiller like the aquanui in uk, for now I just have one of those basic ones found on the internet that look like a big cylinder with a tube and fan and carbon pouch before it drips into a glass jug. no voc/ other filters. that's why I was looking at getting an AquatTru in near future, the test results seem to be pretty good for their water. this or waterdrop countertop style seem like the best options for a bedroom also as im moving in with family for some time and dont want a huge unit. in the kitchen.

Dutchie

I cannot find a good water distiller like the aquanui in uk, for now I just have one of those basic ones found on the internet that look like a big cylinder with a tube and fan and carbon pouch before it drips into a glass jug. no voc/ other filters. that's why I was looking at getting an AquatTru in near future, the test results seem to be pretty good for their water. this or waterdrop countertop style seem like the best options for a bedroom also as im moving in with family for some time and dont want a huge unit. in the kitchen.
Aquatru isn't a distiller, it's a reverse osmosis system (I'd been looking into it as well).
The downside is (at least for me), a distiller or Aquatru (RO countertop system) both require power to function.

PopSocket

reverse osmosis followed by a carbon filter and then resin filter is the best I've found so far. Removes literally everything from the water and tastes great. Distilled tastes absolutely terrible and I tried several devices they all taste bad.

Some device to structure the water after filtration is great too.

Good point. It is stainless steel. I have replaced all my pots and pans and avoid canned foods and really don’t drink straight water. I make ice cubes with it and for cooking bone broth, boiling noodles and such. I really didn’t have a choice since I am allergic to fluoride, and I wasn’t going to put a whole osmosis system in my house. I use to drink distilled and put mineral drops back in, but I didn’t see the point of that either because of the cheap plastic containers it comes in. The gravity filter was the lesser of all of the evils.

I've seen reviews about how gravity filters don't remove Pfas. That's why I opted out of them, though it surely would be easier to have a waterfilter system which doesn't require electrical power.
Your point is a big reason why I bought my gravity filter too, and a back up one too with back up filters, emergency water. I bought a solar battery for my refrigerators, but for emergencies I couldn’t store enough water, and the distilled gallons I have bought and stored over the years have leaked all over the place over time from the plastic, creating a mold issue even, in my shed. I tested my gravity filter adding blue food dye to it and it comes out clear, even a coke comes out clear and tasteless. I am sure it cleans up the water better than 95% of what the world is drinking. I can go to the muddy duck filled pond a few miles away from me and add that water in my gravity filter and would feel confident drinking it. I couldn’t do that with something connected to my house that uses electricity in an emergency.

OP
L

leeteeh

Aquatru isn't a distiller, it's a reverse osmosis system (I'd been looking into it as well).
The downside is (at least for me), a distiller or Aquatru (RO countertop system) both require power to function.
I know it’s a RO I was just stating my go to option based on what’s I’ve research aquatru seems good. I wouldn’t want an undercounter RO as I’ve read online and listened to podcasts about the storage tanks being a possible issue for bacteria I think so I think the countertop option and don’t mind too much about the plug in. I just have a distilled from past usage and went to start using it again.

OP
L

leeteeh

reverse osmosis followed by a carbon filter and then resin filter is the best I've found so far. Removes literally everything from the water and tastes great. Distilled tastes absolutely terrible and I tried several devices they all taste bad.

Some device to structure the water after filtration is great too.
Do you know of any specific structure devices? I’ve seen vortex ones that spin the water and different lights and sunlight are supposedly good also.

OP
L

leeteeh

Your point is a big reason why I bought my gravity filter too, and a back up one too with back up filters, emergency water. I bought a solar battery for my refrigerators, but for emergencies I couldn’t store enough water, and the distilled gallons I have bought and stored over the years have leaked all over the place over time from the plastic, creating a mold issue even, in my shed. I tested my gravity filter adding blue food dye to it and it comes out clear, even a coke comes out clear and tasteless. I am sure it cleans up the water better than 95% of what the world is drinking. I can go to the muddy duck filled pond a few miles away from me and add that water in my gravity filter and would feel confident drinking it. I couldn’t do that with something connected to my house that uses electricity in an emergency.
Is there ever an issue with smell from the gravity filter? I think I remember researching it years ago and people having issues with the inside starting to smell and needing to wash it a lot to stop It.

Is there ever an issue with smell from the gravity filter? I think I remember researching it years ago and people having issues with the inside starting to smell and needing to wash it a lot to stop It.
Logically you do have to clean the filter occasionally and eventually change it in a gravity system. putting in the blue food dye is how you know it is time to change the filter for sure, if it comes out blue at all. I notice a strong smell of chlorine in the filter part of the tank and absolutely no smell at all in the filtered tank, but we do our regular maintenance.

Dutchie

It definitely clears out a lot of unwanted stuff, but I saw reviews where they tested for pfas and those aren't filtered out. There are a couple of big companies here dumping toxic waste with pfas in our rivers, which ends up in our drinking water.
Power outage is a possible concern, but the power costs are of a more direct concern for me at the moment.

Dutchie

I know it’s a RO I was just stating my go to option based on what’s I’ve research aquatru seems good. I wouldn’t want an undercounter RO as I’ve read online and listened to podcasts about the storage tanks being a possible issue for bacteria I think so I think the countertop option and don’t mind too much about the plug in. I just have a distilled from past usage and went to start using it again.
I would love an undercounter RO system,which doesn't require power, but since I live in a rental apartment I'm not allowed to make the piping modifications needed for it.
I've heard the bacteria argument, but in all honesty that would be the same for gravity filters as well.
Maybe you can store the clean water from the tank into a glass jug or something for storage? I've heard colloidal silver kills bacteria, maybe you can put some in the tank?

It definitely clears out a lot of unwanted stuff, but I saw reviews where they tested for pfas and those aren't filtered out. There are a couple of big companies here dumping toxic waste with pfas in our rivers, which ends up in our drinking water.
Power outage is a possible concern, but the power costs are of a more direct concern for me at the moment.
I am unable to drink water at all, because of fluoride, so that a my first concern. Being covered in an emergency is my second bonus. I have rid myself of toxic clothing, toxic air, cosmetics and personal care toxins, changed my dishes and cookwear, don’t eat canned foods or foods in plastic, I don’t take supplements, I have filters on my shower heads, and I am growing my own organic fruit, so what little is in the very little filtered fluoride free water I drink isn’t a concern for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals