Kirkland (Costco) Bottled Water

cyclops

I've been buying bottled water at Costco for a while now. I notice it says "with minerals added" and I found the following online...

ingredients: purified water, potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium citrate, sodium chloride, magnesium oxide.

Do you think this is ok to consume?

x-ray peat

sounds like filtered tap water. find out where its bottled, probably has fluoride in it

SOMO

I also drink that same Costco water and always feel better after doing so.

A bigger concern is the CHEAP SUPER-THIN PLASTIC they use which likely leaches some BPA into the water.

fradon

I've been buying bottled water at Costco for a while now. I notice it says "with minerals added" and I found the following online...

ingredients: purified water, potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium citrate, sodium chloride, magnesium oxide.

Do you think this is ok to consume?
yeah its ok,,,its just reverse osmosis filtered that strips away all the minerals so they add the minerals back in. if they didn't the water would leach you.

aguilaroja

I also drink that same Costco water ...A bigger concern is the CHEAP SUPER-THIN PLASTIC they use which likely leaches some BPA into the water.

The danger is not only leaching of BPA or other substances. There are plastic micro-particles in the water.

93% of bottled water tested contained microplastics: Study | CBC News
“The research was conducted on behalf of Orb Media, a U.S-based non-profit journalism organization with which CBC News has partnered.Mason's team tested 259 bottles of water purchased in nine countries (none were bought in Canada). Though many brands are sold internationally, the water source, manufacturing and bottling process for the same brand can differ by country.
“The 11 brands tested include the world's dominant players — Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner — as well as major national brands across Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.
“Researchers found 93 per cent of all bottles tested contained some sort of microplastic, including polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).”

I am not aware of an equivalent study being done for juice or soda bottles. It seems reasonable to believe other plastic beverage bottles also have risks. It seems wiser to carry a safe container, and use a home filter.

BigChad

I also drink that same Costco water and always feel better after doing so.

A bigger concern is the CHEAP SUPER-THIN PLASTIC they use which likely leaches some BPA into the water.

They say they don't use BPA, but do use PET bottles which is still an endocrine disruptor I think

I use a countertop distiller and add back minerals. much cheaper and no need to lug gallon jugs around. Also gets rid of all the fluoride

I heard reverse osmosis alone does not get rid of fluoride, that you need reverse osmosis plus ozone, chlorine or ultraviolet treatment to purify the water. Due to that I have gone with the costco water which is ozone treated and reverse osmosis filtered.

yeah its ok,,,its just reverse osmosis filtered that strips away all the minerals so they add the minerals back in. if they didn't the water would leach you.

How significant is the leaching effect, would it leach all minerals equally or does it leach some of them more? I thought its fine as long as you get vitamins and minerals from food. Also the amounts of minerals the costco water adds back in are extremely trace amounts just for taste, they say the amounts are so small they cant be measured in milligrams at least. even with the minerals added back in, there's much less mineral content in the purified water compared to natural spring water or tap water

The danger is not only leaching of BPA or other substances. There are plastic micro-particles in the water.

93% of bottled water tested contained microplastics: Study | CBC News
“The research was conducted on behalf of Orb Media, a U.S-based non-profit journalism organization with which CBC News has partnered.Mason's team tested 259 bottles of water purchased in nine countries (none were bought in Canada). Though many brands are sold internationally, the water source, manufacturing and bottling process for the same brand can differ by country.
“The 11 brands tested include the world's dominant players — Nestle Pure Life, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, San Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner — as well as major national brands across Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.
“Researchers found 93 per cent of all bottles tested contained some sort of microplastic, including polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).”

I am not aware of an equivalent study being done for juice or soda bottles. It seems reasonable to believe other plastic beverage bottles also have risks. It seems wiser to carry a safe container, and use a home filter.

costco and many grocery store brands use niagara bottling which should be in PET bottles. I'd imagine juices or sodas, due to their acidity, would leach significantly more plastic from the bottle than water as well? Glass bottled sodas or even canned sodas are probably safer than plastic bottled ones?