Fluoride Content Of Sparkling Water An Issue?

Josh

As i can't consume dairy as it plays hell on my eczema i'm taking calcium supplements and then getting calcium from anything possible thats safe, including drinking 1litre of San Pellegrino Sparkling water a day which gives about 174mg of calcium and good bit of some other minerals which is great.

Is the fluoride content an issue though?: 0.5mg of fluoride per litre? An issue? Sainsbury's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery

It's obviously the natural occurring fluoride and not been added so how does it compare to normal tap water? Does ALL water have some fluoride whether that be naturally occurring or added fluoride?

Saw a post from a few years ago here talking about the 'strontium ions' in SP, apparently it sticks to your bones for life, a real issue?

(I know gerolsteiner is the best but its not really accessible in the Uk and in glass bottles).

R J

Gerolsteiner is contaminated with microplastic, worse than cheap brands.

Anyways, if you like sparkling water, drink it, but doing it for 174mg of calcium seems silly.

I have no idea if the fluoride content is a problem.

Jessie

Try making your own with sodastream. You can use your own water, filter the fluoride out, and infuse it with the CO2 (and minerals, if you want to add them).

At the end of the day, I would be more concerned about the packaging then the actual water itself. Does it come in plastic or glass bottles? I always try and drink stuff from glass only to avoid the BPA and other estrogens.

If microplastic is in the water then that is a source of estrogen.

Hedgehog

Gerolsteiner is contaminated with microplastic, worse than cheap brands.

Anyways, if you like sparkling water, drink it, but doing it for 174mg of calcium seems silly.

I have no idea if the fluoride content is a problem.

Any sources for glass bottles of Gerolsteiner having high levels of microplastics? I'm only aware of one study, conducted by a university in New York in cooperation with Orb Media and in their "study" they don't even reveal which bottle and exact product they used for which brand. I'm pretty sure they only tested plastic bottles for the bigger brands and it's obvious that there's a lot of plastic contamination in there (not saying that it's good or that it can't be avoided) but that doesn't really give us a whole picture if the problem is about their plastic packaging or if its about the water itself or their manufacturing process.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4575049.15209809...rivatives/original_1180/prof-sherri-mason.JPG

That's the lead researcher of the study and in the picture you can see a Gerolsteiner plastic bottle for example.

R J

Try making your own with sodastream. You can use your own water, filter the fluoride out, and infuse it with the CO2 (and minerals, if you want to add them).

At the end of the day, I would be more concerned about the packaging then the actual water itself. Does it come in plastic or glass bottles? I always try and drink stuff from glass only to avoid the BPA and other estrogens.

If microplastic is in the water then that is a source of estrogen.

I think it’s how they transport and then package the water, probably thru plastic lines, that contaminates it too

Last edited:

R J

Any sources for glass bottles of Gerolsteiner having high levels of microplastics? I'm only aware of one study, conducted by a university in New York in cooperation with Orb Media and in their "study" they don't even reveal which bottle and exact product they used for which brand. I'm pretty sure they only tested plastic bottles for the bigger brands and it's obvious that there's a lot of plastic contamination in there (not saying that it's good or that it can't be avoided) but that doesn't really give us a whole picture if the problem is about their plastic packaging or if its about the water itself or their manufacturing process.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4575049.15209809...rivatives/original_1180/prof-sherri-mason.JPG

That's the lead researcher of the study and in the picture you can see a Gerolsteiner plastic bottle for example.

Synthetic Polymer Contamination in Bottled Water

Last edited:

Hedgehog

No, the study I’m referring to, they specifically stated they tested glass Gerolsteiner. Synthetic Polymer Contamination in Bottled Water

Gerolsteiner responded with some corporate BS, they avoided answering the question directly. And did the same to me when I personally inquired. Their glass bottle product had way higher levels than even nestle water in cheap plastic.

I used to spend lots of money on gerolsteiner, I’ve been through this. I would lug dozens of glass bottles from the store every week, I was not amused when I found out. Their water goes through a lot of processing contrary to the image of direct from natural spring. The first hint is how they label it, depending on your country’s labelling laws they can’t call it naturally sparkling spirit water, because it’s not. They remove the bicarbonates and minerals and then add back to the water at a set amount to achieve product uniformity.

Hey, I haven't seen that link before, but it actually is the study from Orb Media.

It says this:

Of all the lots tested, only one was packaged in glass rather than plastic: Gerolsteiner (NV No. AC-51-07269). While these samples revealed microplastic contamination, they did so at lower level as compared to the other lots (Tables (Tables2,2, ,3).3). Further, the same brand of water but packaged in plastic instead of glass was also tested (Gerolsteiner, 07.142018 2). While both of these packaged waters have the same water source, there was considerably less microplastic contamination within the water bottled in glass as compared to that packaged in plastic (204 vs. 1,410 MPP/L, respectively).

That's still bad in my opinion considering it's a glass one, but far less worrisome than if you'd drink their plastic bottles.

R J

Hey, I haven't seen that link before, but it actually is the study from Orb Media.

It says this:

Of all the lots tested, only one was packaged in glass rather than plastic: Gerolsteiner (NV No. AC-51-07269). While these samples revealed microplastic contamination, they did so at lower level as compared to the other lots (Tables (Tables2,2, ,3).3). Further, the same brand of water but packaged in plastic instead of glass was also tested (Gerolsteiner, 07.142018 2). While both of these packaged waters have the same water source, there was considerably less microplastic contamination within the water bottled in glass as compared to that packaged in plastic (204 vs. 1,410 MPP/L, respectively).

That's still bad in my opinion considering it's a glass one, but far less worrisome than if you'd drink their plastic bottles.

Oh ok, I thought glass was highest contaminated. I read the paper two years back. Thanks for clarifying. I think I decided to just stop buying it anyways because I don’t see much value over cheaper brands?

Also I removed my comment about nestle being better too because the chart shows it was worst of all.

I wish they had tested Fiji water too

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Oh ok, I thought glass was highest contaminated. I read the paper two years back. Thanks for clarifying. I think I decided to just stop buying it anyways because I don’t see much value over cheaper brands?

Also I removed my comment about nestle being better too because the chart shows it was worst of all.

I wish they had tested Fiji water too

No worries. Gerolsteiner is pretty decent when it comes to mineral composition as its quite rich in nutrients while relatively low in toxic ones such as arsenic and fluoride. The high plastic content is a cause for concern though.

Fiji is high in fluoride, not sure about plastic.

Fiji is relatively low in fluoride at about 0.24mg/l. Although if you're worried about fluoride there's definitely alternatives which are a lot lower (for example evian water).

Last edited: