Distilled Water

O

Omen

I want to try distilled water to see if I can get away from my RO system I've been using for the past 7 years.

I found a good unit but it's $650. I would like to test distilled to see if it agrees with my sensitive system before going ahead and buying it. Supermarket stuff just tastes like plastic to me. There's a method of boiling water in a pot and having it extract the water from the inverted lid inside a floating bowl. What would the quality of this be for testing purposes? I've heard chlorine plus other contaminants will still be present.

cremes

Just get a Megahome product. It's less than the $650 you mentioned and it's apparently the "standard bearer" for at-home distillation. I've asked for one for Father's Day, so fingers crossed that I get it.

Downside is that it has a relatively small capacity. If you need to do 5 gallons at a time, you'll have to seek a different product.

laoa

I have a countertop distiller and didn't cost more than 150 eur iirc from 'make water pure', there's also a replacable carbon filter at the end for the chorine. 5L at a time takes around 3h.

Sphagnum

What shortcomings does your RO system have that you feel would be addressed by distilling? Maybe you could keep the current system and address the issue separately rather than starting over. Both are stripping any minerals/solids (both the good and the bad) but the RO gets rid of more undesirables.

As far as chlorine; my understanding is yes, the chloramines used to treat water, as well as anything else with a boiling temp at or below the temp your distilling at, would remain.

tasfarelel

I'm also using the Megadome that cremes mentioned for ~5 years. I would recommend the 316 steel version: Megahome 316 Stainless Steel - Megahome

Donwside is only that it is only enough for 1 person, if you drink ~3 liter/day and cook.

In terms of contaminants - it's pretty straightforward: you end up definitely with zero metals/mineral. However, organic stuff, pesticides etc., will be still inside. Therefore all distillers come with an activated charcoal end piece. But as all (or most, I'm not 100% sure) organic stuff have lower boiling points than water, they will be enriched in the first water that comes out. I'm collecting the first 0.3 liters separately and discard.

:M :B.

I use a cheap RO system and then distill that water with the Megahome distiller. I got the Megahome after i heard Atom Bergstrom say that he uses it. Works great. Takes about 5 hours to make a gallon I think.

I have high dissolved solids in my well water so sending it through RO first lessens the mineral build up in the distiller pot as well as guaranteeing me that I'll have some very clean water to mix with other things and drink.

The other day I was at a friends house for a few days doing some work, he has a big green 2500gallon storage tank next to his well pump. I was thinking how gross his water must be sitting in a giant tank. So I brought my distiller and the stuff left in the pot was freaking nasty. These translucent white soft gooey chunks were left in the bottom. Just nasty and these people that live there do not care about anything.

Dutchie

Out of curiosity, why would you want distilled when you have RO?

When I was looking into waterfilters, an RO system was actually my top choice, but I couldn't afford that so I settled for a countertop distiller.

Honestly, I'm not really a fan of it.
Somehow the distilled water has more of a questionable taste/mouthfeel and effect on me, compared to the RO water I'd once drank. Maybe it's bc of the charge of the distilled water...I don't know

It also is a money guzzler in this time of skyrocketing energy prices. (I suppose that depends on how much water you use in a day and where you live)
(in order to save money I had to resort to packaged mineralwater this Winter, which likely isnt that pure,so the joke's on me. I probably would've even been better off with a gravity filter like a Berkey. Not to mention that my distiller might be broken, i always have a splash of water around the can and distiller and don't see where it's coming from.)

Third, a distiller needs frequent cleaning up of the inside chamber.

:M :B.

When I was looking into waterfilters, an RO system was actually my top choice, but I couldn't afford that so I settled for a countertop distiller.

Somehow the distilled water has more of a questionable taste/mouthfeel and effect on me, compared to the RO water I'd once drank. Maybe it's bc of the charge of the distilled water...I don't know

It also is a money guzzler in this time of skyrocketing energy prices. (I suppose that depends on how much water you use in a day and where you live)
(in order to save money I had to resort to packaged mineralwater this Winter, which likely isnt that pure,so the joke's on me. I probably would've even been better off with a gravity filter like a Berkey. Not to mention that my distiller might be broken, i always have a splash of water can and distiller and don't see where it's coming from.)

I realize this question is not directed at me, but I want to chime in and say that I do not trust RO systems. I don't trust that the water sitting in the reservoir tank is clean. I feel like it could have bacteria after a while. Water sitting in any filters/housings after the RO and the tank seems risky to me. I don't like the idea of maintenance with something like this, letting things get built up over time, can't see what's happening, and then changing filters and thinking everything is good to go.

But I really like RO and then distilling it cause it keeps my distiller from needing frequent descaling.

A gallon of water usually lasts me 2-3 days. I like the milk from the cow filter a lot more than water.

Dutchie

I realize this question is not directed at me, but I want to chime in and say that I do not trust RO systems. I don't trust that the water sitting in the reservoir tank is clean. I feel like it could have bacteria after a while. Water sitting in any filters/housings after the RO and the tank seems risky to me. I don't like the idea of maintenance with something like this, letting things get built up over time, can't see what's happening, and then changing filters and thinking everything is good to go.

But I really like RO and then distilling it cause it keeps my distiller from needing frequent descaling.

A gallon of water usually lasts me 2-3 days. I like the milk from the cow filter a lot more than water.
Yeah, I can understand the tank part. I'm far from a RO system expert so I could be wrong, but I think I've seen systems that don't have/require a tank....also with the countertop RO systems, you can immediately pour the water in a glass jug or something when it's done.

OP
O

Omen

Just get a Megahome product. It's less than the $650 you mentioned and it's apparently the "standard bearer" for at-home distillation. I've asked for one for Father's Day, so fingers crossed that I get it.

Downside is that it has a relatively small capacity. If you need to do 5 gallons at a time, you'll have to seek a different product.
This is actually the one I'm looking at. In my country $650 is the cheapest I have been able to find so far (with the glass collection jar), I will keep looking. Maybe I should buy it internationally and have it shipped.

I probably only average 2L a day so it will be plenty for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

Omen

What shortcomings does your RO system have that you feel would be addressed by distilling? Maybe you could keep the current system and address the issue separately rather than starting over. Both are stripping any minerals/solids (both the good and the bad) but the RO gets rid of more undesirables.

As far as chlorine; my understanding is yes, the chloramines used to treat water, as well as anything else with a boiling temp at or below the temp your distilling at, would remain.
It's been great and I would happily stay with my current system, even though it is on the pricier side at ~$300 maintenance a year but I've attempted to move addresses twice and after setting up and running the unit at the new address I got a lot of negative symptoms and got really inflamed and constipated. Brain fog immediately and joint issues. Even the business owner was confused as he is quite knowledgeable and he said I could try installing another filter during next service.

At current address no issues, as well as many before it.

OP
O

Omen

As some have mentioned I could do reverse osmosis >> distiller... maybe I could also get away with a cheaper distiller since the water should already be close to pure.

As far as the lack of minerals go, it's never been an issue for me. I don't overdrink water and I try to get my minerals from food.

OP
O

Omen

(in order to save money I had to resort to packaged mineralwater this Winter, which likely isnt that pure,so the joke's on me. I probably would've even been better off with a gravity filter like a Berkey. Not to mention that my distiller might be broken, i always have a splash of water around the can and distiller and don't see where it's coming from.)

I do love my RO unit but as mentioned when I've moved addresses I've actually had issues with the water, same as I would if I went to the supermarket and bought water from the shelf. I'm really sensitive.

It makes zero sense to me as before this occurred I would have thought the source water shouldn't matter, the end result should always be (roughly) the same... so that is why I have been looking at distilled. I'm living with family at the moment and I would love to be able to get my own place but I can't until I have a reliable water source as it has happened twice now at different addresses.

OP
O

Omen

I'm also using the Megadome that cremes mentioned for ~5 years. I would recommend the 316 steel version: Megahome 316 Stainless Steel - Megahome

Donwside is only that it is only enough for 1 person, if you drink ~3 liter/day and cook.

In terms of contaminants - it's pretty straightforward: you end up definitely with zero metals/mineral. However, organic stuff, pesticides etc., will be still inside. Therefore all distillers come with an activated charcoal end piece. But as all (or most, I'm not 100% sure) organic stuff have lower boiling points than water, they will be enriched in the first water that comes out. I'm collecting the first 0.3 liters separately and discard.
The contaminants you speak of that remain, is that with the boiling method I mentioned or even with the Megahome unit?

Sphagnum

It's been great and I would happily stay with my current system, even though it is on the pricier side at ~$300 maintenance a year but I've attempted to move addresses twice and after setting up and running the unit at the new address I got a lot of negative symptoms and got really inflamed and constipated. Brain fog immediately and joint issues. Even the business owner was confused as he is quite knowledgeable and he said I could try installing another filter during next service.

At current address no issues, as well as many before it.
What brand/unit do you have that the yearly maintenance is so high?? I’m assuming it’s a whole house unit?

My under the sink unit was that price total, and filters aren’t bad for price.

Could your system have become contaminated inside?

OP
O

Omen

What brand/unit do you have that the yearly maintenance is so high?? I’m assuming it’s a whole house unit?

My under the sink unit was that price total, and filters aren’t bad for price.

Could your system have become contaminated inside?
PureMagic.com.au - even a lot of the reviews complain of it being expensive (because it is). The unit cost $700, my family purchased it for me when my health first declined and they paid the maintenance for the first couple of years as I wasn't able to work which I'm very grateful for. Now looking for an alternative mostly because of the issues it's giving me at some addresses but also would be good to get something that is better value.

It's possible but if that was the case wouldn't it give me issues at every address? Where I currently live it seems to filter it fine, no taste or smell, and the water agrees with me. When it doesn't the difference is night and day.

Sphagnum

PureMagic.com.au - even a lot of the reviews complain of it being expensive (because it is). The unit cost $700, my family purchased it for me when my health first declined and they paid the maintenance for the first couple of years as I wasn't able to work which I'm very grateful for. Now looking for an alternative mostly because of the issues it's giving me at some addresses but also would be good to get something that is better value.

It's possible but if that was the case wouldn't it give me issues at every address? Where I currently live it seems to filter it fine, no taste or smell, and the water agrees with me. When it doesn't the difference is night and day.

That’s the system I have. Looks like it would be about $530 aus dollars (I’m assuming you’re in Australia based on the other link.) It’s simple to install and service yourself (at least it is here in the US, I don’t know how different the plumbing systems are?) and none of the filters are proprietary so you can find replacements cheaper than the original site if you shop around.

It’s a strange situation to figure out there. Did he service it at the address with bad results, and it was still bad until you moved? I was thinking maybe something (bacteria, fungus, etc) got into the system/lines when exposed to the environment when moving and grew inside.
So many factors that you can’t test since you moved again, but I’m glad you’re better either way.

OP
O

Omen

That’s the system I have. Looks like it would be about $530 aus dollars (I’m assuming you’re in Australia based on the other link.) It’s simple to install and service yourself (at least it is here in the US, I don’t know how different the plumbing systems are?) and none of the filters are proprietary so you can find replacements cheaper than the original site if you shop around.

It’s a strange situation to figure out there. Did he service it at the address with bad results, and it was still bad until you moved? I was thinking maybe something (bacteria, fungus, etc) got into the system/lines when exposed to the environment when moving and grew inside.
So many factors that you can’t test since you moved again, but I’m glad you’re better either way.
Yeah I'm in Australia so when I say maintenance is $300 it's more like US$200. In regards to servicing and maintenance I'm not sure how proprietary my unit is but it's taken to the business and there they perform the servicing there. I have noticed the price tends to be higher depending on which owner is there, so 50% or more of the costs are most likely inflated labour. Another reason to try and get away from the unit. It wasn't serviced at the new address, I took it there and used it for a while - noticed how negatively it was affecting my health (brain fog, constipation, flushing on face, joint pain) and tried his recommendation of running it overnight to flush it and nothing improved the end result.

That's a really nice looking unit. I will look more into it, thanks.

How much do you spend yearly on replacement parts, etc?

Sphagnum

Yeah I'm in Australia so when I say maintenance is $300 it's more like US$200. In regards to servicing and maintenance I'm not sure how proprietary my unit is but it's taken to the business and there they perform the servicing there. I have noticed the price tends to be higher depending on which owner is there, so 50% or more of the costs are most likely inflated labour. Another reason to try and get away from the unit. It wasn't serviced at the new address, I took it there and used it for a while - noticed how negatively it was affecting my health (brain fog, constipation, flushing on face, joint pain) and tried his recommendation of running it overnight to flush it and nothing improved the end result.

That's a really nice looking unit. I will look more into it, thanks.

How much do you spend yearly on replacement parts, etc?
The reaction was only happening after you used water from the system? I know on my system you can can do a fairly simple disinfectant process with a teaspoon or so of bleach into the first stage (filters removed) and then after letting it run and sit, you flush, put the filters back in, and flush 2 more times.
My parents had bought a whole house water softener system that came with a “bonus” RO system for under the kitchen sink. It took proprietary filters and they wouldn’t let you maintenance it yourself despite it being simple. I bought them the same system as my own to save them the money and hassle.

For mine, there are 5 filter stages. They only recommend changing the first 3 filter stages once a year. The other 2 stages are much longer. Even after a year, with my source water being decent, that is overkill so I do every 18 months (it came with a free tds meter to check levels of what’s dissolved in there, and I have aquarium strips to help gauge whatever else might be in there.)
I just checked Amazon. A set of the 3 filters from the manufacturer is $50 usd. These are made with high specs in place. As I mentioned, these are not proprietary, so you can find after market sets from $21 usd and up. You can also just buy a 6 pack of each filter type (it takes one sediment filter and 2 carbon filters at a time) for about $23/set and then you have all you need for at least 3 years for $46 total.
That is also basically all the maintenance needed and you can do it yourself in about 10 minutes. The only tools are a plastic wrench that comes with it to screw/unscrew the filter housing, and I use a pair of disposable gloves when handling the new filters as to not contaminate them/the system.

OP
O

Omen

The reaction was only happening after you used water from the system? I know on my system you can can do a fairly simple disinfectant process with a teaspoon or so of bleach into the first stage (filters removed) and then after letting it run and sit, you flush, put the filters back in, and flush 2 more times.
My parents had bought a whole house water softener system that came with a “bonus” RO system for under the kitchen sink. It took proprietary filters and they wouldn’t let you maintenance it yourself despite it being simple. I bought them the same system as my own to save them the money and hassle.

For mine, there are 5 filter stages. They only recommend changing the first 3 filter stages once a year. The other 2 stages are much longer. Even after a year, with my source water being decent, that is overkill so I do every 18 months (it came with a free tds meter to check levels of what’s dissolved in there, and I have aquarium strips to help gauge whatever else might be in there.)
I just checked Amazon. A set of the 3 filters from the manufacturer is $50 usd. These are made with high specs in place. As I mentioned, these are not proprietary, so you can find after market sets from $21 usd and up. You can also just buy a 6 pack of each filter type (it takes one sediment filter and 2 carbon filters at a time) for about $23/set and then you have all you need for at least 3 years for $46 total.
That is also basically all the maintenance needed and you can do it yourself in about 10 minutes. The only tools are a plastic wrench that comes with it to screw/unscrew the filter housing, and I use a pair of disposable gloves when handling the new filters as to not contaminate them/the system.
Wow that's crazy and awesome. I am getting ripped off really...

Yeah the reaction was after filtering. Recently I tried another address as I was wanting to move out on my own, I set it up (didn't let it run) and just filtered a bottle of water to try for later. As soon as I consumed I got really bad brain fog and things got worse over the next hour or so. After going back to my regular source things normalised quickly.

Appreciate this information. You've inspired me to stick with RO but to make the necessary changes. Also I'm going to start monitoring water quality using TDS as you mentioned and see if there is a correlation between water I react to and what the baseline is for my normal source.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals