Distilled Water

OP
O

Omen

That’s the system I have. Looks like it would be about $530 aus dollars (I’m assuming you’re in Australia based on the other link.) It’s simple to install and service yourself (at least it is here in the US, I don’t know how different the plumbing systems are?) and none of the filters are proprietary so you can find replacements cheaper than the original site if you shop around.

It’s a strange situation to figure out there. Did he service it at the address with bad results, and it was still bad until you moved? I was thinking maybe something (bacteria, fungus, etc) got into the system/lines when exposed to the environment when moving and grew inside.
So many factors that you can’t test since you moved again, but I’m glad you’re better either way.
So I'm looking at ordering this unit over the next couple of weeks. The site has the unit listed for US$209 which would be ~$310 plus international postage.

Just wondering where you derived the $530 amount from? Also, on top of the unit do you think there is anything else I should add to the order (filters, water tester, etc..)?

:M :B.

So I'm looking at ordering this unit over the next couple of weeks. The site has the unit listed for US$209 which would be ~$310 plus international postage.

Just wondering where you derived the $530 amount from? Also, on top of the unit do you think there is anything else I should add to the order (filters, water tester, etc..)?
If the RO unit doesn't specify that is has a high efficiency RO membrane ( like a 1:1 ratio for waste water to RO water) then most likely you will be wasting a ton more water than you are making. I have been using a super cheap RO unit for a year now and I decided to pull the waste water line out from the drain pipe and run it into a large bucket. I then emptied one gallon of water from the RO storage tank and then let it fill back up again. My waste water was 6.5 gallons to refill the 1 gallon I took from the tank.

I recently purchased a RO membrane to replace the crappy one on the cheap RO setup: Amazon product ASIN B098KL3H86View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098KL3H86?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It's supposed to waste much less water. It was very easy to swap it out I didn't even need to buy any parts or fittings. I will test for the amount of waste water on this new membrane one of these days.

I still highly believe in distilling the RO water. I'm in full maximum hard to kill mode since everything is poison planet now. I think the RO setups usually have carbon filter as the last step before it hits the faucet and I bet there are super small carbon bits that get in the finished product...at first, or for a while, or who knows. When I took apart the RO membrane I opened it up and inspected it, saw a some debris/build up on the housing on the good side of the RO membrane. Nothing stays pristine.

I think it would be cool to write down how much waste water it made per gallon when the unit is new and then do it again after a year or something. Just to see the data on that and see if the RO membrane gets clogged up a bit or whatever. i plant to do this with my new membrane.

OP
O

Omen

Okay so I've been doing some thinking and I believe my original plan is the best option for me right now.

My biggest priority is moving to a better location, probably on my own for now. So having to worry about a RO system during this transition won't be viable in the short-term. The unit recommended by Sphagnum I am going to purchase once I've settled in somewhere but in the meantime I need to figure out a practical way to get clean water.

Any thoughts on a cheap unit like this?

Even if it only lasted me 18 months I would consider that I got my money's worth. Also at the moment I'm not drinking too much water, mostly just to have with my black coffees. I really am only drinking plain water first thing in the morning when I wake up, usually only a cup.

OP
O

Omen

$350 quote for international shipping on this unit so would have to try and find someone that sells it in AU.

S.Holmes

Okay so I've been doing some thinking and I believe my original plan is the best option for me right now.

My biggest priority is moving to a better location, probably on my own for now. So having to worry about a RO system during this transition won't be viable in the short-term. The unit recommended by Sphagnum I am going to purchase once I've settled in somewhere but in the meantime I need to figure out a practical way to get clean water.

Any thoughts on a cheap unit like this?

Even if it only lasted me 18 months I would consider that I got my money's worth. Also at the moment I'm not drinking too much water, mostly just to have with my black coffees. I really am only drinking plain water first thing in the morning when I wake up, usually only a cup.
I use 3 inexpensive distillers and this brand is one of them. I make carbon filters out of reusable cloth teabags filled with charcoal placed in the outlet to remove residual VOCS. I change the charcoal once a month.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals