Reverse osmosis not optimal for filtration?

frankmp0

This is something I've been thinking about. The claims about R.O. seem mixed and inconsistent. It filters pesticides, but it might not filter them completely. It filters nitrates, but it might not filter them completely. Personally, when I drank reverse osmosis water a couple months ago that I bought from whole foods, it tasted incredibly flat, no minerals.

Personally, I don't see ANY advantage to using reverse osmosis, when you could just distill and then remineralize. I think it's entirely possible that it might be letting certain contaminants through.

I am by no means an expert here, and this is not a very well informed post, just wanted to get a discussion going.

What do you guys think?

S.Holmes

This is something I've been thinking about. The claims about R.O. seem mixed and inconsistent. It filters pesticides, but it might not filter them completely. It filters nitrates, but it might not filter them completely. Personally, when I drank reverse osmosis water a couple months ago that I bought from whole foods, it tasted incredibly flat, no minerals.

Personally, I don't see ANY advantage to using reverse osmosis, when you could just distill and then remineralize. I think it's entirely possible that it might be letting certain contaminants through.

I am by no means an expert here, and this is not a very well informed post, just wanted to get a discussion going.

What do you guys think?
Here is a thread about the best ways to purify water. Distilled Water

GTW

There is also the issue of PFAS. Do they exist in water as nanoparticles? A review of filters effective for their removal listed several at 100%. A Berkey was one. I think the filter element is small pore ceramic dome with charcoal inside. This type of filter can be bought separately or with a kit to install in upper bucket draining into lower tank. The buckets can be metal or plastic. I don't consider PE to be hazardous but the lower reservoir for filtered water in DIY system could be glass. Must cut\drill a hole in the upper tank.
Ceramic and charcoal would remove all particles greater than a specified size including virus and bacteria. Charcoal would remove volatile and reactive molecules but not Ca, Mg, Li and similar minerals?
BTW, rainwater is not equivalent to water from a home distiller. May contain dmso and other less desirable sulfur compounds, mercury, other air pollution.

GTW

The local whole foods Coop sells ro water and sells coffee made with it. Their coffee is unpleasant.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I think the way RO filtration works is related to Prof. Gerald Pollack’s research on ‘Exclusion Zone’ water.

Supposedly, the membrane in the RO filter is hydrophilic, then it should produce this exclusion zone and this expelled out anything that isn’t water. So this purified water is then pushed through the membrane.

I have been using RO water filters for over 20 years and really like it. In addition, I add Zeta Aid three times a day, which strengthens the Zeta Potential of the blood.

GTW

Distilled is 100% the purest way to go when you research it.
It's a big relief to have it resolved with such certainty...
Pure and sterile perhaps not necessarily the most healthy?

Dapose

Forum Supporter
RO is fantastic way to filter water. Both RO and Distilled need an addition of carbon filtration for better taste and final purity.
And! Both need there storage tanks cleaned and emptied regularly!!! This is hugely missed by most people!
If you don’t empty the storage container daily and clean it thoroughly a couple times a year you will breed the most brutal parasitic pathogens that are tougher then nails. These pathogens can survive your storage tank (gut, colon) and mess you up!
All the manuals for these devices tell you to do this but no one does it including my mom. And including this plumber guy that came to my house. He said he’s been installing RO home filters for 20 years for people and has used one for 20 years. Then after I gave him this same spiel about the tanks needing to be cleaned he was alarmed! Said he’d never herd that from product reps ever! Then he alarmingly told me then he was going in for surgery the next week for colon cancer…
😳 😬 was my reaction.
Moms has had gut problems for 20 years too, totally hypothyroid…
I could never stand drinking her water when I go to her house. Years later when I learned all this from Robert Slovak the light wet off in my head!
Water is life.

LazloC

It's a big relief to have it resolved with such certainty...
Pure and sterile perhaps not necessarily the most healthy?
Just add in some minerals at some point thru the day and you’re good to go. H20labs.com talks about it if you want more info.

Last edited:

Peatress

You make a very good point @Dapose cleaning the system is very important. It's not fun to do and take a bit of time but it's worth it for the piece of mind.

toolhead

How does one clean the pressurized tank in say, the 6-stage iSpring system I own?

leeteeh

Distilled is best if you have a good enough distilled that releases the vocs. If you just get one off Amazon or eBay for a few hundred dollars those ones won’t get vocs and other things out. And the issue with R.O is the pressurised tank can be a issue with bacteria as they can’t be cleaned or ever fully emptied and so on. If you get a R.O that doesn’t have a pressurised holding tank you could avoid that issue. Something like aquatru countertop.

S.Holmes

Distilled is best if you have a good enough distilled that releases the vocs. If you just get one off Amazon or eBay for a few hundred dollars those ones won’t get vocs and other things out. And the issue with R.O is the pressurised tank can be a issue with bacteria as they can’t be cleaned or ever fully emptied and so on. If you get a R.O that doesn’t have a pressurised holding tank you could avoid that issue. Something like aquatru countertop.
Charcoal removes VOCS. Distillers, even the cheap ones, have a reservoir in the outlet for charcoal packets. I bought reusable tea bags (fabric) and charcoal and make my own, but you can also buy disposable ones.

What do you guys think?
When my husband and I looked into a water filter to remove fluoride we had a guy come over to give us information on an installed reverse osmoses system and we decided against it because he said it removed all of the minerals. The gravity filter does too, but not totally.

“Yes, an RO system will strip out the minerals… it will also remove a plethora of chemical and bacterial contaminants. So often, people get fixated on the wrong thing. Reverse Osmosis removes the largest spectrum of contaminants of any water treatment process and it does remove the minerals. However, water is not a significant source of minerals.”

“The ProOne G2.0 M filter is independently lab tested and proven to reduce/remove 200+ contaminants including fluoride, chlorine, chloramines, VOCs, bacteria, pharmaceuticals, lead and heavy metals, while leaving in beneficial minerals in tap water. The ProOne G2.0M filter is NSF/ANSI-42 component certified for quality assurance.”

cremes

I'm looking to add this guy to my gadget collection this Christmas.

Amazon product ASIN B000ANW7HQView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANW7HQ

From a link earlier in this thread about "what doctors say" there are some nice industrial-looking units but the cost is far far higher. $1000 to start and $2400 if you want to be able to store more than a gallon at a time.

I heard Ray say the RO is the only way to remove micro plastics.
Maybe he said that before this gravity filter came out, or he didn’t know about this one, but nevertheless RO isn’t the only way…

“ProOne gravity water filters can remove up to 99.999% of microplastics
so you can drink what you mean to drink – clean, refreshing water! The ProOne Traveler+ Gravity Water Filter is perfect for daily use and uses the ProOne G2. 0 series filter, the only NSF/ANSI-42 certified gravity filter.”

Peatress

Maybe he said that before this gravity filter came out, or he didn’t know about this one, but nevertheless RO isn’t the only way…

“ProOne gravity water filters can remove up to 99.999% of microplastics
so you can drink what you mean to drink – clean, refreshing water! The ProOne Traveler+ Gravity Water Filter is perfect for daily use and uses the ProOne G2. 0 series filter, the only NSF/ANSI-42 certified gravity filter.”

Cool. More choice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals