Reverse osmosis not optimal for filtration?

leeteeh

Charcoal removes VOCS. Distillers, even the cheap ones, have a reservoir in the outlet for charcoal packets. I bought reusable tea bags (fabric) and charcoal and make my own, but you can also buy disposable ones.
I don’t trust those tiny charcoal pockets enough to remove the vocs after multiple uses. I’ve had the same distillers and the water always has a very stranger after taste and smell compared to water distilled is a better distiller and R.O. I figured out it was the vocs and something else that the cheaper distillers do not get rid of that is stil in the water giving it the horrible taste and smell.

S.Holmes

I don’t trust those tiny charcoal pockets enough to remove the vocs after multiple uses. I’ve had the same distillers and the water always has a very stranger after taste and smell compared to water distilled is a better distiller and R.O. I figured out it was the vocs and something else that the cheaper distillers do not get rid of that is stil in the water giving it the horrible taste and smell.
That's why I make my own charcoal packets (or pack several smaller ones into the outlet). I run two distillers at once to keep up with household demand. The water tastes fine, and tds levels are zero. (Don't have a VOC tester.)

OP
F

frankmp0

I think I might have been wrong. Distillation only removes contaminants with higher boiling points than water. If you can boil the contaminants, they can evaporate into the air with the water, and end up in the distilled water.

I might be wrong, but this is my current understanding.

The main one that comes to mind is chloroform.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals