Water Softeners - Need Advice

5magicbeans

We are potentially moving to an area with very hard water. There is a water softener installed in the home. I understand the mechanism. But wondering if this is peat friendly or if anyone has experience with an alternative system.
Thanks!

it's fine, BUT...it has salt in it.

So what.

But the softener exchanges calcium ions for sodium ions...so it will be saltier.

There isn't any alternatives that I've really seen people use. I hear about big magnets and other stuff, but water softeners continue to work and be used everywhere there is hard water.

BTW you may want to test the water and see if you want a whole house filtration system also

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We are potentially moving to an area with very hard water. There is a water softener installed in the home. I understand the mechanism. But wondering if this is peat friendly or if anyone has experience with an alternative system.
Thanks!
I have one but I'm not sure if it's Peat friendly or not. I tried not using it at one point just because I thought I'd save a little money not buying the salt but it didn't work out too well. If I let it run low I get horrible mineral deposits in my sinks and tubs that are very hard to clean. My clothes, hair, skin and dishes seem too get cleaner too when I keep the softener up and running well.

Since I don't rely on my tap water as a dietary mineral source I decided not to worry about using it.

Adrian

Water softeners add sodium to water but is not relevant.
On the Internet you can read study hard water protective of the heart and circulatory system. it's interesting.
The biggest problem is the scale in the bathroom and taps.
Hard water contains calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate, they are good for us.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Well, I hate soft water both the taste and feel of never being able to the get soap off. I use vinegar for cleaning from time to time in hard water areas.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals