Sodium and water retention

RPDiciple

I have read and listened to all the interviews and articles from Ray when he talks about salt/sodium, water retention, hypothyroidism etc.
I have experimented with different sodium amounts. It clearly is helping with feeling overall better etc. Im currently consuming 20g of salt a day. I have noticed that it really gives me water retention in my lower body. My legs gets 20% bigger almost from water retention.
Does thyroid also help to regulate sodium and water balance so that if you increase salt intake it will better regulate it? even tho i know people with low temp and pulse needs more salt since they loose more. I have also read the salt fix and studies that haidut posts, and it seems like getting to much salt is almost never a problem since the body will regulate it and having more salt is wat better then having less. So thats why its frustrating with getting water retention from increasing the sodium. Even tho people are doing more then 20 grams of salt as well and not getting it and even helping.
So im really wondering why its causing the water retention and the mechanism behind it and what i can do to solve it. Anyone having success with getting ridd of their water retention? and yes i have tried it all with other minerals and all that jazz. There has to be something that is wrong or missing since sodium can cause such a change in the water retention i get. All the research about sodium suggests that it should not do that and decrease the water instead.

GAF

If you don't eat/drink it, you don't have to poop/pee/sweat/spit it out.

Pboy used to discuss excess tonicity on this forum. Nobody talks about it anymore.

Bad Linhat

I solved my water retention upping my potassium intake.
I don't measure my salt or water intake.
I salt to taste, drink to thirst, try to getting potassium from fresh fruits (and some potatoes) with a bit of potassium bicarbonate.
Beware that we must consume more sodium than potassium. Potassium in excess can stop your hearth!
I think that sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium must all be balanced

P

Peatness

I have read and listened to all the interviews and articles from Ray when he talks about salt/sodium, water retention, hypothyroidism etc.
I have experimented with different sodium amounts. It clearly is helping with feeling overall better etc. Im currently consuming 20g of salt a day. I have noticed that it really gives me water retention in my lower body. My legs gets 20% bigger almost from water retention.
Does thyroid also help to regulate sodium and water balance so that if you increase salt intake it will better regulate it? even tho i know people with low temp and pulse needs more salt since they loose more. I have also read the salt fix and studies that haidut posts, and it seems like getting to much salt is almost never a problem since the body will regulate it and having more salt is wat better then having less. So thats why its frustrating with getting water retention from increasing the sodium. Even tho people are doing more then 20 grams of salt as well and not getting it and even helping.
So im really wondering why its causing the water retention and the mechanism behind it and what i can do to solve it. Anyone having success with getting ridd of their water retention? and yes i have tried it all with other minerals and all that jazz. There has to be something that is wrong or missing since sodium can cause such a change in the water retention i get. All the research about sodium suggests that it should not do that and decrease the water instead.
Your question is pertinent to my concerns about sodium since Peating. I too have issues with fluid retentions. My electrolyte blood test always comes back as almost perfect, though sodium is usually on the low end of normal. I have to be cautious with salt because of hypertension. I have tried high and low salt but yet my hypertension persists. I have plenty of potassium, magnesium, and calcium. I supplement b vitamins and the fat soluble vitamins. I can’t work out what’s going on. I have come to the conclusion that the sodium must be tissue bound. Injured tissues do retention calcium and sodium. If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to comment.

OP
R

RPDiciple

I solved my water retention upping my potassium intake.
I don't measure my salt or water intake.
I salt to taste, drink to thirst, try to getting potassium from fresh fruits (and some potatoes) with a bit of potassium bicarbonate.
Beware that we must consume more sodium than potassium. Potassium in excess can stop your hearth!
I think that sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium must all be balanced
Did you have a long struggle with water retention before? what caused it? just to little potassium?
How much potassium are you getting? i cant solve it with just potassium, sodium is the one thing that realy regulate it for me.

Bad Linhat

Did you have a long struggle with water retention before? what caused it? just to little potassium?
How much potassium are you getting? i cant solve it with just potassium, sodium is the one thing that realy regulate it for me.
Before RP diet i was on a low carb/keto with zero added salt, i have some water retention.
When starting with RP diet (2,5 years ago) i started to reintroduce salt (and also carbs obviously) and my water retention initially increase.
It was only about 6 months ago that i start to pay attention to potassium and begin to supplement some.
I have to say that water retention, during RP diet, after the initial increase start to decrease very slowly, the addition of potassium decrease fast the remaining.
During the evolution of my RP diet i used more and more fresh fruits and less white sugar and canned concentrate fruit juice so i upped my potassium intake.
Now i keep up only with fresh fruits and freshly squeezed orange juice and i add to any meal about 700mg of potassium carbonate, without restricting sodium (i salt my meal to taste).
Dr. Peat write about water retention as a sign of inflammation, that may explain why my water retention start to decrease gradually during RP diet (depletion of PUFA, less muscle meat, more gelatin, more calcium and so on...)

Mike wolff

Bad Linhat

Most suggest 4,700 mg potassium are you taking more then that
As I previously said I don’t think there is a standard optimal value: it depends on your salt intake (and probably also on magnesium and calcium).

tigerlily96

If you don't eat/drink it, you don't have to poop/pee/sweat/spit it out.

Pboy used to discuss excess tonicity on this forum. Nobody talks about it anymore.
I miss Pboy..and I'm still trying with out my salt issues

peter88

I don’t have any water retention issues with unrefined salt while refined salt makes me very puffy

Mossy

I don’t have any water retention issues with unrefined salt while refined salt makes me very puffy
I would interpret refined salt as the Peat recommended canning salt and unrefined as the one he doesn't recommend, sea salt and those like it. Obviously, you can't argue with success,; I'm just curious if I'm getting your definitions correct.

peter88

I would interpret refined salt as the Peat recommended canning salt and unrefined as the one he doesn't recommend, sea salt and those like it. Obviously, you can't argue with success,; I'm just curious if I'm getting your definitions correct.
Yep. I’ve tried Morton’s canning over and over agai and it causes water retention, dry eyes, etc. I switch to unrefined White Sea salt and don’t have these issues.

Mossy

Yep. I’ve tried Morton’s canning over and over agai and it causes water retention, dry eyes, etc. I switch to unrefined White Sea salt and don’t have these issues.
Very interesting. I had a feeling the canning salt was making me feel bloated, puffy, and off as well, but I kept discounting it due to its very minimal make-up, and being Peat recommended.

P.S. I don't want to jump to conclusions and say that I know it's the canning salt, but I'm going to look into it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals