Vodka As Deodorant

M

marikay

For those who are using Vodka (or another type of alcohol) as deodorant, do you dilute the alcohol with distilled water or something before applying? Or do you use the alcohol straight up on your underarms?

Thanks.

didnt know you could use vodka as deodrant... nice i will give this a try.... although wont you smell like you are drinking.... lol... not sure this is good at work...

burtlancast

Nothing beats baking soda when it comes to deodorant. It kills on contact the bacterias causing the odors.

His effects on the skin even lasts for days.

But you need to apply it in a paste consistance-like.

Last edited:

CoolTweetPete

I rub just bicarbonate of soda and water on my armpits on a morning. No smell issues.

Mixing it with some coconut oil makes a kind of paste that sticks to the skin. I think some people have said adding zinc oxide to this mixture would increase how long it lasts by several days. Yet to try.

schultz

Alcohol works instantly for me. I use it in a spray bottle and spray it a couple times on each side and then rub my arms around a bit. I would use the highest % ethanol you can get at the store, which in Ontario is 75.5%. When I lived in the States there was one that was 95% I think, which doubled up as a shellac solvent.

DawN

Ah, yes, I love this forum, its the only one where such a broad range of different intersting people try to make some interesting thinking about alternative solutions to common all-too-human problems...

My style of "after-shower-whole-body-whiskin' " goes as follows: Take a bottle of rectificied ethanol (it's about 95% pure ethanol with very little impurities), dilute it 50/50 with an organic grown herbal tea (I have a bottle of thyme-alc-dilution and one with sage), after a shower with only warm water and a for you comfortable brush, take a natural fleece tissue, soak it in the herbal alc dilution an whisk your whole body with it. Feels really great, and you don't have to wipe you dry, the alc makes it much more easy to evaporate the wetness from your skin.

Due to a rustic, unrefined vegan diet I do not have so much a necessity in deodorizing myself, but I've tried for skin care purposes the mixture with some coconut oil and have to say that this, with some orange or lemon oil is a crazy effective, wellsmelling and pricey method of skin care and smell controll.

MistyH

I use milk of magnesia. My husband even uses it which is saying something. He used to use Speed Stick or another caustic brand.

keith

I use milk of magnesia. My husband even uses it which is saying something. He used to use Speed Stick or another caustic brand.
How does that work? Do you put it in a spray bottle, or just pour it in your hand and rub it in? How long does it last? I've been using a coconut oil, baking soda, and corn starch mix, which is pretty easy and extremely effective, but I have sensitive skin, and sometimes it is a little too harsh, so would consider an alternative, and this one sounds interesting. I suspect alcohol would be too harsh for my skin, same with just plain baking soda.

MistyH

I order re-usable roll on bottles and just pour it in. I add a couple of drops of essential oil but I'm rethinking that once I search the estrogenic value in my EO's. I haven't done any research yet but my "peat radar" says so...

tara

I assume milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide suspension/solution) is also caustic (alkaline)? Not sure if it's more or less so than baking soda.
I use baking soda in coconut oil too sometimes, and also sometimes find it a bit rough.

raypeatclips

I shake a bit (maybe a tsp) of bicarbonate of soda into my cupped hand, put water on it then just rub it on my armpit, do the same for the other. No issues whatsoever with this, evening after a hot day at work where I've sweat a lot, never noticed any smell.

miki14

I take straight vodka as an aftershave or I add niacinamide, caffeine and sodium benzoate for sun protection.

keith

I assume milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide suspension/solution) is also caustic (alkaline)? Not sure if it's more or less so than baking soda.
I use baking soda in coconut oil too sometimes, and also sometimes find it a bit rough.

Too early to say if it will work or not, but the last batch I made, I heated a little more and mixed it longer to make sure the dry ingredients were fully dissolved. In the past I'd grown accustomed to not doing that because it seems to settle better if it resolidifies quicker, but I think undisolved granules may have added to the irritation. That may help. Or not. I'm not sure yet; my skin irritation tends to come and go, so lack or current irritation may not be indicative of anything in particular relative to mixing it more completely. I must say, though, that it is no more irritating than anything else I've tried and more effective than any commercial (or otherwise) deodorant I've ever used.

Mountain

I tried ~%40 vodka but found that the deodorant effect didn't last the full day. I use bicarb and thoroughly wet my underarm before rubbing some around, then I rinse it off again. I find that this can last more than a day.

I also noticed that a magnesium chloride spray can keep odour down as well. And for those with skin fungus issues, I had tinea versicolor which went away after using magnesium chloride spray for a couple of weeks.

keith

OK, I am now in the Milk of Magnesia camp @MistyH and @tara . Super easy, works at least as well as my coconut oil/baking soda/starch mix, and doesn't seem at all irritating. Thanks for the tip Misty!

By the way, I just transfer it to a bottle with a small opening, pour a little on my hand, and rub it in.

MistyH

I'm glad it works for you @keith

Hubby was my best testimonial because he was using the 36-72 hour garbage

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals