Using Magnesium Hydroxide in DIY Toothpaste and Deodorant

tankasnowgod

I'm sure most people here avoid commercial toothpaste and deodorant, and some might make their own. I've been making my own toothpaste for a while, but always thought I could do better. In addition to just baking soda and salt, I've also used this "remineralizing" toothpaste-

It always seemed like it was missing a bit. I was thinking for that adding some magnesium might be good addition for the "remineralizing" part. Looking around, it looks like some forms of Magnesium (like oxide) have some antibacterial properties-

Plus, some people on youtube mention that Magnesium Hydroxide (or Milk of Magnesia, same thing) can be a good deodorant-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5gsAH1Rfo4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2L3UxgOqN8

I made a little bit of the Magnesium Hydroxide deodorant (using just Hydrogenated Coconut Oil and Mag Hydroxide powder), and it's worked pretty well the past week. I have used baking soda based deodorants in the past, and did start to get a rash after a while, and no rash or irritation with the Mag so far. Most important, it works.

So, I got to thinking..... since the baking soda is there for an antibiotic effect, what if I just ditch that and use Mag Hydroxide instead in a DIY toothpaste? So, I took used the basic natural toothpaste recipe, and tweaked it, also adding some things I've been thinking about for a while. Here it is, might tweak it more in the future.

SUPER MINERAL TOOTHPASTE

2 heaping tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate
2 heaping tablespoons of Magnesium Hydroxide
1 heaping tablespoon of Xylitol
Coconut oil, enough to mix in all the powder.
5 drops Kuinone (for about 10mg K2 MK-4)
3 drops of Camphosal (for added antibiotic effect)

The early returns are good. It feels better than the previous batch I made. I've wanted to add K2 for extra absorption in local mouth tissues, and maybe teeth, for a while now. I may add Vitamin D to the next batch, for similar reasons. I noticed excellent results using a drop of Camphosal as a deodorant, and thought that antibacterial action would be good for a toothpaste, too.
Oh, one note.... if you use this toothpaste (or any coconut oil toothpaste), don't spit it into your sink. Get some sort of jar or container you can collect it. The coconut oil, calcium and magnesium are excellent at clogging up drain pipes, too. I think a little is fine, but I'll be sure to pour boiling water down the drain every month or so.

@haidut @Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm sure most people here avoid commercial toothpaste and deodorant, and some might make their own. I've been making my own toothpaste for a while, but always thought I could do better. In addition to just baking soda and salt, I've also used this "remineralizing" toothpaste-

It always seemed like it was missing a bit. I was thinking for that adding some magnesium might be good addition for the "remineralizing" part. Looking around, it looks like some forms of Magnesium (like oxide) have some antibacterial properties-

Plus, some people on youtube mention that Magnesium Hydroxide (or Milk of Magnesia, same thing) can be a good deodorant-

I made a little bit of the Magnesium Hydroxide deodorant (using just Hydrogenated Coconut Oil and Mag Hydroxide powder), and it's worked pretty well the past week. I have used baking soda based deodorants in the past, and did start to get a rash after a while, and no rash or irritation with the Mag so far. Most important, it works.

So, I got to thinking..... since the baking soda is there for an antibiotic effect, what if I just ditch that and use Mag Hydroxide instead in a DIY toothpaste? So, I took used the basic natural toothpaste recipe, and tweaked it, also adding some things I've been thinking about for a while. Here it is, might tweak it more in the future.

SUPER MINERAL TOOTHPASTE

The early returns are good. It feels better than the previous batch I made. I've wanted to add K2 for extra absorption in local mouth tissues, and maybe teeth, for a while now. I may add Vitamin D to the next batch, for similar reasons. I noticed excellent results using a drop of Camphosal as a deodorant, and thought that antibacterial action would be good for a toothpaste, too.
Oh, one note.... if you use this toothpaste (or any coconut oil toothpaste), don't spit it into your sink. Get some sort of jar or container you can collect it. The coconut oil, calcium and magnesium are excellent at clogging up drain pipes, too. I think a little is fine, but I'll be sure to pour boiling water down the drain every month or so.

@haidut @Blossom

This sounds fantastic! I’d love to try making it myself. Thank you.

Mossy

SUPER MINERAL TOOTHPASTE

@haidut @Blossom

We're talking about adding calcium hydroxyapatite on this thread. May interest you to add it to your mix.

freyasam

Gonna try this -- both deodorant and toothpaste. Baking soda in deo makes my skin inflammed. And I've had a lot of dental issues so always looking to fight decay.

Re: calcium hydroxyapatite I've read there are some issues with the nanoparticles being toxic. Not sure I have that right but there was some issue with it.

-Luke-

SUPER MINERAL TOOTHPASTE

Do you dissolve the Xylitol in water or grind it? The Xylitol I buy has a pretty big particle size (like the white sugar from supermarkets). Thank you!

(Sorry if this question was already answered in the video. Youtube is blocked on my computer).

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Do you dissolve the Xylitol in water or grind it?
Personally, I don't do either, and the Xylitol I have is of bigger particles, similar to what you describe. I don't know how well dissolving in water would work, as you would have to make an emulsion.

Mossy

Gonna try this -- both deodorant and toothpaste. Baking soda in deo makes my skin inflammed. And I've had a lot of dental issues so always looking to fight decay.

Re: calcium hydroxyapatite I've read there are some issues with the nanoparticles being toxic. Not sure I have that right but there was some issue with it.
I've heard the same, with regard to nano particles in general being toxic; penetrating too deeply into the various parts of the body. But, maybe it could be argued that the nano particles would get deep into the teeth.

I've purchased a supplement form of non-nano calcium hydroxyapatite, linked in my post above. I'm going to test it in various applications: dissolving it in mouthwash and tooth paste, and taking it orally, as this particular supplement was originally intended. Some reviewers for the supplement note they do use it in toothpaste, and one person noted he opened a capsule and chewed on it after brushing.

Judd Crane

SUPER MINERAL TOOTHPASTE

@haidut @Blossom
Great stuff!

What do you use to clean your hands/body? I have a castile soap that I like but I suspect it will clog the pipes.

freyasam

What source of magnesium hydroxide do people like?

Was debating the Life Giving Store or Bulk Supplements

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals