Safe Beauty Products

lindsay

Here's the dirt on Snail Mucus - it seems pretty legit if you are just letting them crawl on the face/skin. I should test this on my arms. Not willing to let them crawl on the Face yet :) Of course, getting a snail cream is the way to go - I've heard good things about them. A friend of mine uses a snail mucin eye cream and she said it really reduces eye puffiness.

Is Snail Mucin Really Good for Your Skin? - FutureDerm

I am curious about fractionated coconut oil. Michelle Villett, at Beauty Editor, is a fan of Ray Peat. She recommends this brand: http://beautyeditor.ca/2016/05/18/coconut-face-oil
But as far as I can tell, it is only available in Canada. Has anyone tried it?

I know you can get it in the US - it's used to mix with essential oils and other beauty products. Probably even sold on Amazon. Though I am not sure about that particular brand - I think NOW foods makes one though.

Lecarpetron

@Lin
I've been using Radha Beauty fractionated coconut oil (bought on Amazon in the US) as body lotion and it's getting the job done. I have very dry skin...although my current humid spring weather doesn't serve as good a testing condition as mid-winter, so far I really like it. It rubs in fast and isn't greasy at all. I mix it with progest-E, too for topical application.

Lin

@Lecarpetron Thanks! I was looking for a fractionated coconut oil that sinks in and moisturizes. My massage therapist uses a fractionated coconut oil that is meant for massage, and it kind of sits on the surface and makes my skin all slick and slipery, before absorbing very slowly. This one sounds like it would do the trick!

scarlettsmum

What is fractionated coconut oil? Is it MCT? I too have very dry skin and resorted to using Vaseline overnight. Although not ideal, my skin loves it and the results are long lasting. In the morning I use solban followed by estroban and by recently discovered BB cream by Bare Minerals which is gorgeous and luminous on the skin and the ingredients are mostly botanical. It also contains hylauronic acid. Complexion Rescue Tinted Gel Cream | bareMinerals UK

Lecarpetron

@Lin the one I mentioned is marketed as a massage oil, but at least for me, it seems to sink right in and isn't sticky. It's only 10 bucks, may be worth a try.

@scarlettsmum BareMinerals BB cream ingredients list seems a little scary. It may very well be mostly botanical and the scientific names sound more chemical-based than they actually are:
Active Ingredients: Titanium dioxide 6.2% Inactive Ingredients: water, coconut alkanes, propanediol, squalane, trehalose, isostearic acid, glycerin, silica, agar, caprylic/capric triglyceride, globularia cordifolia callus culture extract, salicornia herbacea extract, melilotus officinalis extract, coco-caprylate/caprate, butylene glycol, lauroyl lysine, sodium hyaluronate, succinoglycan, polysorbate 60, cellulose gum, polyglyceryl-4 laurate/succinate, sorbitan sesquiisostearate, magnesium stearate, magnesium hydroxide, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol. may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Also, I've become a fan of 100% Pure powder foundation, not sure if available outside the US:
Amazon.com : 100% Pure: Healthy Flawless Skin Foundation Powder with Spf 20 White Peach, .32 oz, All Natural Formula Packed Full of Anti Aging Vitamins, Antioxidants, Eucalyptus, Soothing Calendula and Chamomile : Foundation Makeup : Beauty

Lecarpetron

There's a brick and mortar 100% Pure store near me, so I color matched in person. I think there are only 4 or 5 shades, so it wouldn't be too difficult to guess. Not sure about the flax seed oil, but I'm assuming the quantity in this powder is hardly the weakest link in my overall PUFA consumption :D

HDD

Thanks!@Lecarpetron I think I'll give it a go since the ingredients are way better than what I'm currently using.

Beehelp

I remember a few years ago I suffered from a hair fall. There were a couple of reasons for that, including fever, stress. But I also started reading about shampoos and was surprised about the ingredients. So I gave up using shampoos for a half of a year. And it worked. I used herbs, mustard, eggs, honey. Then I refused using creams and soap. Just made my own, using natural oils, honey and beeswax

golder

Would someone help compare Shea butter and Cocoa butter for me. I’m trying to work out which one is safer over the long term as a moisturiser. Is it as simple as looking st which one has the least PUFA? Thanks.

Nicole W.

Can anyone recommend a natural facial moisturizer? Been using a tiny bit of coconut oil lately, but would like to see what others use.
I personally like washed ghee. It’s a thousands of years old Ayurvedic tradition/preparation that is easy enough to create at home. It’s just desi ghee that has been rinsed repeatedly to eliminate odors and impurities. The final product is a light, odorless emulsion that has all the vitamins normally found in ghee intact. You can fragrance it if you like with a hydrosol. It’s pretty wonderful for problem or sensitive skin and, for those people concerned about chemicals or additives, it’s really just two ingredients: ghee and water.

Nicole W.

Would someone help compare Shea butter and Cocoa butter for me. I’m trying to work out which one is safer over the long term as a moisturiser. Is it as simple as looking st which one has the least PUFA? Thanks.
Both of these products are pretty heavy so I wouldn’t recommend for the face if you’re looking for a moisturizer. The main problem with using Shea or cocoa butter alone is that they get pretty hard in the winter. Especially the cocoa butter. Usually people create a blend with these ingredients with softer butters or oils to overcome the hardness. In terms of safety both are very safe. Cocoa butter has more stearic acid than Shea butter which gives it an advantage.

golder

/
Both of these products are pretty heavy so I wouldn’t recommend for the face if you’re looking for a moisturizer. The main problem with using Shea or cocoa butter alone is that they get pretty hard in the winter. Especially the cocoa butter. Usually people create a blend with these ingredients with softer butters or oils to overcome the hardness. In terms of safety both are very safe. Cocoa butter has more stearic acid than Shea butter which gives it an advantage.
Perfect, thanks so much for the detail. What would you recommend for a facial moisturiser?

Nicole W.

/
Perfect, thanks so much for the detail. What would you recommend for a facial moisturiser?
Well, it depends on the route you want to go. My all natural option is something I make myself: washed ghee. It’s basically an emulsion of water and ghee that retains all the valuable oil soluble vitamins, especially Vitamin A. It’s much better than it sounds as putting butter on your face never sounds like a good idea. But honestly, it’s a very good option for problem or sensitive skin. Ayurvedic practitioners have been using it for thousands of years because the stuff works. It’s a very light moisturizer, absorbs completely and is worry free in terms of risky ingredients.
Alternatively, if you are more flexible in terms of ingredients, want something more cosmeceutical-like, but are still hoping for natural-ish ingredients... I really love the Body Deli:
RAW BEAUTY - Organic Skin, Hair and Body Care Crafted with Raw, Living, Superfoods I think they are just great in terms of fairly safe and effective face/body products. They are based in the Palm Springs area.

southcesar

I always look on CosDna to evaluate before buying. Obviously we won't have PUFA as something dangerous on the site, but otherwise I think it's very useful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom