Vitamin A on testosterone and being Alpha

Hans

Forum Supporter

Another old article of mine that I re-wrote and update with more goodies.

TLDR: vitamin A enhances the sensitivity of the Leydig cells to LH, promotes steroidogenesis, increases dopamine sensitivity, inhibits the prolactin receptor, lowers cortisol, improves thyroid function, etc.

A few years ago I did a very low vit A diet for more than 1 year and can't say I've noticed any benefits. I did however have bad dandruff, bacne and food sensitivities at that time, which might have been related to the low A. After supplementing with A, I did notice a warm calming effect. Since then I've never supplemented with A again, but have consistently ate beef/lamb liver for my A and other T boosting vitamins and minerals.
What's been your vit A experience?

Peater

Great article Hans, do you know how long the body can store Vit A for? (Assuming no crazy levels of Vit D supplementing or excessive drinking etc)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great article Hans, do you know how long the body can store Vit A for? (Assuming no crazy levels of Vit D supplementing or excessive drinking etc)
Thanks man. Some studies say it's 12 days (R). Maybe it's to a similar extent as vit D since both are fat soluble. If you don't get sun in the winter, vit D will be on the low side at the start of summer. Perhaps when you stop eating vit A, levels will drop quickly over 3-4 months.
Vit A is also excreted in the bile and urine, so it's not like the body can't get rid of it.

youngsinatra

I still react very badly to vitamin A, but I have diagnosed hypervitaminosis A, so not everybody is in the same situation as I am.

I get headaches, my mouth dries up like crazy, I feel dizzy and my vision gets blurry when I eat high vitamin A foods.. even watermelon does that to me which I used to eat every summer :(

I need to get my vitamin A measured soon as I am close to 2 years on a low-A diet. My latest serum retinol in december 2022 was 0.92 mg/L (ref: 0.30-0.60) And I started with 0.87 mg/L in november 2021, so once you are saturated with it, it takes a long time to get rid of it.

My serum retinol paradoxically peaked in April 2022 at 1.08 mg/L, roughly 6 months after starting a low-A diet.

Last edited:

sunny

I still react very badly to vitamin A, but I have diagnosed hypervitaminosis A, so not everybody is in the same situation as I am.

I get headaches, my mouth dries up like crazy, I feel dizzy and my vision gets blurry when I eat high vitamin A foods.. even watermelon does that to me which I used to eat every summer :(

I need to get my vitamin A measured soon as I am close to 2 years on a low-A diet. My latest serum retinol in december 2022 was 0.92 mg/L (ref: 0.30-0.60) And I started with 0.87 mg/L in november 2021, so once you are saturated with it, it takes a long time to get rid of it.

My serum retinol paradoxically peaked in April 2022 at 1.08 mg/L, roughly 6 months after starting a low-A diet.
We're you supplementing A, eating alot of liver, neither, something else?

sunny

Supplementing and eating liver.
Considering how much you were supplementing, do you feel eating liver once every week or two, as suggested by Ray , maybe even once a month would have been plenty to keep an adequate body reserve?

youngsinatra

Considering how much you were supplementing, do you feel eating liver once every week or two, as suggested by Ray , maybe even once a month would have been plenty to keep an adequate body reserve?
I personally don't think you need to eat liver at all. Even 4 oz. of beef liver per week, equals to around 5000 IUs of retinol per day on average + most people get plenty of vitamin A on top of that through milk, dairy, eggs and different plant foods.

I think 2-3000 IUs of vitamin A is likely safe per day. At least that's the point, where the best bone mineral density has been seen. Beyond that (but even below the official upper limit) and you already see much lowered bone mineral density, which is not something I find desirable.

Plant foods have ZERO vitamin A.

They are loaded with carotenes. Many of us don’t convert carotenes into our own A. And carotenes can inhibit thyroid and metabolic rate.

My experience with A is 100% good. I eat liver a few times a month, and am not afraid to supplement with vitamin A ocasIonally.

sunny

I personally don't think you need to eat liver at all. Even 4 oz. of beef liver per week, equals to around 5000 IUs of retinol per day on average + most people get plenty of vitamin A on top of that through milk, dairy, eggs and different plant foods.

I think 2-3000 IUs of vitamin A is likely safe per day. At least that's the point, where the best bone mineral density has been seen. Beyond that (but even below the official upper limit) and you already see much lowered bone mineral density, which is not something I find desirable.
How long was the period you were supplementing and eating liver? What was your supplement amount daily? Good info, btw, of how it affected your levels. This will probably be helpful for others reading, especially if they are not able to get blood tests.

youngsinatra

How long was the period you were supplementing and eating liver? What was your supplement amount daily? Good info, btw, of how it affected your levels. This will probably be helpful for others reading, especially if they are not able to get blood tests.
50'000 IU supplemental vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) + 1 oz. beef liver per day. For roughly 12 months.

sunny

50'000 IU supplemental vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) + 1 oz. beef liver per day. For roughly 12 months.
Oh, wow, that is alot. Good to know. Hopefully your experience will help people see food is enough in most cases.

I remember Ray saying in an interview that liver is anti- thyroid. I don't remember which interview, and I was surprised, and I don't remember his reasoning. So I guess that is one reason he recommends a couple ounces once a week, maybe less often- often enough for its nutrition, not often enough to affect thyroid.

youngsinatra

Oh, wow, that is alot. Good to know. Hopefully your experience will help people see food is enough in most cases.

I remember Ray saying in an interview that liver is anti- thyroid. I don't remember which interview, and I was surprised, and I don't remember his reasoning. So I guess that is one reason he recommends a couple ounces once a week, maybe less often- often enough for its nutrition, not often enough to affect thyroid.
Yes. I think due to my excess vitamin A, I'm dependent on thyroid medication to avoid hypothyroidism, as vitamin A in excess reduces the conversion of iodine to thyroxine. In rat models of hypervitaminosis A, rats typically develop hypothyroidism.

Jayvee

For anyone who doesnt enjoy liver like me, I have started eating smaller amounts of liver daily (25g) instead of larger amounts less frequently and it's way easier to mix with other foods/flavours. So glad I have found a way to do it because I have now have more energy, better mood, better focus and more appetite.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
For anyone who doesnt enjoy liver like me, I have started eating smaller amounts of liver daily (25g) instead of larger amounts less frequently and it's way easier to mix with other foods/flavours. So glad I have found a way to do it because I have now have more energy, better mood, better focus and more appetite.
Is there a special way you prep it?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

I wonder how much of the vit A overload in your case isn't due to low thyroid hormone/action, since hyperthyroid individuals have much lower vit A than euthyroid and hypothyroid individuals.
This makes it really difficult to manage liver and copper.

Peater

Thanks man. Some studies say it's 12 days (R). Maybe it's to a similar extent as vit D since both are fat soluble. If you don't get sun in the winter, vit D will be on the low side at the start of summer. Perhaps when you stop eating vit A, levels will drop quickly over 3-4 months.
Vit A is also excreted in the bile and urine, so it's not like the body can't get rid of it.

Thanks Hans.

Jayvee

Is there a special way you prep it?

I cut it up and freeze it in small cubes in a ice cube tray, remove one the night before and eat it in the morning. I dice mine up and mix with bbq sauce and parmesan. Works a treat 👌

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I cut it up and freeze it in small cubes in a ice cube tray, remove one the night before and eat it in the morning. I dice mine up and mix with bbq sauce and parmesan. Works a treat 👌
Nice! Do you melt the cheese or just take a bit from the block?

Jayvee

Nice! Do you melt the cheese or just take a bit from the block?

I'm usually in a rush because I have a toddler so I just end up crumbling it ontop. I find the flavour of the parmesan good for neutralising the liver flavour. I have it on a rice cake too sometimes, kinda like a mini bbq pizza, sometimes my toddler will a little bite then too

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals