Using Vitamins (biotin) For Improving Glucose Control

skycop00

Yes and no. I introduced this post since some people have blood sugar issues when getting on the Peat diet. That pathological reason is not the Peat diet but the fact that through years of burning fat they have become insulin resistant, so eating glucose initially results in high blood glucose. In other words, hypothyroid people have high adrenalin and cortisol and as such lose muscle, have high lipolysis and through the Randle cycle are unable to metabolize glucose properly. Some of the B vitamins, like biotin, are very helpful in maintaining proper glucose control and can help restore insulin sensitivity while the person works on lowering the stress hormones. I, personally, also had blood sugar issues back in 2012 when I first tried the Peat diet but they went away after a few months on 1,500mg niacinamide and high dose aspirin. So, if your insulin sensitivity is fine then you will have no problems with the Peat diet.
It's really that simple really. If you have chronic stress, your sympathetic system will be in overdrive and there may even be some adaptive changes so that it stays overactive even after months on the Peat diet. So, high adrenalin and high cortisol due to high stress will keep you insulin resistant until these hormones are lowered somehow and excessive lipolysis stops. How you lower stress hormones is a whole different issue. Some people do fine just by increasing sugar intake, other may need supplementation with aspirin and the B vitamins, and then others still may need anti-stress drugs like clonidine and cyproheptadine. Remember, insulin resistance is reversible, and has been done many times. Some of the most effective drugs are inhibitors of 11beta-HSD1, which is repsonsible for synthesizing cortisol. If the person is in the group where the Peat diet is making things worse, I would consider taking some of the vitamins and supplements mentioned on the forum, and if that does not work either it's time to talk to your doctor about clonidine/cyproheptadine/bromocriptine/lisuride and so on. Bromocriptine is approved for treating type II diabetes in the USA. Why do you think this is so? Because it lowers both adrenaline and cortisol and lowers free fatty acids.
So, my gripes with the Peat diet were due to my own ignorance at the time. With enough reading and experimentation you will find out the man is right just about 100% of the time.
Here is some other food for thought. If stress is really not good for us or for any of the studied animals so far then try to think about how valid is the hypothesis of "progress through stress and survival of the fittest".
Yes, I do mean the current theory of evolution and widely accepted business practices (purportedly modeled after evolution). There is no reasonable doubt about the validity of evolution as a theory of organisms evolving. I am questioning the part that is happens through constant stress and survival strain. How can you expect an organism to continuously evolve into a higher being if constant stress is the hallmark of regress??!
Very thoughtful response. Curious when you say in 2012 you were insulin resistant and after aspirin and niacinimide it WENT AWAY....what combination of factors did you evaluate to make that assessment? Labwork, loss of fat etc?

thegiantess

I'm just discovering this biotin thread. But I find myself asking the question (as always when it comes to these B vitamins), wouldn't just eating liver regularly solve this equation? The only thing I think it's missing B Vitamin wise is B1. I'm guessing it's not enough though for someone who is depleted.

I wonder the same thing about the B vitamins. They seem to cover such a wide swath of issues, but at what point is it too much, etc. There needs to be an entire Generative Energy on just B vitamins. Now if we can just bring Danny back from his hiatus..

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Very thoughtful response. Curious when you say in 2012 you were insulin resistant and after aspirin and niacinimide it WENT AWAY....what combination of factors did you evaluate to make that assessment? Labwork, loss of fat etc?

Labwork has always been "normal" according to the doctor except mildly elevated liver enzymes, which were normalized through caffeine and vitamin K2 supplementation. In my case it was mostly loss of belly fat and improvement of muscle recovery after exercise. Previously, when I tried to lose weight I would always lose muscle as well and by improving insulin sensitivity it seems that dieting and exercise are no longer necessary. I do pushups and pullups when I feel like it but that hardly qualifies as a workout.

skycop00

Labwork has always been "normal" according to the doctor except mildly elevated liver enzymes, which were normalized through caffeine and vitamin K2 supplementation. In my case it was mostly loss of belly fat and improvement of muscle recovery after exercise. Previously, when I tried to lose weight I would always lose muscle as well and by improving insulin sensitivity it seems that dieting and exercise are no longer necessary. I do pushups and pullups when I feel like it but that hardly qualifies as a workout.
Insulin resistance is certainly a "Mainstream" problem. Supplements designed to directly address this would be indicated. Do we have a thread on this..???

PhilParma

I've been battling blood sugar issues for 6+ months while transitioning to a higher carb diet. Daily cycles of brain fog and muscle fatigue that intensify as carb intake increases. Biotin has stabilized me over the last couple of weeks. ~30mg spread throughout the day feels like it has completely solved my blood sugar issues. Niacinamide/thiamine/B-Complex/aspirin didn't feel like they were helping much, even at high doses, and any form of caffeine exacerbated blood sugar swings. Biotin is the ***t.

PhilParma

Update a week later for posterity: biotin did not solve my blood sugar issues. Still have brain fog and light headedness. Biotin might be helping with fatigue though. The search continues.

Xisca

I introduced this post since some people have blood sugar issues when getting on the Peat diet. That pathological reason is not the Peat diet but the fact that through years of burning fat they have become insulin resistant, so eating glucose initially results in high blood glucose. In other words, hypothyroid people have high adrenalin and cortisol and as such lose muscle, have high lipolysis and through the Randle cycle are unable to metabolize glucose properly. Some of the B vitamins, like biotin, are very helpful in maintaining proper glucose control and can help restore insulin sensitivity while the person works on lowering the stress hormones. I, personally, also had blood sugar issues back in 2012 when I first tried the Peat diet but they went away after a few months on 1,500mg niacinamide and high dose aspirin. So, if your insulin sensitivity is fine then you will have no problems with the Peat diet.
It's really that simple really. If you have chronic stress, your sympathetic system will be in overdrive and there may even be some adaptive changes so that it stays overactive even after months on the Peat diet. So, high adrenalin and high cortisol due to high stress will keep you insulin resistant until these hormones are lowered somehow and excessive lipolysis stops. How you lower stress hormones is a whole different issue. Some people do fine just by increasing sugar intake, other may need supplementation with aspirin and the B vitamins, and then others still may need anti-stress drugs like clonidine and cyproheptadine. Remember, insulin resistance is reversible, and has been done many times.
I agree sooooo much with what you say!
But there are solutions before reaching the need of drugs.
I speak about somatic experiencing because I know it, but some go for tapping and eft or other methods, and they reléase long term blockage of energy that is kept inside the body, until the story is finish at autonomic level. It really is that the body is still waiting for an old stress to go away, there is some energy trapped inside us.

But I also agree with Nicholas that there are things that are wrong, and for me it does not work to replace fruits by sugar and orange juice. I agree with Peat, but I think that it is sometimes so difficult to implement such a diet, according to where you live or your Budget etc, that he has found cheap easy solutions, and that they do not work for all. If you have problems with assimilating fructose, then you have a problema with fructose and not with starch for example. And if your gut bacterias have gone awry, then you will also have problems with high sugar.

some diets are supplementation can be transitional, and this way is personal, according to personal issues.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
J

jb116

I desperately need an answer to this.
Biotin INCREASES the expression of CYP1B1...
this enzyme converts Estradiol into 2-alpha-Hydroxy Estradiol. This form of estrogen is linked to cancers and is generally regarded as a negative type.
And then also increases the chances of DNA breaks...
Biotin supplementation increases expression of the cytochrome P450 1B1 gene in Jurkat cells, increasing the occurrence of single-stranded DNA breaks. - PubMed - NCBI
What does this study have to do with real humans, living bodies, in a word: reality?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Biotin is the most effective acute way to lower blood sugar for me. I tested it many times with my glucose monitor. Up to 1mg is enough to do it for me.

Just cautious of higher doses impairing Spermatogenesis:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cga.12070

The doses used in this study were absolutely massive, yet the effects on spermatogenesis still only occurred at the highest dose of 1% biotin in diet. The HED for this concentration is 150mg/kg, which would be 10g-15g (yes, this is grams, not milligrams) for most people. The other doses were respectively HED of 15mg/kg and 1.5mg/kg. Even the smallest dose would be in the range of 100mg-150mg daily for a human, which is still pretty large amount but neither that dose nor the 15mg/kg dose had negative effects. This matches the recent human studies for MS with 300mg biotin daily, which also found no ill effects on reproductive system. So, for most people the 5mg-30mg daily shown to have potent glucose lowering effects should not be much of an issue, but of course I would start low and use the lowest dose that produces an effect.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
The doses used in this study were absolutely massive, yet the effects on spermatogenesis still only occurred at the highest dose of 1% biotin in diet. The HED for this concentration is 150mg/kg, which would be 10g-15g (yes, this is grams, not milligrams) for most people. The other doses were respectively HED of 15mg/kg and 1.5mg/kg. Even the smallest dose would be in the range of 100mg-150mg daily for a human, which is still pretty large amount but neither that dose nor the 15mg/kg dose had negative effects. This matches the recent human studies for MS with 300mg biotin daily, which also found no ill effects on reproductive system. So, for most people the 5mg-30mg daily shown to have potent glucose lowering effects should not be much of an issue, but of course I would start low and use the lowest dose that produces an effect.

I am still waiting for my friend to complete a Mice/Rat/Human conversion sheet. I know I've been lazy here.

Thanks for confirming legend, what a powerful substance biotin is. I am going to have to start sharing this research on many other platforms.

I actually decided to have about 3mg before bed last night after a SUPER high carb meal, and woke up feeling "Fat starved, insatiably hungry, almost nauseous" but it wore off eventually after having tonnes of sugar and some Calcium D Glucarate.

aquaman

I’ve been testing Glucose a lot recently and find biotin, aspirin, niacinamide, co-q10, pyrucet, and cold baths reduce it noticeably.

aquaman

What's your fasting blood sugar levels at?
Also, have you ever had insulin measured?
They were prediabetic range and even worse . Figured out how to control it through trial, error, and some supplements

Does anyone have a recommendation on supplements/drugs for the opposite scenario (I.e. For someone who gets hipoglycemic often)?

Can Biotin also help with low blood sugar? I read somewhere it enhances Gluconeogenesis in the liver when needed to maintain sugar balance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals