Biotin Restores Glucose Metabolism Even In Type I Diabetes

rei

Contrary to popular belief, insulin is not necessary for the cell to use glucose. Insulin merely drives glucose into cells. So such an insulin-independent mechanism of action for biotin is not at all surprising, as the same also happens in healthy individuals.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Contrary to popular belief, insulin is not necessary for the cell to use glucose. Insulin merely drives glucose into cells. So such an insulin-independent mechanism of action for biotin is not at all surprising, as the same also happens in healthy individuals.

Very true. Once inside the cell, glucose metabolism is driven mostly by the state of the Randle cycle. Actually, insulin is not needed much even for driving glucose into the cell. Most of that effects is due to potassium.
Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context
"...Insulin is important in the regulation of blood sugar, but its importance has been exaggerated because of the diabetes/insulin industry. Insulin itself has been found to account for only about 8% of the "insulin-like activity" of the blood, with potassium being probably the largest factor. There probably isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar."

pretty interesting, i remember i bought some biotin the other day, after i took it, it made me so unbelievably tired, it was unreal how tired it made me, this must have been the cause, made me think i was really low in it

yomama

Very true. Once inside the cell, glucose metabolism is driven mostly by the state of the Randle cycle. Actually, insulin is not needed much even for driving glucose into the cell. Most of that effects is due to potassium.
Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context
"...Insulin is important in the regulation of blood sugar, but its importance has been exaggerated because of the diabetes/insulin industry. Insulin itself has been found to account for only about 8% of the "insulin-like activity" of the blood, with potassium being probably the largest factor. There probably isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar."

If so, why a common side effect of potassium-sparing beta blockers is an elevation of blood sugar up to prediabetes levels (100~110) ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If so, why a common side effect of potassium-sparing beta blockers is an elevation of blood sugar up to prediabetes levels (100~110) ?

They probably have another toxic action that has not been publicized much. Many of them elevate aldosterone and cortisol.

@haidut do you think this is why biotin is often touted as good for hair strength or hair loss? i always thought because biotin made up the hair or something from a not understanding level, but it seems pretty pro thyroid if it allows for glucose metabolism. i definitely notice the effects of the B vitamins or lack there of if I go more than a week without liver.

it makes me think about biotin even more, the reason i bought it was because i was using brewers yeast everyday, but i know it lacks in biotin, so i wanted to supplement it every other day or every 3 days or so (i havent taken the biotin supplement though, the first time i took it i got so tired, didnt know it did this, i actualy passed out after 15 mins of taking it), but i notice i started feeling pretty bad, but it was fixed after having liver, which is high in biotin.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut do you think this is why biotin is often touted as good for hair strength or hair loss? i always thought because biotin made up the hair or something from a not understanding level, but it seems pretty pro thyroid if it allows for glucose metabolism. i definitely notice the effects of the B vitamins or lack there of if I go more than a week without liver.

it makes me think about biotin even more, the reason i bought it was because i was using brewers yeast everyday, but i know it lacks in biotin, so i wanted to supplement it every other day or every 3 days or so (i havent taken the biotin supplement though, the first time i took it i got so tired, didnt know it did this, i actualy passed out after 15 mins of taking it), but i notice i started feeling pretty bad, but it was fixed after having liver, which is high in biotin.

Given that hair and nail growth depends strongly on metabolism, the fact that biotin speeds up their growth suggests it is indeed very pro-metabolic. I don't think very high doses are needed unless somebody has diabetes. For most people 1mg-5mg is plenty.

JohnHafterson

Supplemented with biotin in the past, and it can increase sebum production drastically. Anyone know what the cause would be?

People with acne, biotin can be negative.

My health was way worse back then, so might be something I would try again.

High dose of Biotin effect Pantothenic acid levels leading to higher sebum production. They share same receptor.

Recoen

I think testing both glucose and insulin AT THE SAME TIME can give some insight. Most doctors test blood glucose and then later on may test insulin so the two tests cannot be correlated. MB and B complex is pretty good, especially since B2 can help restore MAO-A function that can be potentially inhibited by MB.
I was planning on releasing biotin supplement but I think there is a legal restriction dose - i.e. a single dose cannot have more than 10mg. There are plenty of vendors that sell pills with 10mg per pill. I will look into this, so thanks for bringing it up.
What about hypoglycemia with low-normal insulin?

success23

I wonder what will happen if i take 15 mg of biotin with every meal i have

Last edited:

JenLN

I got fantastic hair growth with 2-3 mg biotin—best my hair has looked since about 20!

Vinny

GreekDemiGod

I have my eyes on a good Biotin source in my country, with minimal fillers, but the dosage is 500mcg, which is 0.5mg. 120 capsules per bottle, it’s relatively cheap. Much lower than what I’m seeing on here.
Would it still be worth buying it or better look for another source?
I want to take it to lower my fasting blood / prediabetes glucose numbers.

maillol

I have my eyes on a good Biotin source in my country, with minimal fillers, but the dosage is 500mcg, which is 0.5mg. 120 capsules per bottle, it’s relatively cheap. Much lower than what I’m seeing on here.
Would it still be worth buying it or better look for another source?
I want to take it to lower my fasting blood / prediabetes glucose numbers.
With b vitamins you can by the cheap tablets and dissolve them in water and put it through a coffee filter because the fillers are not water soluble.

I use biotin every day. I think it really helps my skin, nails and hair. I believe the combination of biotin, coconut oil, collagen and

Hyaluronic acid really makes my skin glowy. I do tend to have oilier skin, but after using this combination, my skin really does glow. And if Biotin controls blood sugar, hey, all the better!

GreekDemiGod

I use biotin every day. I think it really helps my skin, nails and hair. I believe the combination of biotin, coconut oil, collagen and

Hyaluronic acid really makes my skin glowy. I do tend to have oilier skin, but after using this combination, my skin really does glow. And if Biotin controls blood sugar, hey, all the better!
Just curious, do you use coconut oil on the face/ skin?