Biotin Restores Glucose Metabolism Even In Type I Diabetes

Kasper

Yes yes yes, very good!!! I have lots of bulk powdered B vits, I will definitely add the powdered Biotin and find a way to choke it down with the others.....I've recently added Brewer's Yeast too, yummy. Thank you Blossom. :grouphug

There is NO way in hell that I'm gonna take the traditional "Standard Of Care" medicalized route, ain't gonna happen. I'm simply trying to figure this out WITHOUT getting tagged a diabetic (via blood testing) for insurance reasons. There is SO MUCH misinformation out there, it's difficult for my brain to decipher the truth from fiction.

My numbers are getting better, technically out diabetic range since I started walking (and adding chromium), but still not great. I liked it better when my numbers were in the low 90's last year, I felt better then too....I'm now thinking that my intermittent brain issues may very well be related to poor glucose regulation, dunno?

I've heard that taking chromium may cause serious problems, maybe better to stick with b vitamins.

Pure bulk has gelatin caps with 5 mg of biotin each. You could take one of those 3x a day.

Every person over the age of 30 can temporarily become diabetic after a long exhaustive run. Their blood glucose numbers in the next 24 hours will not look good. This is due to the elevated FFA from running. And if that fat they burn is PUFA then the temporary state can be extended for up to a week. The older a person is, the stronger the diabetic response to a strenuous effort or other kinds of stress.

Thank you haidut, I really appreciate this. I just read about this phenomenon on various diabetic forums, some folks recommend not testing at all after intense exercise. I don't usually exercise strenuously, but on Easter Sunday I went for a much longer walk (two hours) and it was a very brisk pace, I experienced the disappointment of not seeing the low blood glucose number that I had hoped for and went searching for an explanation.

It's such a drag, every diabetes website I read says the same thing: Ya gotta lose weight!!! I really don't fit the typical "diabetic profile" as far as being terribly overweight. I don't eat crappy fast food/prepared industrial foods. But I have found that I cannot go below a certain level of calories without feeling a dreadful stress reaction. Which is weird because I have lost body fat before and never had this intense of a reaction. So, since I can't reduce calories I've just been trying to walk more.

Since PUFA is so toxic and since it is preferentially stored and since I am old (gonna be 50 this year), I wonder if this is precisely why it's sooooo hard to lose the last 10 or 15 pounds??? Like the body knows its toxic and does everything possible to avoid burning it, I dunno....I'm just guessing.

Is the damage from PUFA permanent, does any one know? I know Peat says it takes 4 years to wash it from the cells and I believe him. I've been diligent about keeping PUFA very low for close to 2.5 years, keeping it around 4 grams per day with very few exceptions. Those exceptions always fall during the winter holidays... I wonder how much damage that does.

Opps, sorry for the Off Topic Rant...:dummy1:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Ulla

Also, I've been eating more fat for several months. I figured it was no big deal since I didn't gain weight (and fat IS delicious)....sigh, gonna go back to my super low fat diet.:sour:

How much more? :)
More than 50/day? In average...

MB50

Good long blog post here showing the potential benefits for some of getting <10% fat intake

http://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in...-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/#more-13758

She did a good job with that blog post. One of the interesting things is the sialic acid Neu5Gc and its possible link to MS, which is unique to humans.

Humans cannot synthesize Neu5Gc because the human gene CMAH is irreversibly mutated, though it is found in apes.[1] It is absent in human tissues because of inactivation of gene encoding CMP-N-acetylneuraminic acid hydroxyls (wiki).

Neu5Gc is still reported to be found in concentration in human cancers, as well as found in fecal samples, suggesting a dietary source. Uptake is thought to be by macropinocytosis, and the sialic acid can be transferred to the cytosol by a sialin transporter. It is possible that the immune system then recognizes the molecule as foreign, binding of anti-Neu5Gc antibodies may cause chronic inflammation, however this assumption needs to be concretely proven (wiki).

Why does multiple sclerosis only affect human primates? - PubMed - NCBI
Sialic acids in cancer biology and immunity. - PubMed - NCBI
A red meat-derived glycan promotes inflammation and cancer progression. - PubMed - NCBI

About the brewer's yeast, maybe not a good idea to eat the yeast. Are you extracting with hot water?

Ray Peat, PhD on Brewer’s Yeast – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

“Brewer’s yeast has been used traditionally to correct diabetes, and its high content of niacin and other B vitamins and potassium might account for it beneficial effects. However, eating a large quantity of it is likely to cause gas, so some people prefer to extract the soluble nutrients with hot water. Yeast contains a considerable amount of estrogen, and the water extract probably leaves much of that in the insoluble starchy residue.”

How much more? :)
More than 50/day? In average...

Hi Ulla...yes, according to Cron-O I've been eating an average of 62 grams of fat per day. Up till now I was too cheap to pay for a full subscription with Cron-O-Meter, the freebie edition doesn't let you track more than a few weeks back to see trends. I recently became a Gold Subscriber and so now I have a lot more data to work with. I can see the trends that have contributed...so despite not gaining any scale weight from my Fat Fest, it is apparently not doing my liver and blood sugar any good. PUFA has been at 5.4 grams for the last 6 months , which of course includes my holiday (home made pecan pie) benders :banghead:

This fat intake is over three times the amount I was eating when I did my low fat diet to fix many health issues....apparently, at least in my case, carbs don't matter but fat intake DOES!!!

Anecdotally, I was at IKEA the other night and bought a bag of those red Swedish Fish (I know, total garbage, but they're fat free and delicious) and a latte. I was hungry and it was gonna be a long drive home. I ended up eating the whole bag (8 oz.) on my drive and when I got home I took 10 mg. biotin and 500 mg. niacinamide. The next morning my fasting blood glucose the next morning was even lower.

Are you eating frequently or doing more (even inadvertent) intermittent fasting?

Hi ecstatichamster....I usually always have coffee with honey, gelatin and milk in my hand or my homemade fresh squeezed honey ginger lemonade concoction. But lately I've been trying to get accurate postprandial readings which means no more constant sipping...

I don't fast unless I'm sleeping.

About the brewer's yeast, maybe not a good idea to eat the yeast. Are you extracting with hot water?

Ray Peat, PhD on Brewer’s Yeast – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

I am just in the beginning of my Brewer's Yeast experiment. I read somewhere that RP suggested 4 oz. per day and that it could cause gas. I've taken 30 grams per feeding twice a day and had no problems with gas.

The source I'm using is non-GMO and has lots of potassium, but comes with a hefty dose of phosphorous too...so far I have not made it to the 4 oz. per day, it's NOT delicious.

Hi haidut...I've not experimented much with Pregnenolone. I tried some a few months ago and it seemed to make me feel irritable/aggressive and my face broke out. It could be a total coincidence....I don't fully understand how Pregnenolone works.

I wonder if somehow my own personal hormonal tendencies/patterns (clearly NOT the norm) make the Pregnenolone go down the wrong path??? I have a historical tendency to make excessive androgens (very high DHEA).

Thanks for the link haidut, will go study this and try to wrap my head around it!!!

I am just in the beginning of my Brewer's Yeast experiment. I read somewhere that RP suggested 4 oz. per day and that it could cause gas. I've taken 30 grams per feeding twice a day and had no problems with gas.

The source I'm using is non-GMO and has lots of potassium, but comes with a hefty dose of phosphorous too...so far I have not made it to the 4 oz. per day, it's NOT delicious.

Ray also talks about a lot of estrogen and the hot water extraction leaves it behind.

nullredvector

ve heard that taking chromium may cause serious problems, maybe better to stick with b vitamins.
intake of high doses of vitamin C appears to be diabetogenic (1)
@haidut whats your opinion on vitamin C appearing to be diabetogenic?

Here's the full text from the cited paper:
https://sci-hub.cc/http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/45/5/877.abstract

Vitamin C
Numerous reports have suggested an intimate interrelationship between vitamin C and glucose homeostasis (199-2 14). Guinea pigs maintained on a low-protein diet and large doses of vitamin C develop hyperglycemia (204). Dehydroascorbic acid (DHAA), an oxidative metabolite of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is a diabetogenic agent (200-203). Administration of DHAA to rats causes degranulation of beta-cells of pancreas and hyperglycemia (201, 202). Pre-injection of rats with reduced glutathione or cysteine prevents development of hyperglycemia, which suggests that the diabetogenic effect of DHAA is mediated through its interaction with the sulfhydryl groups essential for islet cell integrity (215). The clinical implication of these observations is unclear: it is not known if large doses of vitamin C will induce overt diabetes in a predisposed individual.
Clinical studies from India have indicated that plasma ascorbate concentrations were lower and dehydroascorbate concentrations were higher in diabetic patients irrespective of age, sex, duration of the disease, type of treatment, and glycemic control (207-209). Subsequent studies from Leeds in the United Kingdom (214) and Portland in the United States (213) did not confirm elevated plasma DHAA levels in Type I or Type II diabetic patients. Racial differences or marginal dietary ascorbate deficiency in Asian patients may account for this discrepant finding.
Type II diabetic patients have higher turnover of ascorbic acid. Within 7 d after discontinuing vitamin C supplements in diabetic patients, the plasma ascorbate level fell to presupplementation levels in contrast to the control nondiabetic subjects who retained the high levels of plasma ascorbate (208). Diabetes mellitus appears to influence tissue content of ascorbic acid. In rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes, liver and kidney content of ascorbate was significantly reduced (210). In Type II diabetic subjects, the mean leukocyte ascorbate concentration was not reduced in spite of lower plasma levels (208). However, in vivo studies have clearly demonstrated that hyperglycemia can induce intracellular depletion of ascorbic acid in mononuclear leukocytes, probably by competitive inhibition of cellular ascorbate transport since ascorbate and glucose appear to have a common transport mechanism (212). Similarly, insulin-dependent diabetics have reduced platelet vitamin C content, which may contribute to the enhanced aggregation of platelets in diabetic subjects (216). Otherwise, the biological significance of low plasma and possibly low tissue vitamin C levels in diabetic patients is not known.
In Type II diabetic patients vitamin C supplementation at a dose of 500 mg/d for 15 d resulted in an increase in the plasma ascorbate level but did not alter blood glucose control (213). In a subgroup of Type II diabetic patients with poor dietary vitamin C intake, low leukocyte ascorbate concentrations, and hypercholesterolemia, vitamin C therapy normalized the vitamin C levels and corrected the hypercholesterolemia, probably by activating the ascorbate-dependent cholesterol 7a- at NEW YORK UNIVERSITY BOBST LIBRARY on March 9, 2016 ajcn.nutrition.org Downloaded from MICRONUTRIENT STATUS IN DIABETES 887 hydroxylase enzyme (206). Moreover, the cutaneous capillary fragility in diabetes was corrected by 1 g daily supplements of vitamin C (217).
At present, minimum daily vitamin C requirement for the diabetic population is not known. In the absence of poor dietary vitamin C intake or decreased leukocyte content of vitamin C, there seems to be no justification for high-dose vitamin C therapy in diabetic patients. Animal experiments have suggested that pharmacological doses of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic acid are neurotoxic and diabetogenic (200-203, 218). Although the relevance of these findings to diabetic patient is not known, caution should be exercised in recommending high doses of vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C in large doses can interfere with glucose measurements (219) and thus hamper the monitoring of diabetes control.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut whats your opinion on vitamin C appearing to be diabetogenic?

Here's the full text from the cited paper:
https://sci-hub.cc/http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/45/5/877.abstract

Vitamin C
Numerous reports have suggested an intimate interrelationship between vitamin C and glucose homeostasis (199-2 14). Guinea pigs maintained on a low-protein diet and large doses of vitamin C develop hyperglycemia (204). Dehydroascorbic acid (DHAA), an oxidative metabolite of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), is a diabetogenic agent (200-203). Administration of DHAA to rats causes degranulation of beta-cells of pancreas and hyperglycemia (201, 202). Pre-injection of rats with reduced glutathione or cysteine prevents development of hyperglycemia, which suggests that the diabetogenic effect of DHAA is mediated through its interaction with the sulfhydryl groups essential for islet cell integrity (215). The clinical implication of these observations is unclear: it is not known if large doses of vitamin C will induce overt diabetes in a predisposed individual.
Clinical studies from India have indicated that plasma ascorbate concentrations were lower and dehydroascorbate concentrations were higher in diabetic patients irrespective of age, sex, duration of the disease, type of treatment, and glycemic control (207-209). Subsequent studies from Leeds in the United Kingdom (214) and Portland in the United States (213) did not confirm elevated plasma DHAA levels in Type I or Type II diabetic patients. Racial differences or marginal dietary ascorbate deficiency in Asian patients may account for this discrepant finding.
Type II diabetic patients have higher turnover of ascorbic acid. Within 7 d after discontinuing vitamin C supplements in diabetic patients, the plasma ascorbate level fell to presupplementation levels in contrast to the control nondiabetic subjects who retained the high levels of plasma ascorbate (208). Diabetes mellitus appears to influence tissue content of ascorbic acid. In rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes, liver and kidney content of ascorbate was significantly reduced (210). In Type II diabetic subjects, the mean leukocyte ascorbate concentration was not reduced in spite of lower plasma levels (208). However, in vivo studies have clearly demonstrated that hyperglycemia can induce intracellular depletion of ascorbic acid in mononuclear leukocytes, probably by competitive inhibition of cellular ascorbate transport since ascorbate and glucose appear to have a common transport mechanism (212). Similarly, insulin-dependent diabetics have reduced platelet vitamin C content, which may contribute to the enhanced aggregation of platelets in diabetic subjects (216). Otherwise, the biological significance of low plasma and possibly low tissue vitamin C levels in diabetic patients is not known.
In Type II diabetic patients vitamin C supplementation at a dose of 500 mg/d for 15 d resulted in an increase in the plasma ascorbate level but did not alter blood glucose control (213). In a subgroup of Type II diabetic patients with poor dietary vitamin C intake, low leukocyte ascorbate concentrations, and hypercholesterolemia, vitamin C therapy normalized the vitamin C levels and corrected the hypercholesterolemia, probably by activating the ascorbate-dependent cholesterol 7a- at NEW YORK UNIVERSITY BOBST LIBRARY on March 9, 2016 ajcn.nutrition.org Downloaded from MICRONUTRIENT STATUS IN DIABETES 887 hydroxylase enzyme (206). Moreover, the cutaneous capillary fragility in diabetes was corrected by 1 g daily supplements of vitamin C (217).
At present, minimum daily vitamin C requirement for the diabetic population is not known. In the absence of poor dietary vitamin C intake or decreased leukocyte content of vitamin C, there seems to be no justification for high-dose vitamin C therapy in diabetic patients. Animal experiments have suggested that pharmacological doses of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic acid are neurotoxic and diabetogenic (200-203, 218). Although the relevance of these findings to diabetic patient is not known, caution should be exercised in recommending high doses of vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C in large doses can interfere with glucose measurements (219) and thus hamper the monitoring of diabetes control.

It is probably due to them administering very high doses of DHAA, which can be a strong oxidizing agent and in people with high PUFA that can create a lot of ROS and damage the pancreas. From the study"
"...Administration of DHAA to rats causes degranulation of beta-cells of pancreas and hyperglycemia (201, 202). Pre-injection of rats with reduced glutathione or cysteine prevents development of hyperglycemia, which suggests that the diabetogenic effect of DHAA is mediated through its interaction with the sulfhydryl groups essential for islet cell integrity (215)."

Parsifal

Would explain why I don't tolerate Vitamin C supplements at all. I wonder what the Linus Pauling followers would have to say.

TibRex

Biotin is the most bought supplement on Amazon, with over 5000 reviews.

Why ?
@Hairfedup @Luckytype @xetawaves @Murtaza @franc0 @geneu @Jogiu @dq139 @Mephisto @Rtm320

It has been found to successfully stimulate/promote/renew hair growth and stem/stop hair loss .... So if one is diabetic and also losing hair, this is a double blessing, no? Read the hundreds of pages of glowing reviews on biotin at the following links:

iHerb.com - Customer Reviews -Natrol, Biotin, 10,000 mcg, 100 Tablets
iHerb.com - Customer Reviews -Now Foods, Biotin, 5,000 mcg, 120 Veg CapsulesiHerb.com - Customer Reviews -Now Foods, Biotin, 5,000 mcg, 120 Veg Capsules

Related: iHerb.com - Customer Reviews -Country Life, Maxi Hair Plus, 120 Vegetarian Capsules

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Biotin keeps cortisol low?!

I did not say that. I said eating easily digestible food and keeping cortisol low improves protein utilization (and by proxy de-novo protein synthesis).