Biotin Restores Glucose Metabolism Even In Type I Diabetes

Peata

I have issues with glucose too. Tried biotin at around 3o mg twice a day at first, then narrowed down to 3omg a day after about 2 weeks. I took it together with 0.5-1g of Niacinamide. What can I say - I started feeling lovely. Much more positive and sane. Initially, biotion provoked a big headache, I was worried it would continue, but I read that people slowly uped their dose to go around it. I made a pause for a few days, and it went away. Feel so much better since.

Another side of things, I had my feet hardening for a while, getting pedicures didn't help much. I know diabetics often report this sort of thing. The problem is gone, I almost have baby feet again (well, feet are very soft and don't really need grooming).

I ran out of niacinamide, and I would say the effect from biotin diminished, not feel as emotionally stable any more. But I have been through a rough time lately and caught a flu, so this conclusion might just be bogus.

At first, I started feeling a little bit nauseous on high dose Biotin, kind of a strange feeling not that different to when I first went on Metformin until I adjusted to it. I backed off some on the Biotin doses, but now I'm taking more without problem.

Did you lose weight using it? (if that was one of your concerns)

charmer

Did you lose weight using it? (if that was one of your concerns)

Too early to tell. I have been taking it for about a month only. I only started loosing some weight when i got sick and consumed very little food, but I will see how it goes.

charmer

Btw, my glucose issues relate to hypoglycemia. My morning fasting glucose has been way below normal. I used to wake up from hunger all the time during the night for about a year. Looks like biotin is really helping in this area as I don't have that crazy unsatiation any more.

Orion

No increase in oil or acne for me so far.

Did 2.5mg Fri/Sat, and 15mg Sun/Today. So far seems very beneficial, acne appears to be continuing improve and not reacting negatively.

Will continue at 15mg and see how the week goes. I suspect biotin deficiency as appears to be helping surprisingly. Usually adding a new supplement means flare ups and back tracking.

Orion

No increase in oil or acne for me so far.

Took a few days, but had to stop the high dose biotin. Sebum did start increasing and producing acne, feeling nauseous, also waking up in the night very warm and sweating.

I plan on using just 1mg a few times a week for now, hopefully a lower dose but above the RDA will be beneficial without negative reactions.

I still find it strange that supplements that help turn up sugar oxidizing and help move away from fat oxidation cause acne in me. Biotin, aspirin, niacinamide, caffeine...

Think I need to still work on getting my caffeine dose up, see if 'cleaning out my liver' will help.

Peata

Took a few days, but had to stop the high dose biotin. Sebum did start increasing and producing acne, feeling nauseous, also waking up in the night very warm and sweating.

I plan on using just 1mg a few times a week for now, hopefully a lower dose but above the RDA will be beneficial without negative reactions.

I still find it strange that supplements that help turn up sugar oxidizing and help move away from fat oxidation cause acne in me. Biotin, aspirin, niacinamide, caffeine...

Think I need to still work on getting my caffeine dose up, see if 'cleaning out my liver' will help.

I think it will help. Let us know how you do.

Peata

I ran out of niacinamide, and I would say the effect from biotin diminished, not feel as emotionally stable any more. But I have been through a rough time lately and caught a flu, so this conclusion might just be bogus.

Sorry you've been sick. Without the niacinamide have you noticed anything else negative from only having the Biotin? I mean, is your glycogen storage still good for example?

Peata

Btw, my glucose issues relate to hypoglycemia. My morning fasting glucose has been way below normal. I used to wake up from hunger all the time during the night for about a year. Looks like biotin is really helping in this area as I don't have that crazy unsatiation any more.

It seems to be helping me go longer between meals. I used to have to carry something with me or panic that I would have a low blood sugar reaction and not be able to eat or drink something. But now I can go places without worrying about it. For example, I used to have to take at least a sweet drink even if I went to get my hair cut, in case I got those symptoms. Or something with me in the car when I just went to one store. Now I don't *have* to take something with me. And it seems like when I do get hungry, it's just that - I'm hungry Not the fear and lightheadedness, pounding heart, etc. It's like freedom, the way it's supposed to be.

I also take 500 mg niacinamide 2 x day and other Bs. btw.

tara

And it seems like when I do get hungry, it's just that - I'm hungry Not the fear and lightheadedness, pounding heart, etc. It's like freedom, the way it's supposed to be.
Yay :)

charmer

Sorry you've been sick. Without the niacinamide have you noticed anything else negative from only having the Biotin? I mean, is your glycogen storage still good for example?

No, I don't think so. But I feel the strongest effect when I don't take it and then introduce it again (in case I was sick and just forgot about it all together). But seems like with niacinamide the effect is more stable and strong.

Kasper

I have a here diabetic person next to me, and he wonders if it matters if he takes 3 times a day 5 mg, or once 15-20 mg in the morning. @haidut

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have a here diabetic person next to me, and he wonders if it matters if he takes 3 times a day 5 mg, or once 15-20 mg in the morning. @haidut

I think 5mg x 3 daily is better since a single higher dose may drop blood sugar too fast and trigger stress response. Similar to high dose niacinamide.

I developed "pre-diabetes" several years ago, way before Peat. It was one of the reasons why I did the High Fat Low Carb diet for so long, which by the way, ultimately made my health much worse.

When I first started Peating I was technically diabetic, I did a bunch of stuff including high doses of most B vitamins and my ability to handle sugar vastly improved. In March of last year my fasting blood glucose was in the 90's regularly, I figured I was cured.

Fast forward to the beginning of this month and I'm technically "diabetic" again. I'm compiling a long list for all the contributing factors, winter/low light levels/sedentary being just a few of my many ideas.

I've been more active the last few weeks, getting outside and walking etc. and that has brought my numbers quickly back to pre-diabetic range. I can see that I still need to dose the B vitamins at crazy levels, so I'm going back to that TODAY.

I have a lot to learn about this condition, there seem to be many factors involved in controlling blood sugar regulation. It's not as straight forward as too many carbs causes too much insulin causes insulin resistance......I don't think.

Unfortunately I haven't done a lot of research in this area because I thought that I was cured of it last year. My question is this, how does a person know if their condition is due to pancreatic beta cell burn out? Or insulin resistance? Or both?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I developed "pre-diabetes" several years ago, way before Peat. It was one of the reasons why I did the High Fat Low Carb diet for so long, which by the way, ultimately made my health much worse.

When I first started Peating I was technically diabetic, I did a bunch of stuff including high doses of most B vitamins and my ability to handle sugar vastly improved. In March of last year my fasting blood glucose was in the 90's regularly, I figured I was cured.

Fast forward to the beginning of this month and I'm technically "diabetic" again. I'm compiling a long list for all the contributing factors, winter/low light levels/sedentary being just a few of my many ideas.

I've been more active the last few weeks, getting outside and walking etc. and that has brought my numbers quickly back to pre-diabetic range. I can see that I still need to dose the B vitamins at crazy levels, so I'm going back to that TODAY.

I have a lot to learn about this condition, there seem to be many factors involved in controlling blood sugar regulation. It's not as straight forward as too many carbs causes too much insulin causes insulin resistance......I don't think.

Unfortunately I haven't done a lot of research in this area because I thought that I was cured of it last year. My question is this, how does a person know if their condition is due to pancreatic beta cell burn out? Or insulin resistance? Or both?

If the beta cells are damaged you won't be producing much insulin, so you blood sugar would be high and insulin normal or even low. That's pretty much what type I diabetes looks like. In type II, both blood sugar and insulin are usually high and it is usually due to high FFA and/or fatty liver. Niacinamide should help both cases, but adding some methylene blue or caffeine, or aspirin can help with both improving insulin sensitivity AND also metabolizing the sugar since otherwise it would get converted to triglycerides.

THANK YOU haidut!

So, can I correctly assume since my blood glucose readings do come down an hour after a meal (today was 110 an hour after breakfast) that I still have beta cell function? Do you think I need an insulin test?

I took a break from MB last year, perhaps I shall add it back in with the higher dose B's again....that's a fairly safe combo, right? Lotsa B's and MB together?

I had an ultrasound done last March, NO fatty liver and no signs of diabetes. A year later (I weighed myself today) I weigh EXACTLY the same, actually a half a pound down, but I fluctuate a bit depending on my cycle. So, either I've lost muscle mass in my sedentarianism and gained fat in my liver? I'll work that angle with my daily walking.

Also, I've been eating more fat for several months. I figured it was no big deal since I didn't gain weight (and fat IS delicious)....sigh, gonna go back to my super low fat diet.:sour:

Thanks again haidut...you ARE MY HERO:kiss:

p.s. Btw, do you make a superhugemegagiant B vitamin supplement? You know, one with INSANE levels of Biotin? For seriously borderline diabetics???

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
THANK YOU haidut!

So, can I correctly assume since my blood glucose readings do come down an hour after a meal (today was 110 an hour after breakfast) that I still have beta cell function? Do you think I need an insulin test?

I took a break from MB last year, perhaps I shall add it back in with the higher dose B's again....that's a fairly safe combo, right? Lotsa B's and MB together?

I had an ultrasound done last March, NO fatty liver and no signs of diabetes. A year later (I weighed myself today) I weigh EXACTLY the same, actually a half a pound down, but I fluctuate a bit depending on my cycle. So, either I've lost muscle mass in my sedentarianism and gained fat in my liver? I'll work that angle with my daily walking.

Also, I've been eating more fat for several months. I figured it was no big deal since I didn't gain weight (and fat IS delicious)....sigh, gonna go back to my super low fat diet.:sour:

Thanks again haidut...you ARE MY HERO:kiss:

p.s. Btw, do you make a superhugemegagiant B vitamin supplement? You know, one with INSANE levels of Biotin? For seriously borderline diabetics???

I think testing both glucose and insulin AT THE SAME TIME can give some insight. Most doctors test blood glucose and then later on may test insulin so the two tests cannot be correlated. MB and B complex is pretty good, especially since B2 can help restore MAO-A function that can be potentially inhibited by MB.
I was planning on releasing biotin supplement but I think there is a legal restriction dose - i.e. a single dose cannot have more than 10mg. There are plenty of vendors that sell pills with 10mg per pill. I will look into this, so thanks for bringing it up.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Keep in mind that cut off numbers for diagnosing various 'diseases' like hypertension, diabetes, obesity etc have been shifted in recent years to create more business for bigpharma and the medical industry. I'm not insinuating that you do not need to lower your blood sugar I just feel based on what I've learned that in general we may be putting too much emphasis on living by the numbers over how we actually feel. We are so fortunate to have access to invaluable information here that helps us avoid the toxic therapies and flawed conventional wisdom. I'm certain you have what it takes to manage this @thebigpeatowski. BTW- Pure Bulk has biotin. Buy Bulk Biotin Powder (1%) | Vitamin B7, Vitamin H

Keep in mind that cut off numbers for diagnosing various 'diseases' like hypertension, diabetes, obesity etc have been shifted in recent years to create more business for bigpharma and the medical industry. I'm not insinuating that you do not need to lower your blood sugar I just feel based on what I've learned that in general we may be putting too much emphasis on living by the numbers over how we actually feel. We are so fortunate to have access to invaluable information here that helps us avoid the toxic therapies and flawed conventional wisdom. I'm certain you have what it takes to manage this @thebigpeatowski. BTW- Pure Bulk has biotin. Buy Bulk Biotin Powder (1%) | Vitamin B7, Vitamin H

Yes yes yes, very good!!! I have lots of bulk powdered B vits, I will definitely add the powdered Biotin and find a way to choke it down with the others.....I've recently added Brewer's Yeast too, yummy. Thank you Blossom. :grouphug

There is NO way in hell that I'm gonna take the traditional "Standard Of Care" medicalized route, ain't gonna happen. I'm simply trying to figure this out WITHOUT getting tagged a diabetic (via blood testing) for insurance reasons. There is SO MUCH misinformation out there, it's difficult for my brain to decipher the truth from fiction.

My numbers are getting better, technically out diabetic range since I started walking (and adding chromium), but still not great. I liked it better when my numbers were in the low 90's last year, I felt better then too....I'm now thinking that my intermittent brain issues may very well be related to poor glucose regulation, dunno?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes yes yes, very good!!! I have lots of bulk powdered B vits, I will definitely add the powdered Biotin and find a way to choke it down with the others.....I've recently added Brewer's Yeast too, yummy. Thank you Blossom. :grouphug

There is NO way in hell that I'm gonna take the traditional "Standard Of Care" medicalized route, ain't gonna happen. I'm simply trying to figure this out WITHOUT getting tagged a diabetic (via blood testing) for insurance reasons. There is SO MUCH misinformation out there, it's difficult for my brain to decipher the truth from fiction.

My numbers are getting better, technically out diabetic range since I started walking (and adding chromium), but still not great. I liked it better when my numbers were in the low 90's last year, I felt better then too....I'm now thinking that my intermittent brain issues may very well be related to poor glucose regulation, dunno?

Every person over the age of 30 can temporarily become diabetic after a long exhaustive run. Their blood glucose numbers in the next 24 hours will not look good. This is due to the elevated FFA from running. And if that fat they burn is PUFA then the temporary state can be extended for up to a week. The older a person is, the stronger the diabetic response to a strenuous effort or other kinds of stress.

tara

I will definitely add the powdered Biotin and find a way to choke it down with the others.
My B-vit powders go down fine with a bit of OJ or AJ, but someone posted that niacinamide may be altered into a less optimal form by the acid in it (I haven't investigated this further) - so I don't know if this is wise.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals