Tom Brady's Diet

michael94

You can't compare yourself to someone who can pay a staff of people to help regulate their metabolisms by having anything-on-demand. You're picking two things out of Josh's and Tom's life that are small factors. Josh, for example, is a very neurotic person. Whether you believe his neuroses are caused by his physiology (or visa versa, or bi-directionally) - he studies way too much nutrition and health to be unaffected by such neurotic accumulation of knowledge and behavior.
Also, look at both of them from 20+ years ago, and you'll see how they got their start into their current physiology. Furthermore, you can look at how you got your physiological start throughout your teen years.
No need for someone who stimulates their adrenals through strenuous activity to do so with caffeine as well (and I don't think this community has fully addressed the fact that in many cases caffeine will still stimulate adrenaline).
Imagine if Tom Brady spent 80% of his practice time not throwing footballs and running plays but studying at a computer screen about intra-muscular atp production, lactic acid cycle, and what his opponents have been eating that week. Then imagine he made decisions based on this research that contradicted his intuition and what he's had success with in the past... L M A O. Learning about how the human body functions is important/useful but it's basically impossible to understand it to such an extent that it makes real world experimentation and EFFORT secondary. I like to think neurotic research is like a compass...very useful and sometimes invaluable tool but it's not going to tell you about wind conditions, icebergs, swells, etc. And it sure as hell is not going to spin the propeller for you.

A humongous part of health is social status, much more than diet. High social status/success literally changes hundreds of gene's expressions to increase attractiveness and reduce metabolic syndrome traits (massive testosterone and dopamine increase from winning, for example, is well-documented, and high blood pressure/abdominal fat/cardiovascular disease from low social status is well-documented). It makes sense if you think of it from evolutionary terms: if you are successful, then nature will want you to be healthy and attractive to pass your genes on. If not, then no. Tom Brady is obviously at the top of ladder in those terms.

That's why I think many people are super healthy even though they eat like junk. For them, even though their tissues may be full of PUFA, they don't have the stress to turn on the enzymes that convert PUFA into dangerous prostaglandins, for example. For others who are stressed, Peat's approach is more viable. If you can't substantially improve your social standing/success/wealth in a short amount of time to reduce those enzymes, then get rid of PUFA in the first place so that even if you are stressed, then you won't be unhealthy. Peat repeatedly says that PUFA-deficient animals are enormously stress-resistant, but that doesn't mean that you can't be healthy if you are full of PUFA but experience no stress in life. It all depends on stress.

Umm no.. look at John travolta or Brenden fraiser.. fame didn't change there genetics.

Yeah that peating guy ive seen him too.. hes a fat boy, did he ever say what his testosterone level is? He clearly dealing with some serious stress there.. who knows the cause.. ive also gained a lot if weight with this diet but I took finasteride and have some serious metabolic issues...

If u can handle it and hit all nutrition requirements then no sugar could b good, but I felt like ***t doing it..

Adrien Grenier Jared Leto john stamos and j lo are other examples of people on the no sugar diet..

Dave asprey is the complete wrong way to do it.. he looks like ***t and has no sugar.. so maybe no coffee

If u can keep high testosterone on a no sugar diet, I think you are winning there, altho im not sure if itd possible, is it? How would u get enough cholesterol?

Last edited:

sladerunner69

There is no diet that is going to make you as successful or good looking as Tom Brady.
With that being said, I'm sure that he's always had more than enough calories, and that's very important.
Also this:

Social status is the most important factor in health? That explains why so many rock stars die early deaths and end up with cancer. Or why so many actors need to get on hormone therapy and find a plastic surgeon after they hit 40.

Do you really think that the hormonal affects of social status can even hold a candle to the effects of food, supplements, and bright light???

zztr

Isn't the whole NFL basically on roids anyways?

All the linemen and running backs, for sure. They do a cycle in the off season to put on 12+ pounds of muscle and then their weight slowly comes down over the course of the season. It also looks to be pretty common in the NBA.

I don't know that it would so greatly advantageous for a non-running QB like Brady to do roids, though. If you can already throw the ball hard enough there's not much point in bulking up from there. QB as Brady plays it is not super physiologically demanding. It's more pure skill. Which is why QBs can have ten+ year careers when players in the more demanding positions are often physically wrecked after a four year career.

Wagner83

Take everything with a grain of salt
Damn gotta keep blood pressure in mind when I eat, thanks for reminding me.

Isn't the whole NFL basically on roids anyways?

Thank you. Who the hell knows what this guy uses ?Also with anecdotical evidence you can "prove" anything. I can probably find guys who live on a ketogenic diet, do intermittent fasting, build muscles like crazy as well as feel awesome and are lean. Pretty sure there was an athlete claiming Macdonald's was healthy and superb food , he ate there every single day and looked in good shape (physically).

PUTFOT

What a stupid thread. If you stop counting every mg of vitamin x you get from food y and just relax and go out and live life, good things might just happen.

WestCoaster

It comes down to insulin; you're either adept at burning glucose, or you're not. This is indicative of chronically elevated insulin even in the case of low blood sugar. Insulin blocks fat burning. One who is adept at burning glucose will have low insulin levels allowing the body to access fat stores during times of not eating (or eating things not carby like veggies). A life long diet of food consumption that creates elevated insulin levels like sugar, dairy, fruit smoothies etc will create insulin resistance which is what happens when insulin levels remain elevated.

Now I'm not an NFL athlete obviously.. lol, but I did play football back in high school, and our coach was very strict with what we should eat. Basically, it was still was no sugar, no dairy, no juice, and don't over-consume fruit. It was relegated to meats (not lean necessarily), but meats, fish, and complex carbs.

Now I would wager that Tom Brady, since whenever it was perceived he had a shot at greatness, probably had strength and nutrition coaches, long before his NFL career started. His diet more than likely facilitated one that didn't keep chronically elevated insulin levels; that would mean he would be adept at burning glucose with little insulin impact. He could consume starches. Now for most other people who freely eat sugar and other garbage that keeps insulin elevated (whether it's in processed form or not), well their insulin levels won't be so friendly. I guarantee if anyone here who consumes sugar regularly and attempts Brady's diet, will balloon up with fat faster than they can blink.

Wagner83

Correct me if I'm wrong but you sound like you are saying simple sugars trigger more insulin response than starches. Apart from eating simple sugars continuously throughout the day I don't see it happening.

Albion Rose

Social status is the most important factor in health? That explains why so many rock stars die early deaths and end up with cancer. Or why so many actors need to get on hormone therapy and find a plastic surgeon after they hit 40.

Do you really think that the hormonal affects of social status can even hold a candle to the effects of food, supplements, and bright light???

Michael Mormot did extensive research on this. He found that health outcomes in selected individuals (anecdotal evidence) can be attributed to variety of factors, but statistically significant patterns show that social status IS the unifying predictor of health and longevity across studies.

He brings the question of whenever status leads to good health or the reverse in the book "Status Syndrome". He cites animal studies, such as one with monkeys, where they took high-status monkeys from separate groups and put them in a single environment where they developed a new hierarchy of status. In this new environment the previously high-status and great health and now low-status monkeys started showing signs of chronic disease.

It actually goes in line with some with Peat's article on intelligence and some recent Haidut threads. I believe food and supplements can make a person more efficient and resilient, but likely not enough to counteract the damaging effects of stress that comes with low social status.

Peater Piper

Some of the information for Brady's nutritional "manual" are online. A lot of unsaturated fat coming from copious amounts of nuts, and a lot of people have heard about the avocado "ice cream." It certainly doesn't give the impression of being low fat. Oh, and fatty wild caught salmon.

Lots of whole grains and pseudo grains that Ray would consider estrogenic and thyroid suppressants, plus a lot of raw greens, which again, Ray wouldn't favor. It actually seems pretty standard for what most would consider a healthy diet. Whatever he's doing seems to be working for him, and none of us know exactly what he's really doing.

OP
encerent

encerent

Michael Mormot did extensive research on this. He found that health outcomes in selected individuals (anecdotal evidence) can be attributed to variety of factors, but statistically significant patterns show that social status IS the unifying predictor of health and longevity across studies.

He brings the question of whenever status leads to good health or the reverse in the book "Status Syndrome". He cites animal studies, such as one with monkeys, where they took high-status monkeys from separate groups and put them in a single environment where they developed a new hierarchy of status. In this new environment the previously high-status and great health and now low-status monkeys started showing signs of chronic disease.

It actually goes in line with some with Peat's article on intelligence and some recent Haidut threads. I believe food and supplements can make a person more efficient and resilient, but likely not enough to counteract the damaging effects of stress that comes with low social status.

So high social status is the most important pro-metabolic factor!

Wagner83

I would definitely argue that a healthy hormone profile, environment and education , ordered from most important to least, would be much more likely to be the cause behind success.

zztr

He cites animal studies, such as one with monkeys, where they took high-status monkeys

I've read Sapolsky's book and this social status stuff is fairly dumb because humans are not monkeys or baboons. *All* the research is extrapolated from primate models. Human society just does not work anything like a baboon troop. It's completely ridiculous.

It's interesting that the people who go big into this stuff and start talking about humans as alpha or beta are always obviously deeply neurotic. It says more about them than biological or social reality.

That explains why so many rock stars die early deaths and end up with cancer. Or why so many actors need to get on hormone therapy and find a plastic surgeon after they hit 40.

Mick Jagger
Keith Ricards
Paul McCartney
Steven Tyler

Still going strong.

Plus many others who have lived low stress from having money etc.

Eddie Murphy
Rob Lowe
Paul Rudd

zztr

have lived low stress from having money etc.

It's actually strivers who live longest. The people who work a lot towards goals they're interested in do best. Being leisured and/or rich probably doesn't factor in too much.

A third of the people who post here with chronic health concerns seem to be borderline layabouts not facing much work stress or really doing much of anything at all, which is what I would expect.

FredSonoma

If the entire media is attempting to trick us into thinking PUFA and kale is healthy, why would this article be any different lol

If the entire media is attempting to trick us into thinking PUFA and kale is healthy, why would this article be any different lol

Kale is healthy. People aren't fat and sick because they're eating organic steamed kale.

"Those hormones, antagonistic to cortisol, can help to reduce waist fat. Chard, collard, and kale are good greens."-RP

FredSonoma

Kale is healthy. People aren't fat and sick because they're eating organic steamed kale.

"Those hormones, antagonistic to cortisol, can help to reduce waist fat. Chard, collard, and kale are good greens."-RP
For sure I agree. Was just making an example about media's advice not coming from a benign place, and this article likely has similar incentives

InChristAlone

It comes down to insulin; you're either adept at burning glucose, or you're not. This is indicative of chronically elevated insulin even in the case of low blood sugar. Insulin blocks fat burning. One who is adept at burning glucose will have low insulin levels allowing the body to access fat stores during times of not eating (or eating things not carby like veggies). A life long diet of food consumption that creates elevated insulin levels like sugar, dairy, fruit smoothies etc will create insulin resistance which is what happens when insulin levels remain elevated.

Now I'm not an NFL athlete obviously.. lol, but I did play football back in high school, and our coach was very strict with what we should eat. Basically, it was still was no sugar, no dairy, no juice, and don't over-consume fruit. It was relegated to meats (not lean necessarily), but meats, fish, and complex carbs.

Now I would wager that Tom Brady, since whenever it was perceived he had a shot at greatness, probably had strength and nutrition coaches, long before his NFL career started. His diet more than likely facilitated one that didn't keep chronically elevated insulin levels; that would mean he would be adept at burning glucose with little insulin impact. He could consume starches. Now for most other people who freely eat sugar and other garbage that keeps insulin elevated (whether it's in processed form or not), well their insulin levels won't be so friendly. I guarantee if anyone here who consumes sugar regularly and attempts Brady's diet, will balloon up with fat faster than they can blink.
What??? Insulin is the not the bad guy. You need to do some more studies on insulin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals