Tom Brady's Diet

Wagner83

Have you seen Ray Peat? He looks about 60 and he turns 90 this year. Did you ever consider that you could age at a faster or slower rate?
Pretty sure he's 80 (born in 1936). No wrinkles to be seen in the 2005 video though. In any case it's good to keep in mind Ray got interested in health as he suffered from issues very early on and was exposed to a lot of radiation at a very young age.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Just read the article properly. Mushrooms are shunned as they are not anti inflammatory? I emailed peat once about acne and gut problems and he said mushrooms have antimicrobial properties. I thought that pointed toward an anti inflammotory property? No one has a clue really I'm starting to think.

Wagner83

Ray's idea is that you can remove the toxins if you cook them thoroughly. The white button mushroom not only has anti aromatase properties, but like carrots , it grows within an environment it has to protect itself thoroughly against, so ingesting it , thanks to its fibers and chemicals not discovered yet, will have a cleaning effect from the inside. If you do believe that serotonin, endotoxin and too much bacteria is bad then you can see Ray's points.
I agree that once you get involved in the diet sphere a lot of things are completely contradictory, some people have thrived on ketogenic for years, other claim starch should be the basis of all meals while others claim sodas, sucrose and fructose are the reasons for obesity and all ailments. Imo it's good to keep a certain distance and critical approach to all ideas, the thing about Ray is that he sees humans and health as a whole entity, avoid dogmas and this in itself makes a lot of sense.
One thing healthy people seem to have in common is a desire to live, curiosity (research) and positive social interactions. I'm sure part of Ray's health are all of those put together.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Ray's idea is that you can remove the toxins if you cook them thoroughly. The white button mushroom not only has anti aromatase properties, but like carrots , it grows within an environment it has to protect itself thoroughly against, so ingesting it , thanks to its fibers and chemicals not discovered yet, will have a cleaning effect from the inside. If you do believe that serotonin, endotoxin and too much bacteria is bad then you can see Ray's points.
I agree that once you get involved in the diet sphere a lot of things are completely contradictory, some people have thrived on ketogenic for years, other claim starch should be the basis of all meals while others claim sodas, sucrose and fructose are the reasons for obesity and all ailments. Imo it's good to keep a certain distance and critical approach to all ideas, the thing about Ray is that he sees humans and health as a whole entity, avoid dogmas and this in itself makes a lot of sense.
One thing healthy people seem to have in common is a desire to live, curiosity (research) and positive social interactions. I'm sure part of Ray's health are all of those put together.
Nice post. Do you eat mushrooms and carrots regularly?

lampofred

I've read Sapolsky's book and this social status stuff is fairly dumb because humans are not monkeys or baboons. *All* the research is extrapolated from primate models. Human society just does not work anything like a baboon troop. It's completely ridiculous.

It's interesting that the people who go big into this stuff and start talking about humans as alpha or beta are always obviously deeply neurotic. It says more about them than biological or social reality.

Trashing decades of study by saying "humans are not monkeys" simply because you don't like the conclusions, nice. And classic ad hominem, nice.

The relationship between health and SES is actually one of the most robust relationships that exists.

Wagner83

Nice post. Do you eat mushrooms and carrots regularly?
I try to do them often, as for the visible benefits the daily carrot improves facial skin and removes any puffiness. Same for mushrooms, although they have more effects. I just posted here.

You ARE fake news.

See here. https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/ray-peat-birthday-time-place.3121/#post-37175
Born in 1936, he also said he was turning close to /turning eighty in one of the "ask your herb doctor" podcast.

A humongous part of health is social status, much more than diet. High social status/success literally changes hundreds of gene's expressions to increase attractiveness and reduce metabolic syndrome traits (massive testosterone and dopamine increase from winning, for example, is well-documented, and high blood pressure/abdominal fat/cardiovascular disease from low social status is well-documented). It makes sense if you think of it from evolutionary terms: if you are successful, then nature will want you to be healthy and attractive to pass your genes on. If not, then no. Tom Brady is obviously at the top of ladder in those terms.

That's why I think many people are super healthy even though they eat like junk. For them, even though their tissues may be full of PUFA, they don't have the stress to turn on the enzymes that convert PUFA into dangerous prostaglandins, for example. For others who are stressed, Peat's approach is more viable. If you can't substantially improve your social standing/success/wealth in a short amount of time to reduce those enzymes, then get rid of PUFA in the first place so that even if you are stressed, then you won't be unhealthy. Peat repeatedly says that PUFA-deficient animals are enormously stress-resistant, but that doesn't mean that you can't be healthy if you are full of PUFA but experience no stress in life. It all depends on stress.

This hits the nail on the head.

M

member 2106

if you are successful, then nature will want you to be healthy and attractive to pass your genes on.

Can you clarify this statement? What does it mean to say "nature will want you to x"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Social status is the most important factor in health? That explains why so many rock stars die early deaths and end up with cancer. Or why so many actors need to get on hormone therapy and find a plastic surgeon after they hit 40.

Do you really think that the hormonal affects of social status can even hold a candle to the effects of food, supplements, and bright light???

"Most important factor" doesn't mean "only factor." If there are a lot of factors, the most important one still might only be a small fraction of overall health. And yes, we have good reason to believe social status is more important than diet, supplements, etc. It's an inconvenient truth for many of us.

That being said, perhaps there are workarounds for the mechanism by which high social status affects a person's perception of his/her importance in the world (drugs and meditation come to mind).

Correlation without causation is always a danger when discussing these topics.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

"Most important factor" doesn't mean "only factor." If there are a lot of factors, the most important one still might only be a small fraction of overall health. And yes, we have good reason to believe social status is more important than diet, supplements, etc. It's an inconvenient truth for many of us.

That being said, perhaps there are workarounds for the mechanism by which high social status affects a person's perception of his/her importance in the world (drugs and meditation come to mind).

Correlation without causation is always a danger when discussing these topics.

What I am saying s that social status is not a direct factor in health, but influences real, direct factors. Someone who is happy with their social life is much more likely to take care of themselves.

sladerunner69

I try to do them often, as for the visible benefits the daily carrot improves facial skin and removes any puffiness. Same for mushrooms, although they have more effects. I just posted here.

See here. Ray Peat Birthday/time/place
Born in 1936, he also said he was turning close to /turning eighty in one of the "ask your herb doctor" podcast.

Interesting Danny Roddy had always said he was close to 90. Still looks good for 80 though. My grandma is 80 and she has more lines than a road map. Ray peat doesnt have all too many wrinkles.

tankasnowgod

Why so rude? We're just having a discussion.

I debunked your statement and you resort to ad hominem.

Ha! Naming four older rockstars hardly debunks his original statement. Hell, that doesn't even beat the list of famous musicians that died in 2016-

David Bowie
Glenn Frey
Prince
George Michael

pboy

I dunno doesn't quality of being matter...I mean I guess it could be relative or not but that kind of diet might not promote a lot of optimistic feelings...I guess his life has to counter balance that, but also maybe why hes pretty stoic and willing to cheat if in fact that stuff was/is true. Ive never thought he exhibited any kind of appeal regardless of how good the patriots do or he does stat wise ect...he comes off as somewhat callous and basically just someone that wouldn't be enjoyable to be around. If you were trying to seriously win football games you might like him or appreciate him as a teammate but outside of that I don't know. I'm not hating at all just that's I guess it is what it is, that kind of diet seems to correlate with a mentality...no? and again it might aid in his success although personally id still think something else might be more promotive but then again its part of the mentality, perhaps the NFL is a sort of a not cut throat I don't like that phrase but that essence of a thing so if you came in too sweet you might not be as 'successful' but then again what is success ultimately? relative and timely I suppose. If you win the super bowl and you're still stoic and unable to really feel really bright then I dunno, maybe he does. I really think its probably different for people and a mentality thing also...cause like I don't think, not that his wife is unattractive, but I'm not actually attracted by that kind of vibe. Like not offensive, but not really drawing in...where as if you were the lean meat and vegetable with no sweetness kind of person you might think shes like a great catch so to speak. Is this bad for me to say? I don't mean to come across as demeaning or dismissing, I guess 'warriors' potentially feel different and things are relative,,,the skill and orchestration of football is definitely impressive and I think would be fun to be part of...I know some NFL players eat mnm's and skittles and what not I guess I just see a lot of times the lean meat and veggie avoid sugar and all that people as somewhat stoic and question how good their baseline feel state is...maybe its more based on success then instead of if you were a more sweet person you might be happier based on interacting with people in a more friendly sharing or promotive of a different type of thing. For me wanting to knock someone as hard as possible to try to win a football game even in the parameters of both knowing the rules of the game...for some reason hard to do I wouldn't want to hurt them, I guess its a different personality. But in either case you see people who eat that kind of diet as fit, you see people high carb realtively diet also as fit so in terms purely physical stature it appears its possible either way...and technically his diet is sort of maybe high or medium carb at least...though it seems more protein based...psuedograins are relatively high in protein still as are beans, veggies, ect but its not like total paleo or near no carbs...pretty sure that definitely would lead to fitness problems

Last edited:

LUH 3417

I dunno doesn't quality of being matter...I mean I guess it could be relative or not but that kind of diet might not promote a lot of optimistic feelings...I guess his life has to counter balance that, but also maybe why hes pretty stoic and willing to cheat if in fact that stuff was/is true. Ive never thought he exhibited any kind of appeal regardless of how good the patriots do or he does stat wise ect...he comes off as somewhat callous and basically just someone that wouldn't be enjoyable to be around. If you were trying to seriously win football games you might like him or appreciate him as a teammate but outside of that I don't know. I'm not hating at all just that's I guess it is what it is, that kind of diet seems to correlate with a mentality...no? and again it might aid in his success although personally id still think something else might be more promotive but then again its part of the mentality, perhaps the NFL is a sort of a not cut throat I don't like that phrase but that essence of a thing so if you came in too sweet you might not be as 'successful' but then again what is success ultimately? relative and timely I suppose. If you win the super bowl and you're still stoic and unable to really feel really bright then I dunno, maybe he does. I really think its probably different for people and a mentality thing also...cause like I don't think, not that his wife is unattractive, but I'm not actually attracted by that kind of vibe. Like not offensive, but not really drawing in...where as if you were the lean meat and vegetable with no sweetness kind of person you might think shes like a great catch so to speak. Is this bad for me to say? I don't mean to come across as demeaning or dismissing, I guess 'warriors' potentially feel different and things are relative,,,the skill and orchestration of football is definitely impressive and I think would be fun to be part of...I know some NFL players eat mnm's and skittles and what not I guess I just see a lot of times the lean meat and veggie avoid sugar and all that people as somewhat stoic and question how good their baseline feel state is...maybe its more based on success then instead of if you were a more sweet person you might be happier based on interacting with people in a more friendly sharing or promotive of a different type of thing. For me wanting to knock someone as hard as possible to try to win a football game even in the parameters of both knowing the rules of the game...for some reason hard to do I wouldn't want to hurt them, I guess its a different personality. But in either case you see people who eat that kind of diet as fit, you see people high carb realtively diet also as fit so in terms purely physical stature it appears its possible either way...and technically his diet is sort of maybe high or medium carb at least...though it seems more protein based...psuedograins are relatively high in protein still as are beans, veggies, ect but its not like total paleo or near no carbs...pretty sure that definitely would lead to fitness problems

I agree, what you eat becomes your disposition, like romans eating raw meat and being quite violent and ramped up from all that zinc, copper being more malleable and associated with feminine qualities. Pretty sure TCM does a good job of creating a philosophy of nutrition and elements. There was a Taoist practice of avoiding grains because they considered it something like mental flatulence, grain eating being as an extension of evil, since it involved agriculture and thus hierarchical organization of human beings.

Drareg

Are the NFl known for stringent drug testing? Banned substances?
Maybe mildronate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals