Tom Brady's Diet

encerent

Tom Brady does't eat salt, sugar, dairy, fruit or caffeine. (9 Things You’d Have to Give Up to Eat Like Tom Brady)

Look at him. He is almost 40.

o-TOM-BRADY-SLEEP-facebook.jpg

Look at this guy who's the same age and eats all those things,

Time to change my diet.

Last edited:

Luann

It would be really hard to meet his energy needs using a diet of eighty percent veggies so I assume that that part is not true. So he eats a lot of lean meat, whole grain, beans, and veggies, which, while the plant aspects of those are high in PUFA compared to some of the foods we eat on this forum, they are not high in PUFA compared to fatty meats and seed oils. He doesn't do all that badly. Protein, plus calcium and mag from the grains, let's assume he absorbs at least some of that. It's an alright diet and he doesn't have a lot of stored fat.

But the hairline...

"that's genetic"

Yeah everything we don't like is genetic (sequel to the best seller, everyone I don't like is Hitler)

Regina

Tom Brady does't eat salt, sugar, dairy, fruit or caffeine. (9 Things You’d Have to Give Up to Eat Like Tom Brady)

Time to change my diet.

I know. Many of my friends, many aikidoists, don't eat sugar, are lo-salt, no caffeine or dairy.
What gives???
I will say that when I was 39, I looked and felt fine. Loads of wavy hair and full eyebrows. I ate horribly. Thoughtless and horrendous, woefully lacking "nutrition."
The shite didn't catch up to me yet.

JohnA

I thought about making this post a few weeks ago, but then I just accepted that Tom's diet probably works pretty well for him.

Key thing on TB12's side is adherence. I know I have a few PUFA-heavy meals every now and again because life is too short to be weird when you're out on a first date, your office orders pizza, etc. Knowing how obsessive Tom is, I doubt he has more than 6 cheat meals a year.

The sad thing is that people will try to replicate this diet by cutting out sugar, dairy, etc., but will miss key factors like getting sufficient calories and keeping PUFAs low.

lampofred

A humongous part of health is social status, much more than diet. High social status/success literally changes hundreds of gene's expressions to increase attractiveness and reduce metabolic syndrome traits (massive testosterone and dopamine increase from winning, for example, is well-documented, and high blood pressure/abdominal fat/cardiovascular disease from low social status is well-documented). It makes sense if you think of it from evolutionary terms: if you are successful, then nature will want you to be healthy and attractive to pass your genes on. If not, then no. Tom Brady is obviously at the top of ladder in those terms.

That's why I think many people are super healthy even though they eat like junk. For them, even though their tissues may be full of PUFA, they don't have the stress to turn on the enzymes that convert PUFA into dangerous prostaglandins, for example. For others who are stressed, Peat's approach is more viable. If you can't substantially improve your social standing/success/wealth in a short amount of time to reduce those enzymes, then get rid of PUFA in the first place so that even if you are stressed, then you won't be unhealthy. Peat repeatedly says that PUFA-deficient animals are enormously stress-resistant, but that doesn't mean that you can't be healthy if you are full of PUFA but experience no stress in life. It all depends on stress.

TubZy

Tom had hair transplant though maybe something is up with his metabolism :D

Dhair

There is no diet that is going to make you as successful or good looking as Tom Brady.
With that being said, I'm sure that he's always had more than enough calories, and that's very important.
Also this:
A humongous part of health is social status, much more than diet. High social status/success literally changes hundreds of gene's expressions to increase attractiveness and reduce metabolic syndrome traits (massive testosterone and dopamine increase from winning, for example, is well-documented, and high blood pressure/abdominal fat/cardiovascular disease from low social status is well-documented). It makes sense if you think of it from evolutionary terms: if you are successful, then nature will want you to be healthy and attractive to pass your genes on. If not, then no. Tom Brady is obviously at the top of ladder in those terms.

That's why I think many people are super healthy even though they eat like junk. For them, even though their tissues may be full of PUFA, they don't have the stress to turn on the enzymes that convert PUFA into dangerous prostaglandins, for example. For others who are stressed, Peat's approach is more viable. If you can't substantially improve your social standing/success/wealth in a short amount of time to reduce those enzymes, then get rid of PUFA in the first place so that even if you are stressed, then you won't be unhealthy. Peat repeatedly says that PUFA-deficient animals are enormously stress-resistant, but that doesn't mean that you can't be healthy if you are full of PUFA but experience no stress in life. It all depends on stress.

sladerunner69

Time to change my diet.

You are addicted to anecdotal evidence aren't you? Do you really look at 2 completely different people and assume that is enough information to conclude which diet is mroe beneficial?

Look, that article about Brady's diet does not establish itself as credible or reliable, but assuming it is here are some of my observations. Almost 40 is not old, many people dont start to wrinkle until they are in their 40's, as many people have great metabolisms that dont start to drop down until 40-50. This is definitely an exceptional picture of him, it looks enhanced and shopped (you didnt notice that?). I was looking at his speech in the game today and noticed a fair amount of wrinkles which had me guess his age around 35. His skin is also dry looking, not bright and glowing like Danny Roddy or Ray's. He is losing some hair, and uses a forward come over to hide it. Also looking at his body, he looks relatively weak and fragile. He is tall and lanky, and his run is a wacky stomp, and he has much less muscle mass compared to everyone else on the team leading me to beleive his testosterone is lower and he is clearly not using roids. He is a great quartback but I think that mostly comes from his remarkable throwing ability, which his height and knowledge of plays helps. In his interviews his intelligence (from his speaking ability only) is unremarkable.

That other guy is fat, but he has probably been following no particualr diet for 35 years. And his skin looks good, no wrinkled, smooth. And he still has a complete head of hair with only minor thinning up front. Bear in mind one can have a strong metabolism and be comparably healthy while still storing a ton of bodyfat if they eat enough saturated fats.

Also there is a genetic factor for metabolism, brady probably ahs a great metabolism considering the athletic talent he has. A diet of starch and lean meat isnt going to destroy the metabolism, especially if he is not voerloaded with pufas.

Aren't the football players forced to eat fast food? I doubt you can get six inches of fat on your body using saturated fat... especially with that much muscle...

tara

Eats coconut oil. Probably getting good mineral and vitamin input from veges, and enough protein and carbs, and not particularly much PUFAs.

I wonder what proportion of his life he's had the personal chef preparing this diet for him?

Rubin seems pretty healthy too. But he's only been eating Peat-inspired diet for a small part of his life, too.

One's current health is probably affected by the accumulated effects of lifestyle over a lifetime, not just what one has been doing the last year or five.

tankasnowgod

Time to change my diet.

Yeah, but Tom Brady also has an occupation that is physically demanding and requires that he stay in shape.

Maybe, instead of diet, it's time to change your training regimen so you are physically active for 8-12 hours every day.

As Anthony Colpo pointed out, cyclists doing the Tour De France eat 7,000 calories a day and are fighting to keep weight on.

Waynish

You can't compare yourself to someone who can pay a staff of people to help regulate their metabolisms by having anything-on-demand. You're picking two things out of Josh's and Tom's life that are small factors. Josh, for example, is a very neurotic person. Whether you believe his neuroses are caused by his physiology (or visa versa, or bi-directionally) - he studies way too much nutrition and health to be unaffected by such neurotic accumulation of knowledge and behavior.
Also, look at both of them from 20+ years ago, and you'll see how they got their start into their current physiology. Furthermore, you can look at how you got your physiological start throughout your teen years.
No need for someone who stimulates their adrenals through strenuous activity to do so with caffeine as well (and I don't think this community has fully addressed the fact that in many cases caffeine will still stimulate adrenaline).

This is Kevin "Thad" Castle. He lives on hard liquor, cocaine, and "sloots". Still think Raypeating works?

tumblr_mktmco1is71rza5aao1_500.gif

bohogirl

People eat really shitty and glow. I think most of us are far too obsessed and stressed with thinking about food, me included. Take everything with a grain of salt, and do what works best for you.

I'm sure he didn't always eat like this either, before he met his wife.

He's had a good life, rich, good looking, active lifestyle, and probably low stress.