Dr. Robert Young - And Tom Brady- Practicing Very Anti-Peat Diet and Claims To Be Staying Healthy and Young WTF?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

For a "treat" he will occasionally have chocolate avocado ice cream. Imagine being those children growing up on that diet. Yuck.
You have a limited gastronomic appreciation of avocado. You only think of it as suitable for guacamole, but elsewhere it is enjoyable as a milk shake or smoothie, and certainly as ice cream.

Scout88at

It seems to me that the biggest argument against a Peat style diet is getting caught up in specific mechanisms in the body and forgetting that there are numerous mechanisms taking place simultaneously. What is more important generally is whether or not its a net gain or net loss and specifically the current condition of the individual. I'm sure that there are many anti-metabolic things that Brady does in his lifestyle and diet routine but they are far more out-weighed by the pro-metabolic things he does which I would guess are the fundamentals: REAL food that he ENJOYS, physical stress paired with adequate recovery, healthy environment, sunshine, purpose, loving support staff, having awareness around the health of his body and his mind...and he does day in and day out for decades

Tansia

I think Ray has said multiple times that if someone grows up eating and feeling good on certain foods, something like peanut butter for instance, they'll probably do far better sticking with what they like and what works rather than stressing themselves out to eat a different way.

Tom Brady is a driven and extremely passionate dude who's still doing what he loves in his 40s, and moreover he's enjoying tremendous success. This has an incredibly powerful anabolic and anti-stress effect which I'm sure has a lot more to do with his health than his diet.

He has a loving wife, children, parents, teammates, gets tons of sunshine and probably focuses heavily on sleep quality.

Regarding his diet, I'm willing to bet he sprouts/soaks his seeds/beans and gets the freshest high quality products which have limited rancidity and probably sufficient naturally occuring vitamin E. In these circumstances the effect is probably not truly deleterious.

He's also avoiding all sources of commercial PUFAs from cheap vegetable oils, and that's a big one. Avoiding nightshades is another potential irritant out of the way.

He drinks lots of smoothies with fresh ripe fruits I'm sure...that's very good. He also gets ample electrolytes in magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium and that fixes a lot of problems at a very fundamental level.

When you look at it from this perspective, it's really not bad at all. You could say the beans/seeds are problematic but if they're prepared properly/fresh and not rancid that removes a lot of the most egregious factors. And they do provide a lot of vitamins/minerals and other compounds.

Diet is important, but probably no more so than sunshine, great sleep, passion/purpose, love/companionship etc.
Amen

mrchibbs

It seems to me that the biggest argument against a Peat style diet is getting caught up in specific mechanisms in the body and forgetting that there are numerous mechanisms taking place simultaneously. What is more important generally is whether or not its a net gain or net loss and specifically the current condition of the individual. I'm sure that there are many anti-metabolic things that Brady does in his lifestyle and diet routine but they are far more out-weighed by the pro-metabolic things he does which I would guess are the fundamentals: REAL food that he ENJOYS, physical stress paired with adequate recovery, healthy environment, sunshine, purpose, loving support staff, having awareness around the health of his body and his mind...and he does day in and day out for decades

That seems dead on. The positives outweigh the bad by a long shot in his case IMO

I'm willing to bet his health will take a hit after he retires. Football is his life, it's often a shock to lose that purpose.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

That seems dead on. The positives outweigh the bad by a long shot in his case IMO

I'm willing to bet his health will take a hit after he retires. Football is his life, it's often a shock to lose that purpose.
I can agree with that. And since most of the world isn't like Brady, following the advice of Robert Young may already be doing harm to people way before their time comes.

mrchibbs

I can agree with that. And since most of the world isn't like Brady, following the advice of Robert Young may already be doing harm to people way before their time comes.

Oh for sure, I don't think the diet presented here would be good for individuals with subpar lives/environment and already in a state of diminished health.

Brady has so much positive going for him, it sort of compensates for everything else.

dand

A friend of mines work with athletes using a Peat inspired approach and the results are rather amazing. Several of them are young, but are in major league sports:

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
Considering the amount of HGH he probably consumes (along with 90% of NFL players), I think his nutrition is a distant second place concern.

dand

Considering the amount of HGH he probably consumes (along with 90% of NFL players), I think his nutrition is a distant second place concern.
I played football professionally and have many friends who have enjoyed long NFL careers, I would say the amount of players using PED's is less than 10% and probably closer to 3%, unless you consider smoking pot a PED :). HGH is a stress hormone anyways.

Vinero

A large tablespoon. In Russia, usually a tablespoon is understood as a large tablespoon)

Yes, I prefer to eat sugar, because I definitely have problems with endotoxin. I recently had a bad experience with oat and will no longer eat starch.
Your bad reaction to oats might be because oats are high in soluble fiber, not because of starch in general. I do fine eating lots of starch from rice and bread. I think it's the soluble fiber that causes endotoxin problems.
Soluble fiber feeds gut bacteria and can cause cholestasis and ultimately liver cancer. (3) Soluble Fiber Causes Liver Cancer, Insoluble And Antibiotics Prevent/stop It | Ray Peat Forum

Eating lots of beans and oats messed me up badly. Insoluble fiber however seems to have protective effects and can cancel out the bad effects of soluble fiber. Ray Peat also recommends insoluble fiber and is against soluble fibers.
It is interesting that the major food staples of the world are corn, rice, and wheat. These three foods all have a very high insoluble/soluble fiber ratio. Coincidence?
Most grains have a bad insoluble/soluble fiber ratio such as oats, barley, rye.
Wheat has a more favorable insoluble/soluble fiber ratio and has historically been considered more nutritious than other grains.

Last edited:

JacobG

What I learned is that there are many diets that can work but that is dependent on context.

One huge issue of the Peat diet is that it requires antibiotics once in a while for most. The large amount of sugar dumping (e.g. OJ) into the duodenum likely leads to dysbiosis.

The Brady diet can work if you have a well functioning microbiome. If you do and you do not get the sugar dumping into the duodenum you can most likely keep away the dysbiotic shift. In that case the microbiome will make a significant amount of vitamins for the host on this pH diet due to the high amount of fermentables and polyphenols. The other thing is that the acid load really appears to be low so the acidic damage is low. That may make quite a difference for some.

All in all, I do not think that this pH diet is close to the optimal simply because some nutrients may be impossible to get enough of (vit a, b12, vit d, taurine, creatine, ...) and I am not sure how low the intestinal permeability can stay with all that plant matter.

mrchibbs

@JacobG

Intestinal permability is also greatly modulated by things like vitamin D and psychological stress. Things like that probably influence the difference in outcomes from a similar diet in different individuals.

JacobG

@JacobG

Intestinal permability is also greatly modulated by things like vitamin D and psychological stress. Things like that probably influence the difference in outcomes from a similar diet in different individuals.
Yes there are a couple of factors. I think the biggest factors are plant lectins, dysbiosis, alcohol, vit A & D deficiencies, sleep deprivation and excessive sport/stress.

Daniil

Your bad reaction to oats might be because oats are high in soluble fiber, not because of starch in general. I do fine eating lots of starch from rice and bread. I think it's the soluble fiber that causes endotoxin problems.
Soluble fiber feeds gut bacteria and can cause cholestasis and ultimately liver cancer. (3) Soluble Fiber Causes Liver Cancer, Insoluble And Antibiotics Prevent/stop It | Ray Peat Forum

Eating lots of beans and oats messed me up badly. Insoluble fiber however seems to have protective effects and can cancel out the bad effects of soluble fiber. Ray Peat also recommends insoluble fiber and is against soluble fibers.
It is interesting that the major food staples of the world are corn, rice, and wheat. These three foods all have a very high insoluble/soluble fiber ratio. Coincidence?
Most grains have a bad insoluble/soluble fiber ratio such as oats, barley, rye.
Wheat has a more favorable insoluble/soluble fiber ratio and has historically been considered more nutritious than other grains.
I think I have solved this riddle for myself:

But thanks for the guess. However, I can eat bread and potatoes

Lollipop2

One huge issue of the Peat diet is that it requires antibiotics once in a while for most.
Completely disagree. I have never taken antibiotics and have eaten a Peat inspired diet for 6 years. This is a serious over generalization and not at all “for most”.

Hoodlt

You have a limited gastronomic appreciation of avocado. You only think of it as suitable for guacamole, but elsewhere it is enjoyable as a milk shake or smoothie, and certainly as ice cream.
So how about he called it "ice avocado?" Ice cream is just fine the way it is and doesn't need avocado. My gastronomic appreciation is just fine, thanks.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

So how about he called it "ice avocado?" Ice cream is just fine the way it is and doesn't need avocado. My gastronomic appreciation is just fine, thanks.
You can hang out with Nathan Myrhvold and enjoy his creations, or not

Comstock

A friend of mines work with athletes using a Peat inspired approach and the results are rather amazing. Several of them are young, but are in major league sports:

Those before and afters are pretty impressive, but I'm surprised MLB prospects can look that out of shape.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I'll just enjoy my ICE CREAM, DB.
Simple pleasures and comfort food are fine. You can always hang out in tourist traps when you travel, and get a kick out of eating the same food your taste buds have grown accustomed to. American tourists keep eating McDonald's and drink Starbucks, and Chinese keep eating Chinese food. The freedom is always there for you to stay parochially attached.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom