Tom Brady's Diet

What-a-Riot

i dont think the idea is that insulin is flat out bad, but the ideal state is to be insulin sensitive so it can rise, serve its functions, and fall to its resting state in a timely manner

Now for most other people who freely eat sugar and other garbage that keeps insulin elevated (whether it's in processed form or not), well their insulin levels won't be so friendly. I guarantee if anyone here who consumes sugar regularly and attempts Brady's diet, will balloon up with fat faster than they can blink.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

I don't think you can assimilate two pounds of carbohydrate with a normal insulin level which goes back to a resting state in a timely manner. Unless you're a giant or something. It's just quantities.

InChristAlone

Yes and the easiest way to become insulin sensitive is to eat a high carb diet! :p

Yes and the easiest way to become insulin sensitive is to eat a high carb diet! :p

No... the easiest way to become insulin sensitive is to be hypothyroid. .. sugar has nothing to do with it.. altho sugar makes your thyroid work.. :)

InChristAlone

Wait wait. We are confusing everyone.

OP
encerent

encerent

No... the easiest way to become insulin sensitive is to be hypothyroid. .. sugar has nothing to do with it.. altho sugar makes your thyroid work.. :)

Starving yourself, eating no carbs, and fasting will get you insulin sensitive fast...

kaybb

It comes down to insulin; you're either adept at burning glucose, or you're not. This is indicative of chronically elevated insulin even in the case of low blood sugar. Insulin blocks fat burning. One who is adept at burning glucose will have low insulin levels allowing the body to access fat stores during times of not eating (or eating things not carby like veggies). A life long diet of food consumption that creates elevated insulin levels like sugar, dairy, fruit smoothies etc will create insulin resistance which is what happens when insulin levels remain elevated.

Now I'm not an NFL athlete obviously.. lol, but I did play football back in high school, and our coach was very strict with what we should eat. Basically, it was still was no sugar, no dairy, no juice, and don't over-consume fruit. It was relegated to meats (not lean necessarily), but meats, fish, and complex carbs.

Now I would wager that Tom Brady, since whenever it was perceived he had a shot at greatness, probably had strength and nutrition coaches, long before his NFL career started. His diet more than likely facilitated one that didn't keep chronically elevated insulin levels; that would mean he would be adept at burning glucose with little insulin impact. He could consume starches. Now for most other people who freely eat sugar and other garbage that keeps insulin elevated (whether it's in processed form or not), well their insulin levels won't be so friendly. I guarantee if anyone here who consumes sugar regularly and attempts Brady's diet, will balloon up with fat faster than they can blink.
Uhhh... you just listed Ray Peats diet... sugar, dairy, fruit... and calling sugar garbage. This is definitely the wrong forum for you.

InChristAlone

Low carb diets cause insulin resistance.

beachbum

Low carb diets cause insulin resistance.
Don't forget these celebraties are rich. They don't work 40+ hour week jobs with stress of making ends meet. Even if they are busy the have the money to get massages and buy good quality food and doctors. Just saying.

Waynish

Imagine if Tom Brady spent 80% of his practice time not throwing footballs and running plays but studying at a computer screen about intra-muscular atp production, lactic acid cycle, and what his opponents have been eating that week. Then imagine he made decisions based on this research that contradicted his intuition and what he's had success with in the past... L M A O. Learning about how the human body functions is important/useful but it's basically impossible to understand it to such an extent that it makes real world experimentation and EFFORT secondary. I like to think neurotic research is like a compass...very useful and sometimes invaluable tool but it's not going to tell you about wind conditions, icebergs, swells, etc. And it sure as hell is not going to spin the propeller for you.

Yes - this is called "nuanced understanding" - and is unfortunately rare, even amongst intellectuals :P

i thought you were saying, insulin sensitive like, you are sensitive to insulin, therefore insulin is not reacting well with you. didn't realize you meant your body could uptake insulin better. so yeah, i guess i had what you were saying backwards.

sladerunner69

Michael Mormot did extensive research on this. He found that health outcomes in selected individuals (anecdotal evidence) can be attributed to variety of factors, but statistically significant patterns show that social status IS the unifying predictor of health and longevity across studies.

He brings the question of whenever status leads to good health or the reverse in the book "Status Syndrome". He cites animal studies, such as one with monkeys, where they took high-status monkeys from separate groups and put them in a single environment where they developed a new hierarchy of status. In this new environment the previously high-status and great health and now low-status monkeys started showing signs of chronic disease.

It actually goes in line with some with Peat's article on intelligence and some recent Haidut threads. I believe food and supplements can make a person more efficient and resilient, but likely not enough to counteract the damaging effects of stress that comes with low social status.

I see, that study could easily be explained by causation vs correlation. Social status is associated with good health because healthy people function better. Not the other way around if we are getting technical, but both effects would be recipricating int he sense that having social status would implroe one to improve their helath and vice versa.

sladerunner69

Imagine if Tom Brady spent 80% of his practice time not throwing footballs and running plays but studying at a computer screen about intra-muscular atp production, lactic acid cycle, and what his opponents have been eating that week. Then imagine he made decisions based on this research that contradicted his intuition and what he's had success with in the past... L M A O. Learning about how the human body functions is important/useful but it's basically impossible to understand it to such an extent that it makes real world experimentation and EFFORT secondary. I like to think neurotic research is like a compass...very useful and sometimes invaluable tool but it's not going to tell you about wind conditions, icebergs, swells, etc. And it sure as hell is not going to spin the propeller for you.

Fantastic point, you should be the coach for tom brady's off season conditioning this year..

sladerunner69

Mick Jagger
Keith Ricards
Paul McCartney
Steven Tyler

Still going strong.

Plus many others who have lived low stress from having money etc.

Eddie Murphy
Rob Lowe
Paul Rudd

You found 4 rock stars congratulations. You dont understand anecdotal evidence do you? It's alright most people can't comprehend it effectively....

You see, 4 rockstars out of a sample size of hundreds or thousands of rockstars, the majority of whom have passed away from disease or cancer or drug use. And remember that the wealthiest rockstars are liekly to be kept alive by intense doctor supervision, even if they look like absolute garbage (like the rolling stones who all looke like they are in their 130's)

Thoushant

But again, if I'm a chef feeding a famous person, there's expectation and responsibility I would have to live up to, so my image won't get completely torn apart. I'm probably gonna sprew alot of general health trends to play it safe.

And most athletes are heavily monitered by doctors in performance, CO2, Blood, minerals etc.

You found 4 rock stars congratulations. You dont understand anecdotal evidence do you? It's alright most people can't comprehend it effectively....

You see, 4 rockstars out of a sample size of hundreds or thousands of rockstars, the majority of whom have passed away from disease or cancer or drug use. And remember that the wealthiest rockstars are liekly to be kept alive by intense doctor supervision, even if they look like absolute garbage (like the rolling stones who all looke like they are in their 130's)

Why so rude? We're just having a discussion.

I debunked your statement and you resort to ad hominem.

There are way more than 4 rockstars. There are way more people.

even if they look like absolute garbage (like the rolling stones who all looke like they are in their 130's)

Umm...it's called aging.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Why so rude? We're just having a discussion.

I debunked your statement and you resort to ad hominem.

There are way more than 4 rockstars. There are way more people.

Umm...it's called aging.

Have you seen Ray Peat? He looks about 60 and he turns 90 this year. Did you ever consider that you could age at a faster or slower rate? Have you read any of Ray PEat's work? Minimizing the effects of aging is a central theme in his work, appearing in just about all of his articles.

Im being rude because this is the 4th time in this same thread that someone has "refuted" my arguments with nothing but anecdotal evidence. It's get's trying after a while, when youa re trying to make empirical, scientific progress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals