Tater Haters Love Resistant Starch

The Potato Hack: Weight Loss Simplified

I do agree that the butyrate from RS is beneficial but they ignore all of the non-resistant starch that comes along with the RS. A baked potato has about 1 gram of RS per 100 grams. Increase that by 10% and you have 1.1. Rice has 1.7 per 100 grams. Increase that by 10% and you have 1.87. The impact of this 10% would be minuscule and not relevant. RS is still absorbed and yields calories but instead of the it yielding 4 cal/gram, it yields about 2 cal/gram. Even if you consumed nothing but hot potatoes, 2000 grams would be 1860 calories. The 2000 grams would yield 20 grams of resistant starch. If you cooled the potatoes and increased the yield of RS 10%, you now have 22 grams of RS, not 20. You have 2 more grams. And those 2 grams would now yield 2 calories each and not 4. So, 2 grams x 2 calories each is 4 calories, so you would have reduced the total caloric load of the diet by 4 calories. If you run the numbers on a 2200 calorie diet consuming nothing but rice, the difference will be 3.4 grams of resistant starch, and the calories saved would be 6.8. The reduction in total calories of the food is minuscule, even if you ate nothing but potatoes or rice.

“The Potato Hack has revived the forgotten knowledge that a few days of potato-only meals might just be the ticket to resetting a sticky metabolism, losing weight, and restoring a healthy gut biome. Tim’s research over the past couple years about resistant starch took the internet by storm. What was once an esoteric term, “resistant starch” is now a household word, and Paleo dieters are forever changed. Though I’m one of those genetically “gifted” people mentioned in the book whose biology is not compatible with potatoes, if you eat potatoes with impunity, the Potato Hack could be a great way to shake up a diet that has stalled, or just to push your limits the way only a true biohacker could appreciate. The Potato Hack breaks all the molds, just like Bulletproof Coffee!” — Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof and author of New York Times bestseller The Bulletproof Diet.

“This book is one of the most extensive investigations on the benefits of resistant starch around. Tim covers a large body of research surrounding his novel method of resetting the body against a whole host of ailments, from chronic inflammation, insidious weight gain, and more. He lays out the painstakingly detailed science behind the magic contained in one of our most common staples, the potato, and the biological impact resistant starch can have on the body. Definitely worth the read to get the most comprehensive rundown on the topic.” — Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint and publisher of MarksDaily Apple, com

“Sometimes the simplest approach is the best one. The Potato Hack isn’t fancy, complicated, or expensive, but it’s a powerful tool for weight loss.” — Chris Kresser, Author of New York Times best seller The Paleo Cure. Creator of top-ranked natural health website Chris Kresser. com.

Some excerpts from the book:

“When counting either total calories or carbohydrate calories, resistant starch is treated a bit differently. RS is not absorbed in the small intestine, therefore providing no direct energy (calories) to fuel your body. It is, however, converted into short-chain fatty acids in the large intestine. These fatty acids are either absorbed into the bloodstream or used by cells that line the colon as energy to fuel their activities. Every 1 gram of RS is thought to provide approximately 1.5 calories (kcal) to the human body in terms of energy. Therefore, a daily intake of 40g RS would account for only 60 calories and should be counted as “fat” calories, not “carbs.”

"Throughout the history of mankind, we enjoyed resistant starch. Whether by accident, luck or design, it’s undeniable that RS is a big part of our past. After we marched out of Africa, the first areas we settled were filled with palms. Palmae is one of the oldest plant families on earth and many early societies developed entire lifestyles in synergy with the various palm species:

•Date palm (Phoenix dactylifers) – Arabs of the sub-Saharan
•Palmyra palm (Borassus flabellifer) – Inhabitants of South India
•Lontar palm (Borassus sundaicus) – Roto islanders of Indonesia
•Coconut palm (Cocos nucifera) – Indo-Pacific Islanders
•Oil palm (Elaeis quineens) – West Africans
•Sago palm (Metroxylon sagu Rottboll) – Malaysians
•Moriche palm (Mauritia flexuosa) – American Paleo-Indians

What all of these palms had in common were amazing sources of fiber, particularly resistant starch. For instance, the Sago palm was the main source of subsistence throughout southern Asia until rice was introduced in 2500 BC. The sago palm is an amazing RS factory. In the first part of its life it looks like a short, trunk-less palm tree. When it is about 10 years old, it will send up a trunk 20-30 feet tall after which it flowers and dies. The year before it flowers, the large trunk is filled with up to 2000 pounds of easily extracted starch. The starch is unique in that it was easily isolated and dried, and when cooked and cooled, retrogrades into one of the most stable RS3 sources on the planet. Products made from sago starch can be stored for exceptionally long periods and helped the seafaring Malaysians travel far and wide throughout the Malay Archipelago. To this day, 25-40,000 tons of sago products are exported annually from Malaysia to the rest of the world. One of the best sources of RS2 comes from the mountainsides of Asia. Dioscorea opposita, also known as Nagaimo, Japanese Mountain yam, Chinese yam, and Korean yam. It is often used in the Japanese noodle dish tororo udon/ soba and as a binding agent in the batter of okonomiyaki. The grated nagaimo is known as tororo (in Japanese). In tororo udon/ soba, the tororo is mixed with other ingredients that typically include tsuyu broth (dashi), wasabi, and green onions. Tororo is also eaten in China, Japan, Vietnam, Korea and the Philippines. Raw Chinese yam [Dioscorea opposita) is an excellent source of RS, as studied here:

‟We examined the effects of raw Chinese yam (Dioscorea opposita), containing resistant starch (RS), on lipid metabolism and cecal fermentation in rats. Raw yam (RY) and boiled yam (BY) contained 33.9% and 6.9% RS, respectively... These results suggest raw yam is effective as a source of RS and facilitates production of short chain fatty acid (SCFA), especially butyrate."

"The low-fat aspect of the potato diet is one of the keys to its success. This is an extreme low fat diet, not just a “lite” diet. When you start adding fats to your meals, the entire physiology of the meal changes. During the potato hack, every single drop of fat your body needs to fuel itself should come from body fat, not food. Your body needs fat, that’s why it stores it on your thighs and belly. Let’s make our body work for its fat for a change.

Summary: Try adding a bit of oil, but only to aid in cooking. If you are eating more than a small spoonful of oil daily while potato hacking, you likely will not see the results you had hoped for."

Last edited:

XPlus

Asprey, Sisson and Kresser.
Boy, oh boy - just go ahead and sign me up.

meatbag

The Potato Hack: Weight Loss Simplified

I do agree that the butyrate from RS is beneficial but they ignore all of the non-resistant starch that comes along with the RS. A baked potato has about 1 gram of RS per 100 grams. Increase that by 10% and you have 1.1. Rice has 1.7 per 100 grams. Increase that by 10% and you have 1.87. The impact of this 10% would be minuscule and not relevant. RS is still absorbed and yields calories but instead of the it yielding 4 cal/gram, it yields about 2 cal/gram. Even if you consumed nothing but hot potatoes, 2000 grams would be 1860 calories. The 2000 grams would yield 20 grams of resistant starch. If you cooled the potatoes and increased the yield of RS 10%, you now have 22 grams of RS, not 20. You have 2 more grams. And those 2 grams would now yield 2 calories each and not 4. So, 2 grams x 2 calories each is 4 calories, so you would have reduced the total caloric load of the diet by 4 calories. If you run the numbers on a 2200 calorie diet consuming nothing but rice, the difference will be 3.4 grams of resistant starch, and the calories saved would be 6.8. The reduction in total calories of the food is minuscule, even if you ate nothing but potatoes or rice.
Summary: Try adding a bit of oil, but only to aid in cooking. If you are eating more than a small spoonful of oil daily while potato hacking, you likely will not see the results you had hoped for."

Don't forget Richard Nikoley over at Free The Animal . I think he's the one who got the new age of RS started with Tim "tatertot" Steel. I still check out his blog on occasion as it is fairly interesting.

Prepare for the “Resistant Starch” Assimilation; Resistance is Futile

Personally I did all this ***t 2 years ago and it left me feeling like total sh*t. I don't really think there's anything wrong with well cooked rice and potatoes- but the whole RS glorification doesn't really pan out into real results for me. I just got really bad digestion, constantly bloated, INSANE brain fog, and terrible skin-just a general decrease in resilience. A course of minocycline from my doc cleared everything up.

A year later the leanest I ever got was eating mostly potatoes, white rice, and lean protein- so I have no doubt that a starch based diet can get you lean. I simply disagree that getting more RS=better health.

EIRE24

Don't forget Richard Nikoley over at Free The Animal . I think he's the one who got the new age of RS started with Tim "tatertot" Steel. I still check out his blog on occasion as it is fairly interesting.

Prepare for the “Resistant Starch” Assimilation; Resistance is Futile

Personally I did all this ***t 2 years ago and it left me feeling like total sh*t. I don't really think there's anything wrong with well cooked rice and potatoes- but the whole RS glorification doesn't really pan out into real results for me. I just got really bad digestion, constantly bloated, INSANE brain fog, and terrible skin-just a general decrease in resilience. A course of minocycline from my doc cleared everything up.

A year later the leanest I ever got was eating mostly potatoes, white rice, and lean protein- so I have no doubt that a starch based diet can get you lean. I simply disagree that getting more RS=better health.

Your skin totally cleared up with anti biotics? Do you think it would have cleared up otherwise? I find it amazing how you managed to clear the bad skin and gut and then go back to eating those foods without a problem.

T

tca300

Starch and contextual water fasting seem to have been the major driving force in our evolution.
How would fasting, which creates an energy deficit, encourage evolution? Which is argued by Peat to have been because of our access to higher quantities of sugar? Not a lack of it.

jyb

How would fasting, which creates an energy deficit, encourage evolution? Which is argued by Peat to have been because of our access to higher quantities of sugar? Not a lack of it.

Not necessarily energy deficit. In the short term yes, but presumably people who do "contextual water fasting" hope to see benefit over the long term. It's true for almost any form of effort, like some moderate exercise for example. In the short obviously there is stress, but that could result in lower average stress (better health) in the long term. I don't have much opinion about fasting, though I wouldn't be surprised if some short ones helped in some situations.

Milky

It's all contextual. "Fasting" for some people means skipping their daily midnight bowl of ice cream or actually waiting 4-5 hours between meals without a snack, or just not eating for the darkest 12 hours of the day. Eating window and meal timing can make a huge difference.

Time Restricted Feeding

B

Braveheart

read the POTATO HACK today on my Kindle...thanks for bringing it to my attention...very interesting and informative

Jayfish

That's is what started my panic attack/endotoxin issue. Almost killed me. Don't do the "potato hack". Potatoes are da devil.

B

Braveheart

That's is what started my panic attack/endotoxin issue. Almost killed me. Don't do the "potato hack". Potatoes are da devil.

sorry about that...been eating them my whole life without problem...

OP
Westside PUFAs

For me, what stared my panic attacks was my high fat, low carb, high protein and low fiber diet. Almost killed me. I had so much fat clogging up my bloodstream that I couldn't metabolize glucose properly. I kept hoping that my muscle tissue would just burn off all of the dairy fat or that my liver would covert it into ketones but it never did. I gave myself metabolic syndrome. I had gyno. I had no fiber to help quell the constant feedback loop of endotoxin that nobody can avoid, regardless of diet. But yes, me, the sweet potato eating Okinawans, the satoimo eaters of Yuzurihara, the traditional Native American cultures from where the potato originates, the taro eaters of Polynesia, are all devil worshippers. The annual yam festival in West Africa is really just a devil worshiping festival. The call to Lucifer is why they all have low rates of the top killers, heart disease and cancer.

Edit: It actually wasn't low carb though because I was getting plenty of lactose.

Last edited:

Peatish Ninja

Well "energy deficit" is quite vague, what type of energy though? Energy can support chaos just as much as order. That's why water fasting is beneficial; it engages our secondary energy (ketosis) so we can deconstruct and regulate deficient energy out of our system in order to develop resilience and better fuctioning once we refeed.

This would have helped our migration to other environments where the supply of food was largely unknown.

EIRE24

No potatoes are actually the best carbs for me. Anything else makes my acne much much worse. Potatoes digest the best for me also

T

tca300

Well "energy deficit" is quite vague, what type of energy though? Energy can support chaos just as much as order. That's why water fasting is beneficial; it engages our secondary energy (ketosis) so we can deconstruct and regulate deficient energy out of our system in order to develop resilience and better fuctioning once we refeed.

This would have helped our migration to other environments where the supply of food was largely unknown.
I don't hold that belief. Ray has never spoken fondly of ketosis. I don't know of any information that supports ketosis being necessary for evolution, especially not a driving force. Without an abundance of sugar, our brains never would have developed the way they did, and ketosis although being necessary for extreme survival circumstances, is the absence of sugar. I don't want to argue, so I will remove myself from this conversation now.

OP
Westside PUFAs
I don't think ketogenic diets are healthy for many reasons. The only positive study I've seen is the kids with epilepsy but I'm not sure of the long term effects of that. I think the unnaturalness of access to high amounts of fat is obvious. That is not just an "appeal to nature fallacy." But you can't talk about these things without making what appear to be nature fallacies. The only first natural source of fat is breast milk and then amalasye enzymes start to develop after weaning years. I think the only way for one to be a natural keto person isn't even being keto, it's being able to burn free saturated, monounsaturated, and even polyunsaturated fatty acids directly by the muscles and heart without causing too much toxic byproducts because fat has to be stored first and then converted into ketones first before one is ketogenic. I think if one was able to do that long term then they have some special enzyme action that allows them to do so. They would still be burning some glucose for the brain and red blood cells. We are one of the only apes that are able to induce ketosis. That is why you don't see other apes wander too far from the tropics because they can't go into ketosis. The only people who can't do this are people with an MCAD deficiency and those people would have never survived a late Spring. So ketosis was important for evolution. We evolved in environment of scarcity. The fact that most western men are walking around with belly fat shows how easy they store fat. Many of them are not even "fat" but they have belly fat. Their arms and legs are skinny and often their bellys are huge. Women store fat easier as well to survive pregnancy. I think that shows how the mechanism of being able to store fat was crucial to survival because we do it so easily. Without the milking of mammals, the only other sources of fat were lean animal meats and fish with very little fat. Coconut and cacao were only in certain areas. And pure monounsaturated or polyunsaturated oil is certainly not an already adapted source of direct, high quantity sources of energy.

Peatish Ninja

I don't hold that belief. Ray has never spoken fondly of ketosis. I don't know of any information that supports ketosis being necessary for evolution, especially not a driving force. Without an abundance of sugar, our brains never would have developed the way they did, and ketosis although being necessary for extreme survival circumstances, is the absence of sugar. I don't want to argue, so I will remove myself from this conversation now.

Ray hasn't spoken fondly about the ketogenic diet and thus his expression on ketosis isn't in favour of his food paradigm. He has also expressed his perspective on fasting too but in context, he has spoken more about the dangers of ketosis as the preferred energy source to one's lifestyle; fasting is a ritual within one's lifestyle. So sugar is extremely important (as much as me never mentioning that it wasn't) and is the second most important source of energy on Earth (in particular glucose i.e. starch).

GelatinGoblin

It's all contextual. "Fasting" for some people means skipping their daily midnight bowl of ice cream or actually waiting 4-5 hours between meals without a snack, or just not eating for the darkest 12 hours of the day. Eating window and meal timing can make a huge difference.

Time Restricted Feeding
wouldn't this cause insomnia and waking up at night due to lower Glycogen / Amino-Acids?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals