Rolled oats and resistant starch

barefooter

So something occurred to me this morning that I'd never considered before, which is rolled oats may contain a good amount of resistant starch. This seems like a possibility, because the process of making them involves steaming the groats and then rolling them out, so they are going through a light cooking process and then being allowed to cool, which is how resistant starch forms.

I haven't had much time to research, but the first thing I dug up is in this blog post, which is of course pro resistant starch, but I'm just looking for some data so that doesn't matter much.
http://freetheanimal.com/2013/08/resist ... lania.html

"Some other surprises were uncooked rolled oats at 7-14% RS, and the big span in cooked potatoes .16% on low end for boiled to 19% for ‘roasted and cooled’."

So, based on this, it's looking like my suspicious may be true. I'll need to see if I can dig up some numbers on resistant starch in freshly cooked oat groats or other grains to make things more conclusive. Sometimes I make oatmeal from rolled oats, and while do love it, it seems to give me gas and looser stools, so I may finally have an explanation.

EDIT:
some more information here:
http://www.csiro.au/hungrymicrobiome/food.html
"Oats, cooked 0.2 g
Oats, rolled, uncooked 11 g"

I'm assuming cooked oats means whole oats. Also, I wouldn't expect cooking the rolled oats to reduce resistant starch, as I haven't heard that happens to cooked and cooled foods when re-cooked.

Nicholas

the question is, is RS definitevly bad or definitively bad in your situation at present. the only documented negative that i've seen with RS is its ability increase leptin. why it does that and if its a bad thing i'm not positive. But i found that when i stopped eating RS, i became more hungry. i don't see appetite suppresion as a positive.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals