Ingestion of resistant starch protects endotoxin influx from the intestinal tract and reduces D-galactosamine-induced liver injury in rats (RS good?)

OP
B

BleuCheese

Re-engaging with this thread has made me want to try supplementing the potato starch again, as opposed to just doing the oats.

Sometimes I feel like if something helps, I actually want to back off it and not go "all in". I think it's a learned response from being burned by keto and carnivore. I felt good on keto for like, 2 weeks, and spent the next 2 years of my life on it (never feeling quite as good as those first two weeks).

Since then, and being exposed to Ray/Danny, I have tried to be more intuitive and "feely" about how to eat, which has given me a bit of an allergy to doing anything with rigid consistency. Its been way better for my stress levels, but with the potato starch, I think I need to give it a whirl.

I also want to avoid painting a rosy picture of taking potato starch and feeling nothing but positive benefits. I think a few sensations of increased endotoxin during the time I was supplementing the starch is playing into my hesitation.

Sometimes you gotta dance with digestive problems, and sometimes you just gotta smack them hard with a big stick. I think increasing SCFA any way I can might be the big stick.

Ritchie

Re-engaging with this thread has made me want to try supplementing the potato starch again, as opposed to just doing the oats.

Sometimes I feel like if something helps, I actually want to back off it and not go "all in". I think it's a learned response from being burned by keto and carnivore. I felt good on keto for like, 2 weeks, and spent the next 2 years of my life on it (never feeling quite as good as those first two weeks).

Since then, and being exposed to Ray/Danny, I have tried to be more intuitive and "feely" about how to eat, which has given me a bit of an allergy to doing anything with rigid consistency. Its been way better for my stress levels, but with the potato starch, I think I need to give it a whirl.

I also want to avoid painting a rosy picture of taking potato starch and feeling nothing but positive benefits. I think a few sensations of increased endotoxin during the time I was supplementing the starch is playing into my hesitation.

Sometimes you gotta dance with digestive problems, and sometimes you just gotta smack them hard with a big stick. I think increasing SCFA any way I can might be the big stick.
Why not just eat cooked potatoes, with a meal? Why the need to supplement with isolated potato starch?

OP
B

BleuCheese

Why not just eat cooked potatoes, with a meal? Why the need to supplement with isolated potato starch?
Not sure. I guess I don't have much of an appetite for potatoes, and with the potato starch I know more precisely how much RS im getting.

Hey, this thread is really bustling with activity now -great! :): Yes why not try the potato starch too, it seems to me that there isn't a whole lot in either potatoes nor oats but with the pure starch it's like -Bam! ...and you quickly can get up there in grams. And maybe overdo it too, but... ;)
Personally I guess I have, for a lot of time in my life being a Swede and all, eaten a lot of potatoes. Especially in later years, and I feel quite good on them and think that minus the previous mentioned digestion problems that people might have (myself included to some degree at least), I have quite a few generations where potatoes were a true staple, so I should do fine on them at least from an ancestral perspective.
But the same goes for oats but that one I've avoided, like most of the grains except rice for some reason, for many years. I really think you've convinced me to give it another go and that overnight soak sounds just like my kind of thing...! :p: And I know Peat's been talking about having it at least in later interviews too, not that I'm a total "Peat freak" or whatever, thinking all he says is gospel (like for example Danny Roddy seems to do :rolleyes: ).
I also want to try that "potato hack" since my experimenting with rather low dose topical progesterone cream has still left me with a surplus of about 15 kg of non-muscular tissue, 5 months after stopping... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

aniciete

When I’m eating starches like potatoes, rice, oats my digestion is far far better than when I’ve gone for periods of cutting it out. I also feel calmer, stronger with more explosive energy and sleep way better among other positive noticeable effects.

Humans have evolved so specifically to eat starch that our saliva contains amylase, which is an enzyme explicitly present to catalyse the hydrolysis of starch into sugars. So our saliva begins the process of the digestion and conversion of starch into energy before it’s even swallowed. You can’t get a better indicator of an excellent form of human nutrition than that.

I’ve always thought the anti starch sentiment in the Peat circles to be very misguided. Except of course for the seriously digestive impaired (probably a tiny tiny percent of the population) who specifically struggle with starch. My guess is that is a minute amount, even on this forum. I will caveat that by saying that I think the gluten protein can be a problem, and tend to avoid it where I can.
Well said. I have experienced the same exact thing in the last 2-3 months since adding in starch.

OP
B

BleuCheese

Quick little update. My productivity is up much more this past month since introducing more potato starch into my diet. I think however, the potato starch isn't really helping me anymore and is in fact hindering me. That may be due to me creating an imbalace towards some other microbial communities but who knows. Either way I still am consuming much more fiber than I was trying to be "peaty".

I am starting to think that trying to go "germ-free" by reducing fermentable foodstuffs is a seriously misguided approach to healing the digestive tract, and its much more about getting a microbial ecosystem that produces lots of butyrate (which im sure in a lot of cases, without a FMT, is unreachable).

The Microbiome and Butyrate Regulate Energy Metabolism and Autophagy in the Mammalian Colon
The microbiome is being characterized by large-scale sequencing efforts, yet it is not known whether it regulates host metabolism in a general versus tissue-specific manner or which bacterial metabolites are important. Here, we demonstrate that microbiota have a strong effect on energy homeostasis in the colon compared to other tissues. This tissue specificity is due to colonocytes utilizing bacterially-produced butyrate as their primary energy source. Colonocytes from germfree mice are in an energy-deprived state and exhibit decreased expression of enzymes that catalyze key steps in intermediary metabolism including the TCA cycle. Consequently, there is a marked decrease in NADH/NAD+, oxidative phosphorylation, and ATP levels, which results in AMPK activation, p27kip1 phosphorylation, and autophagy. When butyrate is added to germfree colonocytes, it rescues their deficit in mitochondrial respiration and prevents them from undergoing autophagy. The mechanism is due to butyrate acting as an energy source rather than as an HDAC inhibitor.

Quick little update. My productivity is up much more this past month since introducing more potato starch into my diet. I think however, the potato starch isn't really helping me anymore and is in fact hindering me. That may be due to me creating an imbalace towards some other microbial communities but who knows. Either way I still am consuming much more fiber than I was trying to be "peaty".

I am starting to think that trying to go "germ-free" by reducing fermentable foodstuffs is a seriously misguided approach to healing the digestive tract, and its much more about getting a microbial ecosystem that produces lots of butyrate (which im sure in a lot of cases, without a FMT, is unreachable).

The Microbiome and Butyrate Regulate Energy Metabolism and Autophagy in the Mammalian Colon
Yep.

Thus why the sorcerers overprescribe antibiotics.

'Die faster peasant!'

DrJ

Just saw this and thought I'd chime in. I've been hitting high levels of resistant starches with (frozen) potatoes. Very low fat. I feel awesome and a lot better mental clarity.

Was thinking to try potato starch when traveling until I saw this thread which seems to indicate mixed results. I'm eating 4lb potatoes per day but that's hard to do when on the road. How much potato starch are you taking per day may I ask?

lvysaur

I tell the story to now say that I strongly speculate that the bowel cleansing that I underwent could have well been an accumulation of unpassed raw potato starch from weeks previous which was jostled to evacuate.
Isn't this just Herxheimer effect?

You effectively gave yourself antibiotics (by removing a prebiotic input you were formerly taking), so a lot of bacteria would die off.

OP
B

BleuCheese

Just saw this and thought I'd chime in. I've been hitting high levels of resistant starches with (frozen) potatoes. Very low fat. I feel awesome and a lot better mental clarity.

Was thinking to try potato starch when traveling until I saw this thread which seems to indicate mixed results. I'm eating 4lb potatoes per day but that's hard to do when on the road. How much potato starch are you taking per day may I ask?
Well, at this point, im back to not taking any again. I eat one sweet potato and a cup of oats per day as well as whole fruit and well cooked vegetables. Im basically aiming for pretty high fiber and a fair amount of resistant starch from food.

Before though I was taking 2 tbsp of potato starch per day.

I think the fiber in the potato is actually an important component because of SCFA produced by fiber-degrading bacteria (if your microbiome isn't ****88, which potato starch might help).