Rinsing Beef Reduced Fat Content But With Extra Oil Helps "suck" The Extra Fat Out Of The Beef?

Hgreen56

i was wondering if you can reduce the fat content from meat.
I did some more research and found some really interesting stuff....

A study in the Journal of The American Dietetic Association* has good news for beef eaters. Nutrition researchers found that a simple rinsing process reduced the fat content of cooked ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent. And, blotting can be used to reduce the fat content of cooked burgers, meatballs and meatloaf. So whether you buy ground beef for taste, convenience or price, you also can enjoy the health benefits of lower-fat ground beef with a few easy steps.
Eat The Right Foods Companion Cookbook

Reducing Fat in Ground Meat Cooking
Industry studies on ground beef, lamb and pork have shown that with the brown-and-drain process, ground meats with higher initial fat levels lose more fat and cholesterol than lower fat ground meats. Even then, total fat content and total calories from the cooked meat remained higher for meat samples with higher initial fat levels.

Some iron and water-soluble vitamins, for which red meat is an important dietary source, were lost in the brown-and-drain process. Mineral retention varied from 84% to 96% among different minerals. Water-soluble vitamins were retained over a range of 66% to 78% among thiamin, niacin and cobalamin.

Rinsing browned ground beef with warm water (650 C to 700 C) further reduced fat content, but the beef flavor was considerably reduced by the rinsing. Use of hot water also reduced ash content.
http://www.oznet.k-state.edu/humannu...imely/GMCK.HTM

Method to produce a cooked, low fat ground meat product
United States Patent 5,576,047
It is well known that the cooking of raw ground meat produces a mixture of solid "chunky" cooked ground meat and a liquid phase consisting of liquified fat and water based broth formed during the denaturization (cooking) of the meat proteins.

Surprisingly, it has been discovered (see Example 2 below) that, after separation of the liquid phase, the cooked ground meat is not only low in fat content, but also only contains only about 8 grams of fat for every 100 grams of raw meat cooked, irrespective of the initial fat content of the raw ground meat.

Thus, according to the present invention, low fat (10 to 12% by weight fat) cooked ground meat can be produced from almost any percent fat raw meat, and in particular, from inexpensive high fat (.about.25% weight) raw meat--provided, of course, that the rendered liquid phase can be separated from the cooked meat.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...047&RS=5576047

BUT.... these studys are all about rinsing with hot boiling water.
This guy add more oil with the beef with the theory that the fat in the oil attracts the fat OUT of the beef and then the boiling water bath washes it all away!
With other words the oil is there to help "suck" the fat out of the beef. You then rinse it off.
i wondering if this is really true, i have search about this but cant find and data about this .

i was wondering if you can reduce the fat content from meat.
I did some more research and found some really interesting stuff....

Reducing Fat in Ground Meat Cooking

Method to produce a cooked, low fat ground meat product
United States Patent 5,576,047

BUT.... these studys are all about rinsing with hot boiling water.
This guy add more oil with the beef with the theory that the fat in the oil attracts the fat OUT of the beef and then the boiling water bath washes it all away!
With other words the oil is there to help "suck" the fat out of the beef. You then rinse it off.
i wondering if this is really true, i have search about this but cant find and data about this .

Ray Peat talk about that. He fries bacon and then re-fries it in coconut oil. I do that with bacon and re-frying fast food to make that fat exchange, and then dump the oil. I also boil chicken wings before preparing them and there is quite a bit of oil floating in the water.

PeskyPeater

Seems plausible. To mobilize fat you need to make it less viscous and manipulate the emulsion of it in the medium. Adding water while cooking meat is going to increase the emulsified fat and feeding the battered meat more oil of another kind like coconut can displace the fat of the meat into the water leeching it out, because oil interacting with the water content in the meat.

Last edited:

Quelsatron

doubt you can "wash away" fat with fat, you can probably replace it, but the beef should be a bit like a sponge. it has a carrying capacity and affinity for fat, cooking it, melting it, and squeezing it would reduce the carrying capacity, but washing it with fat would probably at best replace some of the absorbed fats with the new fat. But, given that you're doing it with beef, I don't see the point. Beef fat is almost always naturally saturated.

Maybe skip the extra oil and add water to the pan with the fat, and then drain it. This way seems less costly and quicker to me.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals