Study: Repeated Cooking And Freezing Of Whole Wheat Flour Increases Resistant Starch

nintendo1889

After reading about the Sri Lankan experiment where rice is frozen or cooled immediately after cooking, which increases the resistant starch, I wondered about other carbs, and found this:

Sci-Hub | Repeated cooking and freezing of whole wheat flour increases resistant starch with beneficial impacts on in vitro fecal fermentation properties | 10.1016/j.jff.2014.11.023

Cooking and freezing cycles of aqueous suspensions of whole wheat flour resulted in enhanced RS content that increased with each cycle. The increase in RS modulated the growth and metabolic activity of gut microbiota, which resulted in an increase in total SCFA and was particularly propiogenic. Our results demonstrate that it is possible to manipulate the native starch fractions in whole wheat flour to produce changes that are consistent with improved gut health. Thus, this flour could be treated as a functional ingredient due to the elevated RS and associated potential benefits to gut health. Future experiments should determine the enhanced health benefits associated with using this ingredient in foods.

I doubt any or few ancient people had the ability to freeze food in this way, so there's no paleo analogue, other than the rice/coconut oil coming from asian congee/rice porridge, which is slow cooked.

Another thought is that USA wheat is horrible, european wheat or heirloom wheat varieties do not cause quite the same level of problems as with the american mass farmed stuff.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

lvysaur

Interesting. Haven't read through it, do they mention whether the RS increase applies to the cooked starch as well?

That is to say, is it like this:

Cook (1%) > Freeze (3%) > Cook (5%) > Freeze (7%)

Or this?

Cook (1%) > Freeze (3%) > Cook (2%) > Freeze (4%)

In other words, does the RS% decrease, increase, or stay constant during a cooking cycle?

I enjoy potatoes boiled and then chilled before eating to increase RS, rice also.

Vinny

And what are the benefits of RS?

pauljacob

For me it supposedly reduces the spike in blood sugar. Potatoes and bananas are my main sources for Potassium, and a medium size spud jacks up Glucose to over 140 after an hour of eating it.

boris

Resistant starch can't get digested by us and instead travels down the intestine to feed the bacteria. There is a big health community that swears by it. I am not a fan personally, a big serving of cooked and then cooled potatoes stops my bowel movements for like 24 hours.

Starchy food that gets cooked and then cooled produces RS. Reheating the food will not destroy the created RS.

pauljacob

Starchy food that gets cooked and then cooled produces RS. Reheating the food will not destroy the created RS.
Thank you boris. Will reheating the potato prevent it from feeding gut bacteria and, per Vegancrossfit, prevent it from causing gut irritation and colon fermentation?

boris

@pauljacob That would be RS3 which can not get broken down by heat, so it would still feed bacteria.

But I don't know about if it will cause irritation if you have a good gut.

Keep in mind that doesn't count for reheated potatoes though. RS3 does not get broken down by heat.

• RS1 – Physically inaccessible or undigestible resistant starch, such as that found in seeds or legumes and unprocessed whole grains.
  • RS2 – Resistant starch is inaccessible to enzymes due to starch conformation, as in green bananas and high amylose corn starch
  • RS3 – Resistant starch that is formed when starch-containing foods are cooked and cooled, such as pasta. Occurs due to retrogradation, which refers to the collective processes of dissolved starch becoming less soluble after being heated and dissolved in water and then cooled.
  • RS4 – Starches that have been chemically modified to resist digestion -wikipedia

gaze

Definitely be very cautious of RS if you already have hormonal or bacterial problems. Can be life threatening if you already have a leaky gut leading to a bacterial storm.

pauljacob

Definitely be very cautious of RS if you already have hormonal or bacterial problems. Can be life threatening if you already have a leaky gut leading to a bacterial storm.
Thank you Kammas. Due to much stress, I've suddenly become constipated (now for more than a week). I also feel some discomfort in the area of the stomach. Normally I have a regular stool movement in the morning and the stool is at least 2 inches in diameter and long, ending with a shadow wipe. This constipation happened to me once before four years ago and it went away by itself. Any ideas about the constipation?

Vegancrossfit

I’d stay away from any and all starches if constipated.
The only way I consume them is thoroughly cooked. If I have rice leftovers from the steamer I throw it away... which I try to avoid of course

pauljacob

I’d stay away from any and all starches if constipated.
The only way I consume them is thoroughly cooked. If I have rice leftovers from the steamer I throw it away... which I try to avoid of course
:thumbsup: Thank you Vegancrossfit. Since there is less than 1% starch left in a fully ripe banana, is it safe to eat that? I normally eat two ripe bananas per day for the Potassium.

gaze

:thumbsup: Thank you Vegancrossfit. Since there is less than 1% starch left in a fully ripe banana, is it safe to eat that? I normally eat two ripe bananas per day for the Potassium.

Some people have allergy’s to bananas, so it’s individual. Is there a reason you don’t get potassium from milk and OJ?

pauljacob

Some people have allergy’s to bananas, so it’s individual. Is there a reason you don’t get potassium from milk and OJ?
It is very hard for me to satisfy the daily requirement for Potassium which is 4700 mg. I don't drink milk, but I make yogurt from whole milk and eat that every day. I eat oranges. Is there an advantage to OJ?

I like potato salad with grated cabbage and a light oil dressing, however you need small amounts, bit like a 'side' dish if you will.
I can thoroughly recommend enteric coated oregano oil gel capsules if you think your intestinal bacteria is off. The caps I use are enteric coated and contain 55% Carvacrol (the active ingredient) :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals